Author Topic: PLEASE HELP ME!!!  (Read 9418 times)

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
PLEASE HELP ME!!!
« on: Jan 17, 2003, 05:42 PM »
Hello! Im 16 and from New York, and im new to ice fishing. I was wondering if you could tell me some tips to jigging for perch and crappies. What kinds of lures do you use, like what brand of spoons and jigs do you generally use and what do you tip them with? colors? size? style? any help would be greatly appriciated. thanks
-Zach  :'( 8)

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
Re: PLEASE HELP ME!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2003, 09:59 AM »
Rat finkies never fail, size 12-14 and in green, orange, and pink, then you always want to get a dark color in case the fish are spooky.  For perch the larger ones like minnows and the smallers ones usually eat mousies.  For crappie minnows are all I use but wigglers work well for both species.  And alwasy use a light action rod.  All I use are HT Blue Lites and they are the best rods i have ever used.  And stick to 2 pound test it never fails, it's invisible under water and most likely won't break. ;D
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

ipunch2u

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2003, 07:22 PM »
I totaly agree with rat finkies..I use the glow at night tipped with a minner.  I have also found Shrimpos tipped with a grub to work pretty good too! :'(

3RivAnglr

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2003, 04:05 AM »
                 16 any good quality teardrop jig in the sizes mentioned will work. Most important is finding the fish. Main lake points with large flats r usually good 4 perch make sure the point is not to sharp a drop off perch like a smooth transition better. As 4 jigging try it all I usually almost dead stick 1st few minutes then go to an agressive jigging 4 a little while if that doesn't work well u can try pounding the jig on the bottom 10 or 15 times then raise it up to about 6" off and wait. Give them the action they want and hold on.
           GoodLuck Jim C.

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2003, 09:17 AM »
16,experiment and move,experiment and move.Trying different things and being mobile can make all of the difference some times..

Offline buck4dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is life the rest is just details
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2003, 07:11 AM »
for perch get the silver/blue rapala jig put one piece of power bait on it to catch the first fish then use the eyes. start right on the bottom work your way up jig a couple times stop and wait for 5-10 seconds. repeat if no fish caught move!

Kochman

« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2003, 06:11 AM »
First of all, it's nice to see a teen that has an interest other than Playstation.  With that said, I'll try and offer some help.
Your first mission should be to locate a promising location.
In my experience, sandy bottom coves, weedlines, and even the main lake basin have been proven perch hangouts.  Drill yourself a bunch of holes on one of these locations.  Now start your jigging at 1 foot above the bottom.  I have lots of different jigs that work for me, but my top six would be as follows:
1.  Blue Fox Foxee Jig 1/16 ounce (white body, pink head)
2.  Lindy's Genz Worm size 12  (white w/green eyes)
3.  Lindy's Fat Boy size 12  (green w/chart. eye)
4.  Normark Jigging rapala  size 3 (silver/blue)
5.  various brands of teardrops  (white, green, and all florescent colors will work)  sizes from 1/64 to 1/16 ounce
6.  Acme Kastmaster spoon (1/8 ounce)  green/silver and blue/silver are my favorite.

These are the top producers in my arsenal.  You're going to have to get an idea of matching your lure to the mood of the fish.  All of these lures will work with nearly all jigging motions, but its up to you to experiment and find what gives the best results.  I normally start the day with the Genz Worm tipped with two spikes (maggots).  I would recommend the same, and depending upon the amount of action you're having, change as needed.  Again, you have to be versatile and willing to change lures.  DO NOT be afraid to try something new, you will surpise yourself when you see how many different techniques will work.  Lastly,  my advice to you is tip all of your jigs with live maggots, although many guys have raved about the success of artificial baits while jigging, my experience with them has shown live bait outproduces these products when jigging for perch.  One last tip, take a few of those kastmasters and remove the treble hook from the split ring, tie on a 3-4" length of 4lb leader (preferably florocarbon)
and attach a single #12 hook to the terminal end.  Now put 3
maggots on the single hook and start jigging.  The flash of the spoon with attract the perch to your set-up, and even the least active perch cannot resist the maggots that are dangling below it.  Best of luck, if you have any questions, feel free to send me a message.

Mr.Ice_Fishing

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2003, 01:17 PM »
I agree with the rat finkes they are great. What helped me the most to find and catch fish is my veilar its great
MR> ICe fishing
keep them coming :'(

ipunch2u

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2003, 04:09 PM »
Kochman,  does your kastmaster set up work for other types of panfish as well as it does for the perch?

Offline bido

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rip some lips!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2003, 06:32 PM »
hey,frozen12footer gotta website for them Rat finkies or a pic? not firmiliar with them or i may know bout em' but called diff  like to see a pic of em'(if possible)  if you could help me out would be appreciated thanx

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2003, 07:15 PM »
16nPikin, there's lots of good advice here from everyone.  Follow Kochman's advice carefully and you'll catch a lot of fish.  I'd like to add that if you can save your money and purchase a flasher it will allow you to catch a lot more fish.  Read as many threads on this site especially the main topics about jigging, bluegills, crappie, perch, flashers and the state fishing reports in your area.

Kochman, I've done well on plastics at times especially when the fish are agressive.  There are times when they will hit plastics and not hit baited jigs but for the most part during a hot bite you don't have to stop and bait up and lose fishing time.  Experimentation with different types is the key.  Check my post on fishing plastics and some of my other posts and give my technique a try (maybe rig one rod that way and pull it out when a fish steals your bait and drop it down there).

Oooooo Rat Finkees are very very good.  One of my secret weapons....shhhhhhh
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2003, 07:20 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot, for fishing those tiny ice jigs like Rat Finkees and size 12 fat boys, etc., use light line, 1 to 4 pound quality line and you'll catch more fish.  Better action occurs on that line strenght and you'll get more hits when the fish are finicky.  Also, get a good ultralight ice jigging rod that is very sensitive.  Beef up your line a little bit on the heavier lures.

Bido, check out Thorne Brothers web site they should have pictures of the Rat Finkee.
Kevin Wilson

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2003, 07:22 PM »
Bido, also check out www.customjigsandspins .com
Kevin Wilson

ipunch2u

« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2003, 04:07 PM »
The infisherman videos are a  lot of help as well.  Check out Ice fishing secrets 2 :'(

Offline auger7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good things come to those who wait...
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2003, 10:08 AM »
I just ordered the video. Was free but paid $4.50 S&H. The order form is in the Feb issue of In-Fisherman Mag. Maybe on-line? :'(

Mr.Fisherman

« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2003, 04:55 PM »

:DHey you'll do fine as the year goes on for I just use a small pixie spoon if no real bait works and yes its best to try the works first on perch and other panfish because I learned this stuff off my dad. :'(

Mr.Fisherman

« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2003, 04:58 PM »
Hey, you got a good idea I never tried doing Rapalas under the ice I want to know what size to use for it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.