Author Topic: Fort St. John area ice fishing  (Read 835 times)

Offline IceEye

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fort St. John area ice fishing
« on: Jan 28, 2018, 05:01 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm an avid fisherman from Sask. and I'll be heading out to the FSJ area in mid Febuary. I will be bringing all my ice fishing gear out with me and will be doing a day trip with some friends and family. I will be staying right in FSJ and I'm looking for some direction/advice/tips on where to go within a 2 hr drive. There is talk of going to One Island Lake for some trout, but I'm open to anything. Has it been decent there lately? I am born and raised walleye and pike fishermen and I know next to nothing about trout, especially mid winter trout fishing and what patterns to be looking for. I will be coming with flashers, GPS and an underwater camera. Thanks in advance for any help you guys, and of course I'm willing to share tips in sask if anyone heads east!👍

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
Re: Fort St. John area ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2018, 05:29 PM »
Just north of John 5min is Charlie lake, walleye, perch and pike.
South about an hour and a bit is Swan lake, also walleye perch and pike, south of Swan another half hour is One Island lake, that has rainbows and brookies which can grow big.
Not too many other lakes nearby in that neck of the woods..
~its not over till its soft, --- "tfg".

Offline IceEye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2018, 06:12 PM »
Thanks Ian, between those 3 lakes what do you think would be best as for getting numbers? as I will be taking a bunch of rookies out that have to be kept entertained ideally.

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:31 PM »
Totally depends, I haven't fished Charlie in quite awhile but that could be a good bet-being closest to John as well. Use to catch lots of walleye on the far side near the cliffs. But walleye are not as plentiful in either lake, should be able to catch a few. Swan is slow fishing near the boat launch area in the shallow water.  OIL u should be able to catch a few fish being either rainbows or brookies- but have the chance of catching a nice fish to eat out of OIL, is the farthest drive.
~its not over till its soft, --- "tfg".

Offline FirstCast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2018, 03:23 PM »
IceEye, Charlie lake would be the best bet for you. Less time traveling and more time fishin. Oh yea chances of catchin a slab is possible,walleyes  will make a meal. Let us know how you do post some pics. Tight lines

Offline IceEye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2018, 06:19 AM »
Great, thanks first cast!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.