The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Bozeman area ponds  (Read 14309 times)

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bozeman area ponds
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2010, 08:18 PM »
checked out the davis pond a couple days ago for the first time. checked 6 holes with the cam and didnt see a sign of life down there......anyone know whats in there?
I've never seen anything rising out there when I've driven by in the summer.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 17, 2010, 12:13 AM »
Yeah me either and I drive by it all the time.  For all we know Mr. Walter himself lives in there
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 17, 2010, 06:37 PM »
Where's the pond on davis?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:22 PM »
It's fairly new.  It's close to Valley Center near the newer condo/apartment buildings northwest of costco/target  I took the dogs out there a couple a times last year didn't look like much going on.  Maybe they will put something cool like smallies or pike for a change.  Trout get old after awhile

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 17, 2010, 09:08 PM »
Ok now I know where you are talking about. It's called cattail lake after the subdivion. It had trout in it but not sure of the kind. The developers of the condo's on the shore I believe are stocking it. I fished it twice for a couple of hours this summer but saw no rise or had a bite.

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:39 PM »
I agree with not keeping fish just because of the former landfill thing. Plus I saw a kid catch a trout a few summers ago that swam up after his lure and beached itself. The big ones are old hatchery stock. I doubt very good eating. I'll leave 'em for the kids to keep.  Not saying I won't fish it, I just won't keep em. To each his own. Not critisizing if you do yourself. I've caught bass right where the willows start on the NE end. Trout in the same place. Not very deep, only a few FOW. I've heard the SE area has a lot of springs, and not the safest place to try the ice. The lure I used was a black jig w/ a a black grub tail and had a little tear drop blade on it. I had a trout come out of the hole at the mall when I was flashing it around on the surface. It was cool. Haven't been able to find another jig that looked like that. It was probably 1/4 oz.

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:23 PM »
By the by, I've been a little nervous about trying the river rock pond since theyhave those pumps going I wasn't sure about ice thickness.

Offline atcayko

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 30, 2010, 07:16 PM »
Went to the 'beach' this afternoon. Was on the south east side in about 12 fow. It was my first time there and i couldnt find any clean water until later on. Rods were set up for perch with one having gulp waxies and the other having a piece of nightcrawler. Nightcrawler is the only thing that worked...once... and I happened to be drilling a different hole and couldnt get there in time. Any place out there that is atleast able to get more bites? Took the girlfriend...she didnt last long. Hoping to find somewhere on the place to keep her interest. Also if anybody knows any place on the mall pond I may try there sometime.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:29 PM »
Let me start off realizing most people will think I am crazy.  I think the perch in the "beach" are some of the toughest fish to catch. Don't ask me why but they seem tougher than anywhere else I go.  I always find fish on the finder, lots of fish.  At any given time I'll have 3-5 down there I can see just staring at my jig.  Extremely light bites and they hardly ever hit the dead stick rod but maybe once or twice every other trip.  They aren't picky on color or jigs really but you gotta have fresh bait always.  I hardly use crawlers and stick to maggots and mealworms, not to say crawlers don't work I just don't like dealing with them.  Mealworms seem to out fish maggots but they are soft and you go through them fast where as maggots last a good 2-3 fish or 15 minutes. AVOID THE PINK MAGGOTS.  Get good strike indicators, jig a lot and look for soft soft bites if you want to catch a lot.  I usually go to the other side of the skating circle, about 20 feet of water.  There are a fair number of holes out there and anywhere is good.  A lot of people fish the north side of the circle and do good as well.  Any time of day is good but you might as well pack up when the sun hits the horizon, most likely the perch are done.

Offline hunterdan1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:56 PM »
In the police report this morning some one call the police because some one was fishing river rock.They said it's not aloud.

Offline icefishdave

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got a bite!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 30, 2010, 11:25 PM »
In the police report this morning some one call the police because some one was fishing river rock.They said it's not aloud.

Yeah, I was the one who took the heat for that one hahaha. Was out there in the shack, apparently somebody didn't like me there and called the cops. Cops called the subdivision and the sub. president called me (number was on the shack). I quietly left. Sign there says catch and release fishing only, and thin ice. There was probably 18" of ice and i guess ice fishing is out. Second time I'd been there, only saw one fish both times I went, and no bites. Fish I saw was a giant goldfish, probably 10-12 in. and real fat. Guess if you want to catch those, wait for the open water.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 31, 2010, 08:10 AM »
that sucks.  Ice fishing is not a crime

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 31, 2010, 10:28 AM »
Yeah, I was the one who took the heat for that one hahaha. Was out there in the shack, apparently somebody didn't like me there and called the cops. Cops called the subdivision and the sub. president called me (number was on the shack). I quietly left. Sign there says catch and release fishing only, and thin ice. There was probably 18" of ice and i guess ice fishing is out. Second time I'd been there, only saw one fish both times I went, and no bites. Fish I saw was a giant goldfish, probably 10-12 in. and real fat. Guess if you want to catch those, wait for the open water.

Here is the report:
Someone has been "poking holes" and ice fishing in the pond at River Rock subdivision where it is not permitted.

The way Bozangelas is changing you will soon have to register as a fish offender, and be preventing from living in areas with ponds. Ice shanties, not to mention effigies of you in ultra-warm clothing, burning on your lawn you will see.  ::) Well at least you didn't take a pee like that "50-year-old man who was cited for for public urination after pulling down his pants and relieving himself on some bushes by a hotel."

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 31, 2010, 10:29 AM »
ps... I'm heading to Oak street to catch some suckers for bait...

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2010, 06:55 PM »
Fished the mall pond this morning.  Got skunked but I spent most of the time riding herd on my 2.5 year old.  Ice is only bout 5-6 inches and getting slushy on top.  Fished over on the east side by the mall.

Offline atcayko

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 31, 2010, 09:24 PM »
Might try the mall pond tomorrow morning on the south west side. Then maybe hit up the "beach" in the afternoon to see if I can actually catch somthing out there.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 01, 2010, 02:12 PM »
Been out to the beach a few times in this past week.  Fishing is tough.  Plenty of fish so thats not the problem. They bite so light though.  Often the fish hit it and I don't see the bite until I go to jig, even with light weight wire spring bobbers.  I always see plenty on the finder but seems as the season drags on the bite is tougher.  Only got two this morning, and probably 15-20 or so on the finder.  Wasn't fishing to hard, sometimes its better to bs with the guys your fishing around.

Offline atcayko

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:21 PM »
For sure. And thanks for bs-ing with me this mornin out there. Would have been a really slow, boring one without someone else there. I was out there later in the afternoon and out of four guys on the ice i didnt see a thing come up. More bites but they're just so light and quick you can't see or react fast enough.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:55 AM »
I had a feeling you might have been on the Shanty.  Good to meet some members out there.

Offline atcayko

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:46 PM »
Probably hit up the beach again tomorrow morning to see if anything has picked up or not. Im determined to pull something through the ice down there.

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 04, 2010, 09:01 PM »
We should all make up some shirts that say icefishing is not a crime, and go out to river rock. It'll be a the iceshanty riverrock movement.

Offline Hardwateraddicton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 04, 2010, 10:19 PM »
Hahaha, count me in!
Jig... Jig... Thump!!

Offline icefishdave

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got a bite!
« Reply #52 on: Feb 04, 2010, 11:08 PM »
Hahaha, thanks for the support on the river rock fiasco. Couldn't believe someone called the cops on me, but that was the best laugh i've got in awhile. I'd wear a t-shirt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 05, 2010, 02:53 AM »
Isn't it all sort of ridiculous.  East gallatin pond, all be it kinda gross and nasty, is a pretty good place to hang out for a bit.  The skating rink is pretty cool too, though I don't use it.  I would say ice on the east gallatin is crappy at best with 3 - 4 inches of black ice and 4-5" snow ice on top.  If river rock had 18" that would be a great place to have another ice skating rink.  Maybe you could only use it from dec 30 - march 10 or something like that, so they could have some sort of safety regulation, but seems to me it is one more resource that just is not being used.  There are always people on that pond.  Imagine icing giant gold fish then playing a pickup game of hockey.  Sounds cool to me.

Offline icefishdave

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got a bite!
« Reply #54 on: Feb 05, 2010, 10:05 AM »
yeah and 18" wasn't an exaggeration. There was alot of ice on river rock for a pond. THe ol' hand auger definitely got a workout. I think  a skating rink there is a great idea. The ice had snow, but was smooth underneath. It would be a great place with plenty of space for skating and fishing.

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 05, 2010, 06:11 PM »
Fished the three forks ponds yesterday. The biggest one on the west side of the road was just plain nasty. I couldn't see my blaze orange ice scoop 6 inches in the water. Tried the east pond and caught a lot of perch. The perch were in the 2 inch range. They were by far the smallest fish I have ever caught. Ended up also catching a #2 largemouth bass, sunfish and some type of shad looking fish.

Offline atcayko

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 06, 2010, 01:55 PM »
Went to the 'beach' last wednesday. Perch bite seemed to pick up. Caught a few nice ones with a bunch more bites. Seemed to hit the jigs a little harder but couldnt get them hooked. I will head back out there when my camera gets here.

Offline atcayko

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 10, 2010, 09:00 PM »
Got the cam dialed in at the 'beach' didnt see much for fish other than one perch and one big sucker. Caught a 14 inch rainbow though. That was kinda nice.

Offline Eye.Deprived

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 13, 2010, 08:35 PM »
so I don't get it how can you fish a place in the summer and it's off limits in in the winter that area is set aside as a public park as per development regulations so that is open for public use right I'm down with fishing that pond we got to all get together before the yuppies overtake us this is montana isn't it hunting and fishing is a 2 billion dollar industry in montana so we need to ask ourselves do we need the yuppies or do they need us .

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 14, 2010, 03:37 AM »
I'd make the drive from missoula to have a "protest" fishing day on the pond. I agree with the winter/summer use, just someone who probly doesn't like ice fishing or understand how anyone could like it, and wants to legislate those beliefs to everyone else. People no longer seem to pcatice tolerance, they instead try to figure out ways to make a law, ordinance, or policy to force their beliefs onto everyone else in the idea that they made the world a "better" place, but it is only better for their perception, and really pisses people like me off. then again, it really doesn't take that much.

Another bozeman area ice fishing related detail that really agrivates me is the fact that you can't have atv's or snowmobiles on the ice at hyalite. Last year a forest service lady told me they changed the "policy" because they were concerened that the tracks on the snowmobiles, and tires on atvs were tearing up the ground below the snow and damaging plant life, and their noise was disturbing elk and bears. What a crock of crap. What are you going to tear up that ice that is going to melt into water? and they can put speed limit restrictions on them so they are not too noisey. The reason they are really not allowed is because so many hikers and x-country skiers were upset that the prestine lake was all traked up, and it took away from the "natural beauty" of hyalite. One time last year i was sitting in my shanty on hyalite by the trail on the south side of the lake, an overheard some hikers who were upset that my shack was set up and that it "took away from the natural beauty of the outdoors", and somehow lessened their hiking experience. I promptly unzipped my door, and yelled back at them I can hear you!! and i have just as much of a right to be here as you!!! and thanks alot, you Really took away from my fishing experience!!! I don't have an atv or snowmobile, but the idea that i couldn't use one if i did does not make me happy. I would have loved on last year after treking all over that place in knee deep snow pulling a sled with 100#s of gear.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.