The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Brookie tips for moosehead  (Read 2016 times)

Offline LimerickShaw

• IceShanty Rookie
Brookie tips for moosehead
« on: Jan 13, 2020, 08:38 AM »
So there is a chance I'm heading up to Moosehead this weekend it's going to be verrrrry cold. I'll be staying in the mud cove area and likely won't venture out very far away from there given we don't have a sled or anything for transport. When you guys are fishing for brookies up there do you usually use smelt or shiners? Also - have you ever tried crayfish? I've seen a ton up in that area but I'm not sure how I would go about rigging them on my traps. Also, I'm somewhat hesitant to bring up my Ion as I'll be fishing in fairly shallow water and am concerned about punching through the ice and maybe getting a big rock or something - thinking I may just bring the hand auger. Thoughts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline HighFlyer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Brookie tips for moosehead
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2020, 01:00 PM »
Close to shore, I use an ION and keep control when it breaks thru. No problem.  6-10inches of ice. Careful around any rocks sticking out of water near shore as you may find shell ice and wet feet.  Smells/shiners/ worms all work. Never used crayfish for trout but have for bass, either use tail meat or hook under carapace. Bring both ION and hand they don't weight that much and having spare is smart.
Good Luck

Ed

Offline LimerickShaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2020, 08:14 AM »
Close to shore, I use an ION and keep control when it breaks thru. No problem.  6-10inches of ice. Careful around any rocks sticking out of water near shore as you may find shell ice and wet feet.  Smells/shiners/ worms all work. Never used crayfish for trout but have for bass, either use tail meat or hook under carapace. Bring both ION and hand they don't weight that much and having spare is smart.
Good Luck

Thanks! I figured any combo of bait would work. I get annoyed trying to use smelt but I suppose fishing in shallow water might cut down on the tangles a little bit given i won't have much line out anyways. I really want to try and use crayfish but I don't know where to get them. I ALWAYS could catch them by the dock where I'm going but that is in the summer time. Maybe I'll use an imitation and jig - just weird because like I can't imagine they are ever not on the bottom so jigging I feel like would be a little weird. There is a potential for a big storm this weekend so I'm really hoping it holds off. If we get it I probably won't go up because I can't get stranded on Sunday.

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2020, 03:55 PM »
rubber band trick keeps them alive lets them move naturally dont give them too much line on the bottom a rocky area theyll crawl in a hole and hide
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline LimerickShaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2020, 04:27 PM »
rubber band trick keeps them alive lets them move naturally dont give them too much line on the bottom a rocky area theyll crawl in a hole and hide

I'm not sure what trick you're referencing. Do you mind giving me some more info? PM is fine too if you'd rather discuss there. Thanks!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2020, 04:56 PM »
The old rubber band trick explained.

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2020, 06:07 PM »
I need to start using rubber bands again. I recently had trout take out line and drop the bait . Thanks Elderz for posting !

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2020, 08:14 PM »
 :tipup:

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2020, 08:19 AM »
Ah this is a rubber band hookset method! Definitiely good for finicky fish. I am referring to placing a small around band around the crawfish in between the body and tail and then slip the hook through the rubber band on the back of the body. This way there movement is not obstructed by having a hook in them and they stay alive longer.
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline LimerickShaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2020, 08:21 AM »
The old rubber band trick explained.

Thanks! So does the rubber band actually break once it gets pulled or does it just kind of slide off? Don't want rubber bands ending up in the water.

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2020, 08:24 AM »
 @)
Thanks! So does the rubber band actually break once it gets pulled or does it just kind of slide off? Don't want rubber bands ending up in the water.
breaks off in water most the time

Offline LimerickShaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2020, 09:38 AM »
@)breaks off in water most the time

Eh - guess I won't go that route. Sounds like the person mentioning it was more talking about for the crayfish than setting the hook. I'd rather miss a fish than put rubber into the lake if possible. Maybe the crayfish rubber band trick is just as risky - idk. Guess I'd have to find crayfish for bait anyways before I could even contemplate. 

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2020, 10:10 AM »
If you loop the rubber band around the line first and then around the reel, it typically breaks away from the knot so the band stays attached to the line.  You can then take off the rubber band and replace it.

When I go for brookies up there I'm always using worms, and fishing in 2' out to about 10-15' of depth.  Generally have the worms a foot or two off the bottom.

When cusk fishing up there, the cusk almost always have bellies full of crayfish, so they are definitely plentiful up there.  If you could find some smaller ones I bet they'd work well, but as mentioned the challenge would be keeping them from hiding on the bottom...I guess you'd want to suspend them just short of the bottom to keep them visible if using live ones.

I'll be up there this weekend as well, we're staying in Beaver Cove.  Going to be a chilly Friday/Saturday morning up there!
-Matt

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2020, 10:11 AM »
Eh - guess I won't go that route. Sounds like the person mentioning it was more talking about for the crayfish than setting the hook. I'd rather miss a fish than put rubber into the lake if possible. Maybe the crayfish rubber band trick is just as risky - idk. Guess I'd have to find crayfish for bait anyways before I could even contemplate.

You can also use a knife or nail clippers to nick one part of the rubber band to make sure it breaks where you want it to and stays attached to the line.
-Matt

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2020, 06:41 PM »
I don't remember losing the rubber bands, as others mentioned it stays attached to the line. The rubber bands I use are big enough so they don't break with small fish anyway.

Sploke is correct, the lake is full of crawfish but I have not used them for bait. A few times each summer the bottom is absolutely covered with them near our dock, it must be spawning time. We guessed we could see over 100 in just one small area. At other times we might only see one or two in the same spot. What's cool is if you shine a light in the water at night the eyes glow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.