Author Topic: How waterproof is the Lithium Shuttle?  (Read 3099 times)

Offline Michigan Mafia

• Team IceShanty Regular
How waterproof is the Lithium Shuttle?
« on: Jan 03, 2018, 12:36 PM »
I wouldn't set my electronics down in a pool of water but I'm really hesitant to plop this down in the snowy slush while hole hopping.

How waterproof are these things?

Offline Rif_Raf

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: How waterproof is the Lithium Shuttle?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2018, 12:42 PM »
I think they pretty good until they get wet.

Offline Michigan Mafia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2018, 12:52 PM »
I've only had mine out a few times and have used the bucket to set it on while in the shanty. I just cant imagine it holding up very well setting it right down on the ice.

There's got to be something to attach to the bottom to keep it out of the elements.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2018, 01:02 PM »
put it thru it's paces while it's under warranty! stress test the thing big time!
i use mine and set it in water, ice, slush and snow. i am not worried about it one bit. using common sense like not spilling water down the usb charge ports.

i have been talking with a fellow IS member who's wife has made an extension for their lx9 stock carry case. she added 4" of materials to it. it looks so professional i can't see what she did to it.

i have two pics if any one to see them?

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2018, 01:07 PM »
put it thru it's paces while it's under warranty! stress test the thing big time!
i use mine and set it in water, ice, slush and snow. i am not worried about it one bit. using common sense like not spilling water down the usb charge ports.

i have been talking with a fellow IS member who's wife has made an extension for their lx9 stock carry case. she added 4" of materials to it. it looks so professional i can't see what she did to it.

i have two pics if any one to see them?

Please share.

Offline Michigan Mafia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2018, 01:27 PM »
I'd like to see them as well.

I'm not to concerned about losing the two rod holders by putting it in a case although I do like the idea of carrying an extra rod while bouncing around.

Need to come with a base with legs that would utilize the existing screws on the bottom.

Offline mszczep1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hard Water Fanatic!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2018, 02:12 PM »
I have my Echomap 73sv mounted to the shuttle, and I put it all in a clam bag.
Works well!

Offline Michigan Mafia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2018, 02:59 PM »
The clam bag looks good. I have an LX7 mounted to mine but it seems LX7 is a little taller then your set up.

How much room do you have in the clam bag?

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:38 PM »
The clam bag looks good. I have an LX7 mounted to mine but it seems LX7 is a little taller then your set up.

How much room do you have in the clam bag?

Bag looks interesting.  I also have an LX7 and it is a tight fit in the bucket. I have to remove the snow shield and stand it up straight in the gimbal to get it to fit.  I would like to be able to store and transport it without having to readjust it.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2018, 03:24 AM »
courtesy of randvt and his wife. thanks guys!

just got home from fishing 3am. i would have upped them sooner.

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:09 AM »
i'd be curious to see the inside of the battery compartment on a Marcum Lithium Shuttle after it's been used for awhile.  If any water gets in there you're gonna see major corrosion issues (Like the images of the 50v Strikemaster battery packs that have been floating around the net)

I don't have alot of faith in the simple rubber gasket they used...

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2018, 12:01 PM »
i was inside a vex recently working with a dakota battery replacement issue and it has no gasket at all and only 2 screws and the opposite side only has two tabs to go into two slits in the base and either side of the door has nothing at all securing it other than the two screws and two tabs. this is not a tight fitting cover and will allow moisture to penetrate very easily. these are built very much like the lithium shuttle where as most of the guts are under the head unit and enclosed.
it has switches and quick connects and wires going no where and power taps inside and out and that is what come stock on it. so the case seems to work with these units to keep them safe enough. not so sure i'd go w/o one after seeing it. of course the bag when wet will allow moisture to still get into the base as that's where the water is being held more so if snow or rain got into the case while it sits on water. the bag will keep moisture longer than no bag also.
i've used different water proofing sprays on both bags i have for my bird and marcum and they still get soaked and hold lots of moisture long after the trip and nothing has gone wrong with them because of it.

i set my shuttle on what ever the lake has on it with no worries at all. if it goes bad it is under warranty and i have the original shuttle to use.

i would think you would be more worried about not having a cover over the head unit while fishing in the snow/sleet/rain/mix. the head unit cost much more than the shuttle.
if water got into the digital head units if would fog over and this would let you know you have water inside. they use o-rings on every screw on the head unit and a silicone gasket around the entire head unit so again, i am not worried about water at all. in fact i want it in the worse ice fishing conditions there are while it is under warranty. the digital units have a snow shield also so it was meant to be in the environments.

if i was worried, a simple remedy would be to spray silicone or crc 2-26 onto the connections and/or install o-rings onto each screw and use form a gasket if i wanted more protection for water.
your making condensation on any sonar because your taking a warm sonar and setting it on ice. so using crc 2-26 would be a good idea for all of us.

Offline No Fish Caught Again

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2019, 06:27 PM »
In the process of researching the waterproofness of the shuttle it got me thinking SHOWERCAP as a possible cover for the bottom.  Easy on and off.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.