Author Topic: waxworms  (Read 3361 times)

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
waxworms
« on: Feb 26, 2006, 11:44 AM »
how much do you pay for waxworms and how do they work???
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: waxworms
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2006, 12:27 PM »
In my area waxies are about 10cents each....$1.20 a dozen. How do they work? if you mean how well do they work, I love them and use them constantly for both perch and gills, the Gills really cant turn them down.

I find they work best with tiny jigs like a marmish jig or any teardrop jig and hook them on, leaving a little tail trailing off the hook..drives the gills nuts. I have even lost a few jigs due to decent bass smacking them on ul line.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2006, 02:45 PM »
Waxworms a great baits. They cost me about 8 bucks for 250.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

crowkiller

« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2006, 02:49 PM »
i like the butter worms a little better

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2006, 02:56 PM »
I seen some preserved wax worms at my local Wally world.  They actually looked very good considering they were dead. The color was perfect and they were nice and plump.  Has anyone tried these?  I don't know how they were preserved but if they used chemicals, the fish may be able to smell them.  They were more expensive than live worms too but they could be kept in the tackle box and used when you run out or can't find fresh ones. 

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

hali-man

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2006, 03:23 PM »
They do work, but not as well as live ones...
I pay about $1.50 for 50 of them.

Offline molsonport

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2006, 05:42 PM »
polar, hows the weather down in old Mexico?

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2006, 05:47 PM »
Waxies is my choice of bait along with colored maggies.  I usually buy a big tub of waxies (250 for $7.00), but I think I am going to order a bigger tub from Grubco this winter. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline THE Spud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2006, 05:58 PM »
 Won,t go icefishing without them allways keep a 250 tub on hand. Buy some around Thanksgiving never know when that local pond has first ice don.t want to be looking for bait that morning.Pay between 6 and 10$ a tub the preserved ones don.t work from my experience FRED
Join us on the 2013 Vermont Sportsmen's Tournament Series and The Northeast Icefishing Circuit .

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2006, 07:15 PM »
 i pay 1.25 - 1.50 per tub. depending on where i shop, there may be 2 doz. to 75 per tub. they're all i use except for minnows. i've caught everything on them. gills love 'em. last year i found a good crappie hole using minnows. went back the next day and waxies outfished minnows 3-1. i keep mine in a medicine bottle in my shirt pocket. they stay warm and lively. check them often, and pick out any dead ones that turn black. i've never caught anything on a black waxie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.