New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1027206 times)

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #1440 on: Mar 10, 2018, 01:44 PM »
Yes they were

Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1441 on: Mar 10, 2018, 01:50 PM »
Anyone fishing Sylvan tomorrow?  Looks like I'm gonna give it a go.

There's guys out there Jason.

Spud spud spud.

I don't think any cracks and old drain holes have froze over.

Offline H2O-32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1442 on: Mar 10, 2018, 05:06 PM »
I saw the kites. 3 shanties out too. I did not check the ice. I fished the canal for awhile, no bites. While I was there saw a guy take a canoe out. Couldn't tell if he had a wetsuit on but he did have his pfd on. brrrrr. Also briefly cast a few at Schiebels, nada. Tried Lock 23 on the way back home, no go. Must...find...fish...s oon.... aaaahhhhhggghhhh... lol.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1443 on: Mar 10, 2018, 05:28 PM »
those kite things really  go ,looks like fun

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1444 on: Mar 10, 2018, 06:53 PM »
I love that new camera.

Offline Looper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1445 on: Mar 11, 2018, 06:08 PM »
With all the run off, the water level of the lake is so high, some people are nuts, we're going to see ice islands soon!

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1446 on: Mar 11, 2018, 06:56 PM »
Not yet

Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1447 on: Mar 11, 2018, 07:10 PM »
pond by my house was iced over a few days ago I even stepped on it  today geese are swimming in it

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1448 on: Mar 12, 2018, 12:31 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

I brought the long poles out and fished the canal yesterday morning. I was a lone warrior out there. I gave it a couple of hours effort, nary a hit. Casting sonars and bucktails. from under the bridge all the way out to the tender house.

I kept looking out on the ice off the beach. When I got there, 3 huts could be seen. When I left , at 9:30 there were 11 huts and sitters. More were making there way out on the ice from the beach parking lot.

After chastising the  5 who were out there the previous day, I at least felt the obligation to check the access from the rip rap shoreline along the parking lot. It didn't look that hairy at all. In fact, had I brought the  short poles I most likely would have attempted entry myself. So, mea culpa, out of ignorance of the situation and my tendency to err on the side of safety I was too quick to judge those hardy, not necessarily stupid, fishermen who chose to gain entry that day and yesterday. All this being said, I did not venture out on the ice and I did not cut any holes and I am not writing a conditions report, nor recommending access. Just apologizing to those I may have offended with my comment about being "a leader not a follower". That comment was more narrowly directed at the snowmobiler who had shown a lack of good judgement.  When you make a mistake, as I did, "man up" or in the name of gender equality "woman up"

Boggey

Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1449 on: Mar 12, 2018, 05:41 AM »
I think we error on the side of caution Jbog and there is nothing wrong with that. The ice blew in there and pushed all of the bad shore ice into the wall. So you can get on there okay. Not sure what will happen when the wind blows East though...

My concern isn't actually getting on the ice, it is what is under the snow once you get out there. I was out last week in a different location and found 2 spots on the way out that I would have easily fallen into if I did not have my spud. They were not obvious because they were covered in snow.

So following the leader is not a great idea right now. Unless you are literally following their tracks and spudding the whole way.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1450 on: Mar 12, 2018, 06:03 AM »
before the wind I went down and the shore was gone you had to wade to get out or  maybe planks , I never actually got on the ice but it had that dark grey  honeycombed look to it ..... now that's not a ice report it's just a observation .....if you go out I suggest float suit   picks  spud and signal device or phone .....

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1451 on: Mar 12, 2018, 06:21 AM »

All I can say is please use caution and use your spud , this is the time of year the fishing can be great but the ice can be deceiving   

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1452 on: Mar 12, 2018, 06:44 AM »
a buddy would be a great idea

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1453 on: Mar 12, 2018, 06:53 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

As always.......
SPUD SPUD SPUD
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline jimbo13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1454 on: Mar 12, 2018, 08:33 AM »
a buddy would be a great idea

Trap , that's exactly what I did on Sat. was able to connect w/ a local thru F/B, met in the lot and walked out together other wise I would have been home working the Honey Do list.  I found 6in of white ice over 6in of solid black ice, getting off the rocks at shore was a bit tricky , but once out 30 feet was rock solid . 2 keeper eyes, 6 keeper perch one Burbot, good end to my ice season. those guys w/ the kites were having a blast kept me entertained mid day till the bite got better. HUGE thank you to all who post on here , and thank you to the moderators for keeping this thread going , it works for me  ;D

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1455 on: Mar 12, 2018, 11:05 AM »
jimbo the day I went up I would have needed chest waders to get to the ice , by the way your the first with a  ice report .... glad you had fun and was safe  :thumbsup:

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #1456 on: Mar 12, 2018, 01:03 PM »
ate a little crow this morning...yuk.......ju st had to try the Beach and was surprised how easy the access was from the rocks......little mushy the first 20 yds but frozen path was fine......walking was a breeze.....just brought the jet sled......8 or 10 guys out when I left at 1......fished in 19 fow and picked away for a dozen decent perch.....a few short eyes also......drilled 3 holes and found 5" of skimmed over slush then at least 16 " of ok ice.......felt very safe.......auger went thru pretty easy......there was a few inches of snow on top, but keep to the path and all was good.......IMO a 45 degree day will make that top 5"-6" of stuff will loosen up and make it nasty......to my amazement a guy accessed on the beach with a tracked argo and went out to at least 26 fow.....looked like a small tank coming out :o......wouldn't recommend that but to each their own......spud was in my hand also......this was just my observations from where I was and am not saying the whole area is good to go, so use caution and bring your safety gear

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1457 on: Mar 12, 2018, 03:04 PM »
Im suprised the ice has held up or is still covering main lake i have not been out since the 75degree day. but only open water i see is the shore line and around dutchmans island and a stretch towards south shore launch. But ill say this when i was out there were some big open holes and if u cant seem them under the snow crust it would be a role of the dice. I was hoping for some teen or single temps to set it back up but i im done ready for spring. Weird season on good early cold snap had us out there fairy early and one early heat wave had it shut down early....

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1458 on: Mar 13, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Anybody look at the forecast?

Just after we get another foot of snow it's going to be in the teens every night. We just can't win I guess.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1459 on: Mar 13, 2018, 05:20 PM »

Your right Bruce this couldn’t come at a more inopportune time 🤬

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1460 on: Mar 13, 2018, 05:48 PM »
I agree guys.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1461 on: Mar 13, 2018, 05:57 PM »
those kite things really  go ,looks like fun

Not for this old guys legs and back..
But it does look like fun...   ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1462 on: Mar 14, 2018, 10:37 AM »

Yeh, you are right Dom. You are remarkably well preserved for 118 years old. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1463 on: Mar 14, 2018, 10:40 AM »

I hurt myself pretty good with a smaller training size traction kite.  They are fun but you have to learn how to quickly get it to stop making lift or you can go for a ride.  I took a pretty good hit in the ice after a good gust took me up 5 or 6 feet.   

Offline jimbo13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1464 on: Mar 15, 2018, 07:20 AM »
  Just checked the Beach cam , not a single person out , I would have thought there would be a few for the last day. Maybe too much snow on the ice to walk thru ??

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1465 on: Mar 15, 2018, 07:22 AM »
  Just checked the Beach cam , not a single person out , I would have thought there would be a few for the last day. Maybe too much snow on the ice to walk thru ??

Well over a foot of fresh snow tends to do that.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1466 on: Mar 15, 2018, 08:13 AM »
Yo Bruce,

With 16 inches on the flat and drifts over 2 foot high, I think I will stay home and work on Sweeta-Rita's "honey do " list.  (new hard wood floors)

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1467 on: Mar 15, 2018, 08:20 AM »
Beach Cam

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1468 on: Mar 15, 2018, 08:58 AM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

buy that man a beer

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1469 on: Mar 15, 2018, 10:08 AM »

Nice Z 🖐

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum