Author Topic: Where would be the best spots to set up for pike?  (Read 507 times)

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Where would be the best spots to set up for pike?
« on: Jan 20, 2013, 01:30 PM »
Just thinking about maybe targeting a few pike this year after I get a few eyes. Would you try at the weed breaks, flats, or deepest parts of lake? Then would you fish a few feet off the bottom, or a few feet below the ice, mid depth? Going to use tip-ups with shinner. Do you prefer to use trebble hook with a 8 inch leader, or a fireline with a sweedish pimple? Don't think you would have much luck jigging for them. I don't know??/ What do all you experts do that works best for you?

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Where would be the best spots to set up for pike?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2013, 02:24 PM »
I knew a dude that always tried to find weeds at the end of bars or humps where the steepest break was and setup there. He would run tip ups, one on the edge and then one out over the deep water off of the break but he would set his tip up at the depth of the weed tops that were on the tip of the structure. He faired well!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline skinnytrucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2013, 03:25 PM »
Just thinking about maybe targeting a few pike this year after I get a few eyes. Would you try at the weed breaks, flats, or deepest parts of lake? Then would you fish a few feet off the bottom, or a few feet below the ice, mid depth? Going to use tip-ups with shinner. Do you prefer to use trebble hook with a 8 inch leader, or a fireline with a sweedish pimple? Don't think you would have much luck jigging for them. I don't know??/ What do all you experts do that works best for you?
I've always fished them in the deepest part with a tip up about 1-2 feet off the bottom. Treble hook and a leader. I've also caught them while jigging. Lotta fun either way.
Da Buckless Yooper

Offline gruntngrin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2013, 04:01 PM »
We always setup on deep edges or fingers coming to the shallows. We setup some deep,some shallow and some on the break. Start getting flags and adjust the others to those depths. They seem to be coming into the flats everyone is gill fishing in for some free pickings

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.