The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Strikemaster 40v 10” cutting out at end of cut. Normal? UPDATE w ION VIDEO  (Read 8168 times)

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
I can't wait for the video of -30 this weekend and how it performs.... take one for the team Josh! @) :tipup:
X2!!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
$510 plus tax with double club discount at SG if anyone else looking to make a move. :tipup:

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
$510 plus tax with double club discount at SG if anyone else looking to make a move. :tipup:
Steal

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Steal

Let's hope my wife agrees when she sees the credit card statement. ;D

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
Let's hope my wife agrees when she sees the credit card statement. ;D
Hey she gave you permission!

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
Looking forward to your report....
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Looking forward to your report....

I hope it gets by Friday night so I can leave it out next to the old jiffy and see what performs better come Saturday morning.   I won't babysit this thing  just to have the weight reduction,  it has to work.  I'd be so pissed if I was at moosehead or EG and it didn't.   Besides,  if I don't like it I can always give to woody being 10" and all.😜

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey she gave you permission!

Hang around nick and you might learn something,  the key is to wait until they are out of town for business and have it show up.  First time she sees it and questions it you just let em know you've had it laying around forever!   It's worked 30 years why
stop now.😁

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
Hang around nick and you might learn something,  the key is to wait until they are out of town for business and have it show up.  First time she sees it and questions it you just let em know you've had it laying around forever!   It's worked 30 years why
stop now.😁
Thanks! I’ll keep that in mind.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
stop now.😁
lol! my tactic as well. same way i filled my gun safe. she still has no idea whats in there.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
lol! my tactic as well. same way i filled my gun safe. she still has no idea whats in there.

Maybe these young guys will learn the key to a happy marriage is all about deception at some point. ;D

The ion is on its way from Lewiston it says.  I'm sitting that puppy right out on the lake over night next to the jiffy for a true test in the morning, stay tuned. :tipup:

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Well,  I'm not sure.   By itself doesn't feel 20 pounds lighter but I have to get them side by side I guess.   Given her a full charge and outside she goes.   If she still has a charge in the morning we'll see how she drills.  If not,  back she goes.   Stay tuned

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Well,  I'm not sure.   By itself doesn't feel 20 pounds lighter but I have to get them side by side I guess.   Given her a full charge and outside she goes.   If she still has a charge in the morning we'll see how she drills.  If not,  back she goes.   Stay tuned
Curious to see if it achieves the Gamefisher stamp of approval!!
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Curious to see if it achieves the Gamefisher stamp of approval!!

Okay,  here's the facts of the scientific test between ion alpha plus 10", ridgid octane with 8" jiffy torch, and 25 year old jiffy legend 10".  Batteries placed outside for 15 hours between -16 and -9, up to -45 wind chill. Legend outside in shed all fall and winter unstated due to lack of ice, last years tru fuel.

All units weighed with biologist scales.

ION charged fully.   Still 3 bars after 15 hours.   It weighs a true 17 pounds.  When first putting battery in,  would not  go.  Put in and out for a couple minutes and it went.  When I  first assembled,  did not feel light to me per say.  After grabbing jiffy, yes it does.  Cuts very smooth.

Ridgid / torch - started at three bars and was still three bars.  Drill was left outside also. Took off without hesitation.   Weighs 13.5 complete.   Cuts well, but more to hang on to than the ion.  The most versatile of the units, radio, cell phone charger, drilling in anchors, etc

JIFFY legend - started on eighth pull and idled perfectly,  cuts well.  Weighs in at 40 pounds however.   

Ion will take some modifications to fit on auger caddy.  I'm still not, sure, leaning towards sending the ion back, buying a 10" torch bit, selling the 8".  I believe that may give the most versatile package.

Hope this helps someone else  :tipup:

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good report. Didn’t think it would hold up that well being left out over night in them cold temps. Definitely a trade off when making the switch from gas -> battery

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good report. Didn’t think it would hold up that well being left out over night in them cold temps. Definitely a trade off when making the switch from gas -> battery

The battery technology is what suprised me most as well,  thought they would be dead in those temperatures but wanted a test in the worst conditions I could find
,  it just worked out.   It must be growing on me as I've been staring at it in the basement,  just came in front retro fitting my auger caddy to accommodate the  ion.  It does cut very smooth for sure.

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
You can buy neoprene battery protector/covers and put heat pack hand/feet warmers in them in extremely cold Temps.  I know it's added cost but pretty reasonable insurance when taking that longer trip up North for multiple days.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
I've mostly heard of people just taking a small lunch box and putting the battery in there with a handwarmer whenever it's not in use
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If I'm keeping it,  I don't want to treat any different than a gas one, I think it will handle most anything I wish to fish in.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The battery technology is what suprised me most as well,  thought they would be dead in those temperatures but wanted a test in the worst conditions I could find
,  it just worked out.   It must be growing on me as I've been staring at it in the basement,  just came in front retro fitting my auger caddy to accommodate the  ion.  It does cut very smooth for sure.

Not going to lie, I’ve picked it up and checked it over a few times, like a kid after Christmas!!

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
You can buy neoprene battery protector/covers and put heat pack hand/feet warmers in them in extremely cold Temps.  I know it's added cost but pretty reasonable insurance when taking that longer trip up North for multiple days.
I plan on doing this in extreme temps. I haven’t babied my octane battery once on the ice and it’s surprisingly still going strong

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
I've mostly heard of people just taking a small lunch box and putting the battery in there with a handwarmer whenever it's not in use
No need for that IMO. I’ve had my ion for 7 years now. No issues with batteries in the cold.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Granted the thickness and hardness of this ice this season isn't much of a test but I am becoming more and more impressed with this ion alphs plus.  My wife even drilled a hole with it yesterday, I could never get her to do that with a gas model. :tipup:

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Granted the thickness and hardness of this ice this season isn't much of a test but I am becoming more and more impressed with this ion alphs plus.  My wife even drilled a hole with it yesterday, I could never get her to do that with a gas model. :tipup:
Mine is growing on me more as well. Still seems weird to have such a light 10"

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
used my metal bit 10'' gen 3 last weds on 2nd musquacook. im impressed at how smooth it cuts compared to the strikemaster. was -20f with windchill when we started. did all my holes and half of my brothers and his stepsons as he has my old g1 unit and the batteries are more effected by the cold. like it so far and its 4lbs less than the strikemaster. only about 6in. of good ice with slush and 2in of crapty ice on that. least amount of ice i think ive ever seen in feb. up here.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
40 - 50 traps Sunday, the ion did them all except 10 holes I think, 2 bars remain.  I think it's a keeper when everything factored together. :tipup:

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
40 - 50 traps Sunday, the ion did them all except 10 holes I think, 2 bars remain.  I think it's a keeper when everything factored together. :tipup:
Glad to hear it’s passing the Gamefisher stamp of approval so far. Really happy with mine.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Glad to hear it’s passing the Gamefisher stamp of approval so far. Really happy with mine.

My buddy showed up with same one Sunday on the lake and all of my sons buddies used it that have the SM, they liked the Ion.  Key will be does it stand up over time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.