The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Quit Waters Iniiative  (Read 19074 times)

Offline bigsky

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Quit Waters Iniiative
« Reply #30 on: Dec 20, 2016, 08:43 AM »
8>>>A.My own opinion is that we leave it alone.
  >>>>B. Or let the fishing license buyers decide by vote and not by clout or money.  Every Montana resident with a valid fishing license should be able to cast a ballot for or against any infringements of rights to use a stream, river or tributary as they chose.  For or against and no changes to usage, type of motor etc. Stays as is to vote as for.  Against, -Change to lower the HP of boat and the limits as written on the proposed changes.  This, in my opinion, is what is fair and conventionally a republic and democratic way of approaching the issue.

Agreed. Good to see someone wants to look at it from both sides.

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 20, 2016, 09:13 AM »
quit water initiative is nothing more than the outfitters trying to keep sections of prime river to them selves.1. limit of 10 hp motor,might not make it up river in some sections.2. travel in one direction only on some sections, maybe you can hire a shuttle driver to take your truck and trailer to where you want to take it out.we as sports persons can not let this happen.attend fwp meetings call them let them hear you. the outfitters idea of fairness is ,this river is not big enough for the two of us so get off!so do we want sit on the bank trying to fish while a drift boat floats by 10 yards in front of you or do something.its our choice.
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #32 on: Dec 20, 2016, 06:06 PM »
The disturbing part is Veterans and others with disabilities that require a larger craft for accommodation will be discriminated against with the passing of this initiative.  Reckless disregard by the Governor's staff to let this continue.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 20, 2016, 09:26 PM »
I agree the fly fisherman are crying about it so they can sell more floats.  The rivers are just too busy.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 21, 2016, 10:50 AM »
Do nothing and 2 years from now we will see the Quiet Mountains initiative where the MT outfitters assc proposes only horses can be used on NF roads and lands,making sure that anyone without a packstring cant get to our hunting spots.
Dont ask

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 21, 2016, 01:50 PM »
I live on the Whitefish River here in Whitefish.
Many years ago there where issues with certain types of motorized boats on the river, there were many meetings and the end was a compromise, a no wake river.
There had never been a warning or citation for a violation on the river as per the FWP.
About five years ago the first mile of the river was cleaned and scoured of all remains of oil contamination.
The river was closed to ALL used for 3 plus years!
Then along comes a group that thinks the river should be closed to ALL motorized traffic.
The main group for the closure was the invasive species I call "paddle boarders".
The argument was "well we haven't seen any motorized boats on the river for over 3 years", FWP said we have been up and down the river (while it was closed) and never saw one motorized boat docked on the rive?
After living on the River for 60 plus years and finally having a clean river I was never able to use my 16" Lund on the river.
Bottom line is they always want a little for a while then it all goes away.

Offline Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 21, 2016, 05:22 PM »
Kind of comical that all the people that cater to vacationers and all the people that move here want to change our way of life.  Seems like you give them a little they take a lot. 

Offline Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 21, 2016, 05:27 PM »
Oh yeah, don't get me started on paddle boards.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 21, 2016, 06:23 PM »
Oh yeah, don't get me started on paddle boards.
That's a whole other rant.
Seems FWP doesn't want to enforce any regulations on the paddle boarders on the Whitefish river?
No PFD, no limits on how many are on one and not night time lights.
The FWP says wellllll they (paddle boards) are fairly new and not everyone is aware of the laws?????

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #39 on: Dec 21, 2016, 08:51 PM »

The FWP says wellllll they (paddle boards) are fairly new and not everyone is aware of the laws?????

I want to plead ignorance of the law too then.  "Sorry, I didn't know 1300HP boats were not allowed here since this motor is fairly new to the industry and who would have thunk you had written that law to include me?"
wish you many hook-ups

Offline perch poacher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 21, 2016, 10:22 PM »
I too live on the Whitefish River in the Evergreen area.  The river here is only about 40' across and because in the lower valley, it has a lot of blind sided meandering curves.  In the summer we have kayakers, canoes, and kids on an air mattress or inter tubes lazily floating and having "summer fun".  Then I see 2 or 3 wave runners together going who knows how fast but fast using the river at the same time.  Where they come from I have no idea-maybe the Flathead River or Flathead Lake. I don't know if there has ever been an accident but going that fast on a small river with lots of blind turns is not good.

Offline BAMF22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 22, 2016, 08:00 PM »
Come to think of it, I might just start duck hunting on those stretches of river!
I wish I knew how to do this!!

Offline whiptail

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 23, 2016, 10:34 PM »
Just got word from a Warden friend that the commission is going to extend comment period but but he doesn't know for how long. They are still keeping public meetings. Here are the dates. We as the public need to take a stand on this Private agenda of the Back country hunters and anglers and say no. We just need FWP to enforce laws on the books already. 
A petition, known as the Quiet Water’s Initiative, was submitted to the Montana Fish and Wildlife Commission this past spring by Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. The petition states Montana has experienced advanced motorized technology on its waterways, which has potentially opened up waters previously thought to be unusable by motorized water craft. At its regular May meeting, the Commission initiated rulemaking on the petition, stating, in part, the Commission should consider being proactive instead of reactive to the changes in recreation on Montana’s waterways to avoid conflicts and protect traditional and safe recreational uses. Public hearings will be held to obtain public comment. • Jan. 3 at the FWP Region 1 office, 490 N. Meridian Road, Kalispell at 6 p.m. • Jan. 4 at the FWP Region 2 office, 3201 Spurgin Road, Missoula at 6 p.m. • Jan. 5 at the FWP Region 3 office, 1400 S. 19th Ave., Bozemen at 6 p.m. • Jan. 9 at the FWP Region 5 office, 2300 Lake Elmo Drive, Billings at 6 p.m. • Jan. 11 at the FWP Region 4 office, 4600 Giant Springs Road, Great Falls at 6 p.m. • Jan. 11 at the FWP headquarters office, 1420 E. 6th Ave., Helena at 6 p.m.
Whiptail
Pete's Tackle Shop

Offline whiptail

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 23, 2016, 10:48 PM »
I was just reading all the posts. We need to get 300 to 400 people to these meeting and let them know we don't want any more special interests groups running our state through sneaky initiatives. Quiet waters means just that QUIET! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( 
Whiptail
Pete's Tackle Shop

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #44 on: Dec 23, 2016, 10:55 PM »
Quit Hardwater is next.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Tkaldahl2000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 25, 2016, 04:43 PM »
I am a BHA member, but his is not an initiative that I support. If people would use common sense, new rules would not be necessary, but the first time some half intoxicated idiot on a personal watercraft hurts a kid on an inner tube they are going to try again.

Offline bullnbow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Dec 26, 2016, 07:04 PM »
Hi folks, I'm actually a bit surprised at the opposition here. I see this being unrelated in every way to the anti- trapping initiative. All this really is, is a look into what issues we may have on our waters in the future and an attempt to resolve conflict before it arises. BHA does so many good things for us Montanans who value our natural resources and the greendecoy stuff was actually a well planned attempt from BHA's counterparts to derail them by mudslinging. They really are on the side of hunters and anglers. I fully understand the contentment and the fear of what could be lost and I think it's awesome that we can have a discussion sharing our values and opinions on an important topic with each other. We are all in it together to protect the rights and values we have  and if we cannot appease each other then divided we fall as stated above. I think this proposal is actually supportive of that mindset by making an attempt to be proactive on an issue before it is a problem. Have an awesome day everyone!

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 27, 2016, 03:44 AM »
bullnbow the only issues we have on our waters is this initiative.it takes away my right to use parts of of rivers (mostly the best parts) or limits my use.this way the hired drift boats can have the waters for their selves and we can have 20 boats per mile.buy the way do you fish from a drift boat?sounds like it.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #48 on: Dec 27, 2016, 07:45 AM »
Those guys on the drift boats probably laugh at my old Ugly sticks that are dull due to lost varnish, scratched up old reels, frozen bait and worm containers in a Walmart bag, 1970's fish net, faded shorts or jeans, torn shirt, grease marks on my cap and duct tape on the straps of my water sandals.   ???

I am buying new sandals this spring tho. ;D

wish you many hook-ups

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #49 on: Dec 27, 2016, 07:56 AM »
 ;D

Offline curdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 27, 2016, 11:37 AM »
the bha is a liberal front group

Offline njoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 27, 2016, 05:29 PM »
 It is a lot like the anti trapping bill. One group telling the rest of the public how the public areas can be used. Always, only a certain segment seem to reap the rewards.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #52 on: Dec 28, 2016, 09:25 PM »
Helena Independent Record story on the initiative. Click HERE

Direct quote from Executive Director of Trout Unlimited, Bruce Farling...
“Meaningful” solutions often require reducing the use by some groups, he said, adding that the proposals are not “radical.”
mind blown....
tell me again how this is unlike the anti trapping initiative???

SCIENCE>EMOTION

Offline NP406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Dec 28, 2016, 10:23 PM »
Good information! Thanks!

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 29, 2016, 08:15 AM »
lets start a new initiative and call it the crowded waters initiative. limit the use of drift boats to September 15 to June 1 at which time they may use only one oar and only travel one direction(up river).this should resolve any issues that arise in the future.

Offline Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 29, 2016, 09:04 AM »
All I can say is go to the meetings.  Kslispells meeting is January 2nd.  Don't know if it will do any good but I'm going.

Offline Krog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 29, 2016, 09:22 AM »
Thanks for the link.  I haven't heard of this.  I'll have to read up on it.

Offline curdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 29, 2016, 09:31 AM »
love it crowded waters initiative

Offline whiptail

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Quiet Waters Iniiative
« Reply #58 on: Jan 03, 2017, 10:36 PM »
Wow I went to the Quiet Meeting in Kalispell tonight. There where a lot of great questions who, what, why, where and how. Not one commissioner or bha member was there at the Kalispell meeting there was (one trout unlimited flathead) guy there but he left before the official meeting started. there where 200+ people there opposed to the initiative. Commissioners sent two people there as representatives and to facilitate the meeting as an open forum . There was a letter read there from 18 legislatures from the Fathead that are opposed and signed the letter. Next meeting on Jan. 4 at the FWP Region 2 office, 3201 Spurgin Road, Missoula at 6 p.m. •
Jan. 5 at the FWP Region 3 office, 1400 S. 19th Ave., Bozemen at 6 p.m. •
 Jan. 9 at the FWP Region 5 office, 2300 Lake Elmo Drive, Billings at 6 p.m. •
 Jan. 11 at the FWP Region 4 office, 4600 Giant Springs Road, Great Falls at 6 p.m.
 • Jan. 11 at the FWP headquarters office, 1420 E. 6th Ave., Helena at 6 p.m. 
We need to raley 200 to 300 folks against this unconstitutional land and water grab by special interest group. at all the rest of these meetings. Flathead started it out lets crush this law before it becomes a law its up to you now.
We did get an extension on comment period till Feb 12th 2017.       
Whiptail
Pete's Tackle Shop

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 04, 2017, 12:42 AM »
100% agree.  Divided we will fall.  We need to support each other even if we don't trap, fish certain waters, run hounds, etc., etc., etc.  As soon as one pin falls others will follow.  The precedent has been set in more liberal states like Washington and California.  There is no stopping point.  Don't give an inch or before you know it you'll have ceded the entire field.  Stand united.

I consider myself a level headed and moderate guy, but on this stuff I really believe we just need to say: "NO".  No more.  No more restricting someone else's access for my benefit.  No more not caring because it doesn't immediately affect my preferred recreation.  Just "NO".

I agree with you Wingnutty, and I voted against the anti-trapping initiative, even though I don't trap.  But I'm not going to support behind the fence canned hunting over bait, or anything that isn't fair-chase, just to stand in solidarity against the antis. We need to draw the line somewhere, or there will be remote internet hunting on some ranch in Texas without leaving your computer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.