The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Rainbow Lake (Dog Lake) Fishing Report  (Read 2894 times)

Offline redneckrance

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Damn the Man
Rainbow Lake (Dog Lake) Fishing Report
« on: Apr 09, 2013, 01:21 AM »
Well... been up camping at Rainbow Lake (aka Dog Lake) up by Plains for a spring break trip for my daughter. I got into some really decent Pike fishing.  We caught up to 12 pike a day not even fishing all that seriously.  The largest fish that was caught was a 12 lber that my wife caught on a quick strike rig with two size 2 treble hooks on a 20" steel leader (because I have had bad luck lately with short steel leaders and/or flourocarbon leaders),  so I'm not messing around anymore.  Smelt or Zimmer Tackle Green Cut-bait worked great but I was unable to catch any on spin fishing rigs except on Zoom Baby brush hog craws in pumpkinseed that I would rub liberally with Mike's Walleye scent. I have been using that same scent for perch and having great success with perch through the ice. I rigged up on steel leader with a 7x Gamakatsu worm hook, and a 1/8 oz. worm weight and a large bead, and I barely bumped it back on the bottom. Really soft bites and you had to let them take the bait.  But all around averaged really good sized pike and they were hard fighting and a lot of fun.  I saw some guys doing really well with Smelt about 2 feet below a bobber letting it drift in the wind, I put all my baits on the bottom with 1 oz. slide sinkers and that worked for me.

I was unable to catch any perch, I believe the water is still too cold but those should pick-up if we get some nicer weather.  I was impresserd with the amount of life in the lake.  Me and the kids would go out after dark and look at all the crawdads, and there was a lot!! Not to mention baby sunfish and perch.

The most interesting catch of the trip was the very last Pike before we packed up.  He had a very unusual indentation on it's snout. A near perfect heart. Picture Below

All and all a good trip if you're in the mood for some for Pike fishing.

Offline RAM1961

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Rainbow Lake (Dog Lake) Fishing Report
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2013, 10:57 AM »
Dawg Lake is an early season pike favorite for me with kick boat or from shore.  I normally use a fly rod with my own version of a pike fly.  Almost went up Sunday, but it was pouring rain here and I figured it wouldn't be any better up on top of that divide with the wind.

Friend of mine probably ran into you on Saturday or maybe earlier last week - took his son up in old brown chevy truck and I guess they didn't do well, but said he talked to somebody camping there and how fishing was better when the weather was nicer.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Rainbow Lake (Dog Lake) Fishing Report
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2013, 07:56 PM »
ahhhh... look at that heart....maybe you aren't as much as a redkneck as ya think.. nice fish...always look bigger held an arms length away...but still a very nice fish....early dawg is always fun....good goin....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.