The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Morony Reservoir?  (Read 2818 times)

Offline MTpike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Catch and Release into BACON GREASE!!!
Morony Reservoir?
« on: Jan 17, 2008, 08:35 PM »
Does Morony Reservoir have enough ice to fish? Is there any good fishing there? Any tips or info would be appreciated.

Offline spearfishen

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Morony Reservoir?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2008, 09:52 PM »
i have to ask where is morony res    are u talken about the impoudment behing morony dam

Offline MTpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2008, 10:27 PM »
Yeah. Not much of a reservoir, but that's what they call it.

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2008, 03:09 PM »
I've often thought of the "ponds" behind the dams down river from GF.  I remember reading that FWP has stocked sauger above Ryan Dam, and I catch the eyes below it in the spring.  So I know there are lots of good fish in 'em.  Not sure of the access though.  Maybe the FWP office at Giant Springs would know if PPL lets people on their property to fish.  As to ice conditions???  It sure would be nice to have some local ice.

Tight lines
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2008, 03:45 PM »
I fished those ponds several years ago during the summertime and did well on trout.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2008, 06:39 PM »
I asked the same question by sending an email to someone at FWP.  I asked why boats were allowed on some reservoirs in Great Falls but not others.  They said boats weren't allowed on Morony because of the varying water levels.  They said there weren't sure about ice fishing, but said it probably wasn't allowed.  I'll attach copies of the emails.

"Due to fluctuating water levels on Cochrane, Ryan and Morony reservoirs, between the dams, when relicensing took place a couple years back the power company requested those reservoirs be closed for safety purposes.  That is why they are closed.  You can fish them from the shore if you can get permission but boats aren't allowed.  Boating restrictions include all boats, motorized or nonmotorized on those three reservoirs.  I would say ice fishing is not allowed on any of those reservoirs either due to fluctuating water levels which would make ice not safe.  In those three reservoirs I heard there are some walleyes but I haven't heard about any other game fish although I would guess maybe some trout might have washed over the dams??  Hope this gives you some info that is useful.  Fred" Schultz, Fred <[email protected]>

"Access to water is not allowed on Cochrane, Ryan and Morony Reservoirs
due to fluctuating water levels that make use unsafe for the public.
Public agencies and the Montana FWP Commission approved closure of these
reservoirs after much public review.
Water access is allowed on Black Eagle and Rainbow Reservoirs. Regards, Jon" <[email protected]>,

"Hello, I was reading a brochure about the River's Edge Trail in Great Falls and it stated that no swimming or boating is allowed on the Cochrane, Ryan or Morony Reservoirs. It also says that fishing from motorized or non-motorized boats is allowed upstream of Broadwater Bay, on Rainbow Reservoir and below Morony Dam. The brochure I'm looking at is available online at http://www.thetrail.org. -Why would boats be allowed on some reservoirs and not others? -Does the boating restriction include kayaks or canoes? -Is ice fishing allowed on any of these reservoirs? -I would also like to know what kinds of game fish are present in these reservoirs. All I have seen is carp. Thank you for answering my questions."

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2008, 06:46 PM »
I doubt you need permission really, if you have been to Morony Dam you know there are trails that are open to the public.  If you want to drag your ice fishing stuff out there I wouldn't see what the problem would be.  It would just be like taking a pole with in the summer.  The sign at the entrance says that if you have a map from ppl, that constitutes permission to hunt it, I don't think it said anything about fishing.  Anyway I don't think anyone really cares, its probably just one of those insurance reason things.  What are they going to do call the cops and have him/her walk a mile or two out in the freezing cold through the snow to tell you to leave.  I doubt it.

Offline mmarcinek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2008, 10:35 AM »
Morony Reservoir to closed to ice fishing due to potentially rapid fluctuations in the water levels.  If there is open water you can fish from the shore.  You can also fish below the dam.  If you want more info you can call FWP R4 Headquarters at 406-454-5840.
Matt Marcinek
Park Manager, Giant Springs State Park and PPLM Northshore

Offline spearfishen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2008, 08:59 AM »
years ago the fish & game planted walleyes in the marony impoundment  but clamed becaust of the hight rate of water turnover all were washed out 

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2008, 07:26 PM »
I went and fished below the dam the other day.  And I saw a guy ice fishing in a bay above the dam.  I didn't stop and ask if he was catching anything though.

Offline MTpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:58 PM »
Thanks. Did you do any good below the dam? ???

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2008, 12:11 AM »
no luck that day for me.. try it again soon

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2008, 02:39 AM »
Last friday or saturday I pulled out a 16" brown trout from below morony dam.  -4 degrees that day.  It's going to have to be a lot warmer for me to do that again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.