Author Topic: Question for fellow Helix 5 (or 7) users  (Read 2547 times)

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
Question for fellow Helix 5 (or 7) users
« on: Dec 26, 2018, 08:06 PM »
I bought a Helix 5 last year, and I love it for the most part. I have one issue that I can't seem to figure out how to fix. The issue is when using the flasher display, the bottom keeps jumping around the display. Like, on the round dial, it will show the bottom 3/4's of the way around the dial for a few seconds, then the bottom "mark" moves on the dial like an inch forward, then it will go back, it's almost constantly moving around, and it drives me nuts! It's even worse when using zoom. I looked through the settings while out on the ice, and couldn't find one that would seem to correct it, but it's hard to monkey with those settings on the ice when you don't know exactly what they do, and I don't want to make it worse.

Everything else seems to work fine, I can pick up my jig, it marks fish just fine, and gives accurate depth readings, I just can't get that bottom mark/indicator to stop jumping around.

If anyone has any idea how to fix that, I would greatly appreciate some assistance. In the mean time, I'm going to look through the manual and see if that has any answers.

Thanks for the help!!!

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Question for fellow Helix 5 (or 7) users
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2018, 09:32 PM »
Last year I used a Gen1 Helix 5 and liked it.  This year bumping up to Helix 7.  Under one of the menus, there are max and min depth settings.  I find that you should manually set those at each hole.  Attached are some of the settings I've seen on this site and compiled, but I've never seen the bottom jumping on my Helix 5.  I also used the freshwater transducer all winter.  I also know that different guys believe in different settings, so start with the attached settings and work from there....

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2018, 03:00 PM »
That's a weird one. I've had the HELIX 7 Gen1 and the HELIX 5 G2 and haven't had that issue. I typically take it off "auto" depth and go 2-3' deeper than what I'm in. Maybe it's picking up your jig? Or maybe the weeds below are causing it to change bottom depending on density at times?

Make sure you're up to date on the software. If it keeps happening see if you can find someone with the same unit and swap out ducers. That would let you know if your ducer is faulty.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2018, 05:22 PM »
auto depth is a problem for other brands as well.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2018, 09:19 AM »
Thanks guys, I think this is definitely an issue with the auto range. Next time out, I'll setting the range manually, and see if that helps.

Offline efka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2018, 01:16 PM »
Is your bottom lock off?

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2018, 09:01 PM »
Hmm, not sure. Where do I find that setting?

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2018, 06:22 AM »
Hmm, not sure. Where do I find that setting?

There is no "bottom lock" setting on HB. Keeping your lower depth readout in "Auto" is basically a bottom lock function.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2018, 11:17 AM »
(Sonar zoom view only) settings are on, off, default= off.
I googled helix 5 bottom lock to get this info. I believe that lets you use bottom view which is explained there also.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2018, 06:47 PM »
Ahh, I'll checks that out as well. Was able to test out manually setting my lower range today, and that completely fixed the issue. So, thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.