Author Topic: eskimo 650xd outbreak and general pop up question!  (Read 485 times)

Offline FrostyRod

• IceShanty Rookie
eskimo 650xd outbreak and general pop up question!
« on: Feb 29, 2024, 03:28 PM »
Hi All, just picked up a barely used eskimo 650xd popup. This is my first popup and i'm generally new to ice fishing so i'm acquiring some gear. Question about the popup: I've set it up and it looks like there is a lot of pressure on the fibreglass rods to the point that they are not sitting flush, they are clearly bending under the pressure of the fabric. now i know it needs to be a tight fit, but its to the point where one of the sides wants to pop in when i try to close one of the triangular doors. the shack has only been used once, it is basically brand new. Is there a "break in" period where the fabric will stretch? have i done something wrong during setup? are there adjustments in can make? what should i try? all advice appreciated! thanks in advance!!!

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: eskimo 650xd outbreak and general pop up question!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2024, 03:53 PM »
I've owned a fatfish and a quickfish 3, bought both new, and while I didn't take measurements or anything, it did seem like the fabric stretched a bit from being set up, after several hours. I could tell when popping it up, it got easier and didn't seem as tight when opening a door zipper. On both, the fiberglass rods were always under tension, enough that they would be in a very slightly "S" shape when set up, that never went away.
I wouldn't recommend it without talking to Eskimo first, but I have heard of people who needed to take out their fiberglass rods and trim them down a little shorter. I don't think there is any adjustments that can be made unless the XDs are different than what I have/had.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 29, 2024, 04:32 PM »
Setting it up and letting it stretch out some should help ...also make sure it sitting level and straight/pulled out ...that will help with the S curve on the rod/poles . Some things I added to my arsenal

https://www.landmsupply.com/lakco-hub-shelter-shelf

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-64-in-Gear-Tie-in-Black-GT64-01-R3/313478931?irgwc=1&cm_mmc=afl-ir-2003851-1420157-EdgeBingFlow&clickid=1dvQfJRbLxyPTBuwHWV0SWgoUkH3Amy5zSQNWI0

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 29, 2024, 06:37 PM »
The S curve in the poles can also be remedied by spinning the poles with the hub collapsed. They seem to have a sweet spot where you can get them to sit straight if spun to the right position.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2024, 02:33 PM »
If it's really bad, you just have to move either the pocket or the hub.  If the hub is off centered a bit, yeah another little hole a few millimeters or so will help. Stripping the end sleeve pocket off and resewing it is a major pain.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2024, 03:15 PM »
If it's really bad, you just have to move either the pocket or the hub.  If the hub is off centered a bit, yeah another little hole a few millimeters or so will help. Stripping the end sleeve pocket off and resewing it is a major pain.

This is where trimming the hub pole(s) may be a better/faster option .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline FrostyRod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2024, 06:02 PM »
Thanks all for the replies, I've had some success playing with the poles and it seems to be better positioned now. Looking forward to getting it out on the ice!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2024, 01:39 AM »
This is where trimming the hub pole(s) may be a better/faster option .

That too.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2024, 03:05 PM »
I think I would send it back before you start trimming poles.  That just sounds a little sketchy, like what if you trim them too short?  Then you have to order new poles from Artisam which can get spendy.  I have the 850XD and the QF3 and have never had this problem.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2024, 03:10 PM »
If you do decide to trim them, make sure you put those plastic end-caps back on.  The poles are sharp enough without the caps that they will poke a hole through the fabric.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.