Author Topic: Insulated vs non-insulated, 300D vs 600D?  (Read 2529 times)

Offline zuren

• IceShanty Rookie
Insulated vs non-insulated, 300D vs 600D?
« on: Feb 22, 2015, 03:17 PM »
I'm keeping an eye to after season sales for my first pop-up shanty.  I'm a bit overwhelmed by my options so I was hoping those with experience could help.  I've done some searching on the forum and it seems that opinions vary.  My only experiences have been in a hard-sided shanty or sitting on a bucket.  I want the ability to house 3-4 people for panfishing and this will be riding in a sled I pull or carry on my back (do not own a 4wheeler or snowmobile).  I will also be heating with propane (sunflower or Lil' Buddy).

Insulated vs Non-insulated pros/cons
I've read that insulated shelters can be warmer.  Some claim they are only marginally warmer than their non-insulated brothers.  I've also read that they are heavier and the quilted insulation material absorbs moisture (making proper drying a concern).  Condensation can be an issue without venting in either shelter but there seem to be more complaints in the uninsulated versions.  Clearly, non-insulated are physically lighter.

300D vs. 600D material pros/cons
Obviously heavier material is physically heavier and can withstand more abuse, but you have to carry it.  I've read some guys state that the 600D material resists condensation issues better than uninsulated, but not as well as insulated making it a decent middle solution between an insulated and non-insulated shelter, with the benefit of being heavier duty.

Do my observations above seem to reflect reality?  I have been looking at the Eskimo FatFish 949 models and the Shappell Wide House 6500.  I'm leaning toward the Shappell due to the heavier material, oval door, and being a MI company but want to make sure I'm not making a mistake by going away from insulated options.

Thanks!

Offline SKAMPO

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Insulated vs non-insulated, 300D vs 600D?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2015, 06:52 PM »
I bought a new Kenai Pro this year after facing some of the same questions you're asking. I went uninsulated because I was trying to get my setup as light as possible. On warmer days I don't drag a heater along so I'm dragging less weight around, cold days I need to bring the little buddy adding a little weight to my equation. But with a thermal cover I'd have to drag that extra weight every time I fish.

The other aspect for me was the extra cost. I didn't view the insulated cover being worth the extra money. The Kenai has 420d material and doesn't seem to get terribly sweaty when I'm using the heater. So far I'm very happy with the purchase I made. Hope this helps.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.