Author Topic: Kokanee Fishing with Underwater Schools  (Read 4891 times)

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Kokanee Fishing with Underwater Schools
« on: Mar 28, 2020, 10:42 PM »

Ice fishing for Kokanee is a very popular winter activity in British Columbia and a lot of the western United States. Even though they may not be the biggest fish, they make up with their large schooling numbers and aggressive feeding behaviour throughout the winter months. The size largely depends on the fishery density and food availability. Generally these fish feed on planktonic creatures, daphnia or water fleas. They readily take small jigs and spoons under the ice. Typically a flashing spoon is placed several inches above the lure which attracts the school of fish over for closer investigation of your lure. They seem to like the constant movement of the jig. Gets them aggressive and keeps their interest until one is caught. Make sure you get your line back down as quick as possible because when the school is in the area you can have several minutes of constant action.

This video shows how fast the action can go and gives you a nice shot of a very large school under the ice. Also my rig is shown at the end of the video if you're interested. Most times these fish are suspended over deep water anywhere from right under the ice to 30 feet down. Once in a while I catch them as deep as 60 feet. Anyways if you're planning on getting out there is still some time left to go catch some kokanee. Get out and have some fun before the ice is gone!
THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Kokanee Fishing with Underwater Schools
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2020, 07:17 PM »
Great video! I love trolling kokes in the summer, never tried thru the ice have always been pre occupied with crappie and perch.  might have to copy your flasher/jig rig and give it a shot!  Do you ever use corn as bait in the winter??  The kokes I troll for in summer love the pink corn, im thinking a flasher with a micro jig tipped with pink corn below. 
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2020, 08:00 PM »
Truth be known Brandon between you and ViciousCircle the 2 of you are by far my 2 favs. for videos on fishing. The rest are good but you and Vicious are what I can definitely identify with. The 2 of you make me yearn and want more all the time. Thanks waiting for the next adventure.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2020, 08:52 PM »
Brandon than you for the video needed with all going on currently. May your family and you be in good health.
 Steve

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2020, 12:08 AM »
Great video! I love trolling kokes in the summer, never tried thru the ice have always been pre occupied with crappie and perch.  might have to copy your flasher/jig rig and give it a shot!  Do you ever use corn as bait in the winter??  The kokes I troll for in summer love the pink corn, im thinking a flasher with a micro jig tipped with pink corn below.

I know guys do use brined corn for bait, but I have decent success just on meal worm or Gulp Power bait.  Even in the summer we just usually use these pink gulp waxworms.  Simple and clean.   Give it a try, quite a bit of fun in the winter since you can watch them down the hole.  The kids love it too.

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2020, 12:09 AM »
Truth be known Brandon between you and ViciousCircle the 2 of you are by far my 2 favs. for videos on fishing. The rest are good but you and Vicious are what I can definitely identify with. The 2 of you make me yearn and want more all the time. Thanks waiting for the next adventure.

Wow thanks, I'll have to check out ViciousCircle now.  Appreciate the feedback, glad you like it.  Thanks for watching!

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2020, 12:13 AM »
Brandon than you for the video needed with all going on currently. May your family and you be in good health.
 Steve

Thanks, yeah it is back to the Hospital for me for the next two weeks to deal with the COVID situation on the so called Front lines.  We shall see how it goes.  This week I was off, was supposed to be in Mexico, but vacation was of course cancelled.  So I was hoping to go Snow skiing... the resort closed the season early due to covid.  Then I wanted to Go up to the interior of BC Ice fishing, but they don't really want us travelling around and staying in hotels... so stay cation it was!  Got out on the river a couple times and hooked my second Steelhead this season, but popped off right at the net.  Oh well.  Always fun seeing the float drop. 

You guys stay safe too.  Hope this doesn't go on too much longer.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2020, 01:18 PM »
Thank you for the reply to my post I live in south eastern New York state about sixty to sixty five miles north of NYC. Many residents of my county commute to NYC under normal work conditions so economically this pandemic is hurting people. New York also leads the United States in confirmed cases. My thanks to you and all the other medical workers at this time. :clap: :bow:
 Steve

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2020, 07:51 PM »
Thank you for the reply to my post I live in south eastern New York state about sixty to sixty five miles north of NYC. Many residents of my county commute to NYC under normal work conditions so economically this pandemic is hurting people. New York also leads the United States in confirmed cases. My thanks to you and all the other medical workers at this time. :clap: :bow:
 Steve

Yes, it is quite unfortunate. I've been following the daily world Covid updates since early January when it was only China.  We foresaw this happening, but unable to do anything till it is actually a problem.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2020, 11:06 PM »
Good vid and a good presentation, would not expect anything less from this guy. Brandon, you do good work both here and on the front line, I believe you know what I am speaking about since my daughter is in the nursing profession. THANK YOU, Thank you and in case you missed my point THANK YOU.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Apr 03, 2020, 10:05 PM »
Good vid and a good presentation, would not expect anything less from this guy. Brandon, you do good work both here and on the front line, I believe you know what I am speaking about since my daughter is in the nursing profession. THANK YOU, Thank you and in case you missed my point THANK YOU.

Thanks!  I completely understand, crazy times right now off the water for me for sure!  Every day is a changing environment.   Hope everyone can stay safe.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2020, 11:22 PM »
Neat video Brandon.  :)

That dropper rig to a large flutter spoon is a good trick to use for ciscos / tullibees also.
I have done something similar to that myself.

Be safe and have a good Easter.

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.