The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Cooneys most active fisherman  (Read 9473 times)

Offline Jpayo

• IceShanty Rookie
Cooneys most active fisherman
« on: Jan 28, 2013, 12:25 PM »
Bout to go try a new spot. I will start posting here how I do. I am at cooney more than anyone else in a years time. Not very good on the ice kind of a newbie. Summer and fall I usually get good numbers here. Best fall day was 65 fish

Offline NorthernAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 38.5 Inches of Power
Re: Cooneys most active fisherman
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2013, 03:25 PM »
Im doing the same, I have been reporting what I see or caught. I do know where not to fish..Still finding the sweet spot
NorthernAnglers - "You Catch It, I'll Put It On The Wall"

Offline Jpayo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2013, 04:04 PM »
It was a bad choice for me. First time not even getting a bite. I was between lookout point and first north shore point in the bay. Tryed from 8 ft to 36 feet and ran out of time.

Offline ugystik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2013, 04:58 PM »
new to the area and north shore boat launch didnt produce anything today. tryed for ling and walleyes.

Offline Jpayo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Recommend if anyone goes out to cooney tomorrow start by pounding a big bait on the bottom for first twenty or thirty minutes then settle back to your usual fish catching techniques.

Offline gblomquist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2013, 06:50 PM »
is there a story behind the reasoning Jpayo?   ;D

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2013, 07:00 PM »
I usually go out there pretty regularly but have only been out there once this ice season. caught one ling.
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline Jpayo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2013, 10:56 PM »
Gblo I was out today and no I didn't catch any fish. Went out there cocky knowing I figured something out the last two days and not even a bite. Tried somewhere different yesterday but went to same place I had tons of action the last several times out today. Both days were the first days we didn't have eight or more poles but biggest thing I didn't start out with the big bait that gets there attention bouncing off the bottom then put what they want in there path. After sitting there for two hrs today and having to go pick up my kids I spent the last ten minutes banging and watching the fish come alive on the screen. Had to go but if I was a betting man I would say I catch fishes tomorrow.

Offline Big Mo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If I should Die while Fishing, I Die Happy :-)
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:57 AM »
Let us know JP. I will be there Friday evening. Mo.

Offline Jpayo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2013, 10:04 AM »
Will do about to go out in a minute

Offline Jpayo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:50 PM »
I'm ashamed to say this but no fish today either. I talked to everyone on the ice and a few older guys had a couple trout. Fish and game were setting up when I was leaving. If I was a betting man I would say they probably aren't going to do that well.

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing makes a bigger fish than one almost caught
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:25 AM »
The F&G will probably do great as in years past they use about 150 tipups and live minnows >:(   What's good for the goose is apparently NOT good for the gander ??? - OH

Offline Big Mo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2013, 09:03 AM »
Hey Jp, where on the lake are they setting up? Thanks Mo.

Offline Jpayo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2013, 04:33 PM »
Fish n game got 4 ling last night and 3 this morning. I'll probably end up going with them Friday night. They were on the red lodge creek dock shore line. They will be in rl creek bay and west end of dam tonight. Ling are pretty much spawned out fyi. I caught a couple small ones at noon today and a rainbow. Also lost about a two lb walleye at the hole

Offline Tacojuan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2013, 10:50 PM »
What did you get the walleye on?

Offline NorthernAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 38.5 Inches of Power
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2013, 09:55 AM »
hey crew, Im going Saturday 11:00am - 7:30pm. Right now I believe Walleyes are in depth flats. Im going to fish 30-40 ft of water, during mid winter they like to be in the deeper water. The last 2 weeks I have fish 14-20 ft of water and only saw 4 walleye. They must be stacked up deep somewhere. Will try just off Marshall Cove about 300 yards south. Marshall Cove in the summer is about 60 ft deep. Hoping they roam in and out of this deep water in to the flats towards the middle. Will see.. will also be sunny saturday and the eyes do not really like that light. Last summer I caught a 12.5 inch perch out of there and in 2002 I caught a 15 inch crappie. Both on the wall.. I noticed on FWP the last couple years FWP has planted Yellowstone Cuts. Pretty cool fish to catch in the winter

Offline bsharp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:32 AM »
Has any one caught a perch through the ice out there or has seen on one camera?

Offline Jpayo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2013, 08:50 PM »
Hey everyone my latest report. One fish on about four bites in three hours today. Went way back in red lodge creek bay on north shore. Not seeing many fish back there. Anyone have very much luck this week. I went five days and didn't make out with much luck. Few bows and one ling but almost iced a walleye

Offline Tacojuan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2013, 02:34 PM »
Hey all I'm heading out right now ill be at Marshall cove in a black cabelas pop up stop by and say hello

Offline NorthernAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 38.5 Inches of Power
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2013, 06:17 PM »
fished it Saturday and did not have much luck south shore. Going to the big water next weekend. Love Pike

Offline Jpayo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2013, 10:51 PM »
So fished both days this weekend with 6 to 14 poles. Some jigging a lot of dead sticks in a lot of depths. Minimal bites no fish. Yes if I wanted to I could catch my limit of trout out there daily. No I'm not saying I'm a great fisherman by no means. This lake is pissing me off and I think best way to figure something out is to get a couple people together that know how to catch walleye and perch through the ice on a regular basis without live minnows and averyone get together and swath the lake with there electronics and techniques. Two years ago right before ice I seen three big batches of fish. Get like ten or fifteen people together and spread out and we fish aggressively for thirty minutes then move if nobody's catching fish or move the direction of the fish we do catch. I work all week this week but would be willing to try this Saturday if we could get enough people together. I ask if we do figure it out that we respect the system and throw spawned back and limit ourselves and not be greedy to keep the numbers up. Let me know

Offline NorthernAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 38.5 Inches of Power
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2013, 05:15 PM »
yep, I had no luck Saturday either. Fished Marshall Cove in 30 FOW and 17 FOW. I was right off steep drop offs, was not able to see any fish either. I am thinking they are in 40-50 FOW in the middle. I dont have a flasher yet, but a guy would need one to not waste time. I would guess the closer to March and bad Ice the better chance of finding them..Should start feeding a little before spawning

Offline Jpayo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2013, 06:28 PM »
I caught two ling and lost two in the first ten minutes today. Then action stopped. Might play hookie tomorrow so I can try my new fl-22 vexlar. Didn't realize it was fully charged already.

Offline Big Mo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 04, 2013, 06:32 PM »
Jpayo, Sounds good! What time of the day were u fishin and what part of the lake? I have been doing good by the dam. Mo

Offline Jpayo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2013, 09:27 PM »
I went to the corner where everyone else has been going on the dam. I got pole in the water at 1230 pm and left a little after 2

Offline Jpayo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:07 PM »
Just letting everyone know I'm going to be out there Friday on the main part of lake. Ill be wearing my lucky orange hat names John.

Offline Jpayo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2013, 07:46 AM »
Today I find the perch.

Offline Gsoldit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2013, 11:37 AM »
Would love to know how the ice is doing. There are a couple of us planning to be there Saturday Afternoon/Night.

Offline Jpayo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 09, 2013, 01:56 AM »
Ice is SOLID as a rock still

Offline Gsoldit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 09, 2013, 10:35 AM »
Good to hear! About ready to take off, hopefully we will catch some fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.