Author Topic: Eskimo Pistol Bit Auger issue  (Read 16483 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Eskimo Pistol Bit Auger issue
« Reply #60 on: Jan 25, 2021, 11:03 AM »
Has any member put on the "extra supplied blades" that came in the Eskimo Pistol box ? Were they good and cut well ?
Asked the same question early on this thread. Answer was no.  I can't imagine why though. That is the first thing I would have done.
<===Lefty===

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 25, 2021, 06:47 PM »
Just let this thread die and let him complain into oblivion! Sh-t happens, no pound of flesh options for the past 200 years.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #62 on: Jan 26, 2021, 04:01 PM »
This is actually a good thread.  I have been contemplating switching over to the pistol bit. If there is a known problem with the blades, I'll wait.  Thanks for the info.

and this:
Just send the old blades off to get sharpened and when they resharpen them it will fix the pitch/angles.

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Jan 26, 2021, 04:32 PM »
Asked the same question early on this thread. Answer was no.  I can't imagine why though. That is the first thing I would have done.

I didn’t put mine on yet because I’m lazy and I have two new sets and a new centering point directly from Eskimo to try.  If I put the extra set on and they don’t work, I still haven’t figured out the problem and I wasted time drillin’ when I could be killin’.  If I put the blades on that were directly from Eskimo and they don’t work, then it’s an issue with the auger itself, I’m done, it gets returned, problem solved.  If they do work, I can try the extra blades in two or three years when I need them.  Most likely I’ve already upgraded to a light saber or something.  Does that clear it up or do I need to schedule a conference call?

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #64 on: Jan 26, 2021, 04:38 PM »
I didn’t put mine on yet because I’m lazy and I have two new sets and a new centering point directly from Eskimo to try.  If I put the extra set on and they don’t work, I still haven’t figured out the problem and I wasted time drillin’ when I could be killin’.  If I put the blades on that were directly from Eskimo and they don’t work, then it’s an issue with the auger itself, I’m done, it gets returned, problem solved.  If they do work, I can try the extra blades in two or three years when I need them.  Most likely I’ve already upgraded to a light saber or something.  Does that clear it up or do I need to schedule a conference call?

How did you go about getting the replacement blades and point ? Phone call ? Email ? Buddy of mine just attempted to contact Eskimo via phone on hold for an hour before he gave up . His purchase was from Amazon ..which appears out of stock now ..but could wait till February  1st for $292 ...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Jan 26, 2021, 04:43 PM »
How did you go about getting the replacement blades and point ? Phone call ? Email ? Buddy of mine just attempted to contact Eskimo via phone on hold for an hour before he gave up . His purchase was from Amazon ..which appears out of stock now ..but could wait till February  1st for $292 ...

I called them.  Could have got lucky on the time.  I also bought mine from Amazon.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #66 on: Jan 26, 2021, 04:46 PM »
I called them.  Could have got lucky on the time.  I also bought mine from Amazon.

Thanks ..I will pass it along ..did they require any "proof" Emailed invoice etc ? Or just straight sending them out .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline TCubed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Columbia Falls, MT
« Reply #67 on: Jan 26, 2021, 04:49 PM »
Thanks ..I will pass it along ..did they require any "proof" Emailed invoice etc ? Or just straight sending them out .

The only thing they asked me for was the serial number

Nick

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Jan 26, 2021, 04:50 PM »

I did the warranty registration on the product before I called.  I would do that first.  Lady on the phone was nice and a straight shooter on the issue.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #69 on: Jan 26, 2021, 04:57 PM »
I did the warranty registration on the product before I called.  I would do that first.  Lady on the phone was nice and a straight shooter on the issue.

This is most helpful ..he will probably be putting the other set of blades (which were included) on for the weekend ..I will report back on this thread as to the outcome of those blades .

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Jan 26, 2021, 05:04 PM »
This is most helpful ..he will probably be putting the other set of blades (which were included) on for the weekend ..I will report back on this thread as to the outcome of those blades .
Good deal.  I’ll probably test the replacement parts before next week.  Fished with my HT nero/clam plate last weekend.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #71 on: Jan 26, 2021, 05:12 PM »
Good deal.  I’ll probably test the replacement parts before next week.  Fished with my HT nero/clam plate last weekend.

Did you file claim via the website or just registerit via the website and then a phone call ? Hope you have a good resolution to this dilemma.

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Jan 26, 2021, 05:19 PM »
Did you file claim via the website or just registerit via the website and then a phone call ? Hope you have a good resolution to this dilemma.

I think I just called.  If he couldn’t get through initially, I’d file a claim then use the chat function before calling again. 
I couldn’t figure out the proper date format for the purchase date when I registered and I used the chat function for help (for example).  It was quick so he might be able to get help there.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #73 on: Jan 26, 2021, 05:26 PM »
I think I just called.  If he couldn’t get through initially, I’d file a claim then use the chat function before calling again. 
I couldn’t figure out the proper date format for the purchase date when I registered and I used the chat function for help (for example).  It was quick so he might be able to get help there.

Ok ..I will tell him to get all the irons in the fire and stoke the fires that need be ...thanks again .

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #74 on: Jan 26, 2021, 05:34 PM »
No conference call needed. Lazy is lazy and since you admit it I see why. I have changed sets of blades on augers many times and a couple of minutes didn't waste any of my time. I always carry extras sets to the lake and the screwdriver to change them. I guess I am just old fashioned and go prepared.
<===Lefty===

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Jan 26, 2021, 05:40 PM »
No conference call needed. Lazy is lazy and since you admit it I see why. I have changed sets of blades on augers many times and a couple of minutes didn't waste any of my time. I always carry extras sets to the lake and the screwdriver to change them. I guess I am just old fashioned and go prepared.

Thank you for understanding and for your contributions to this thread.  Case closed.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #76 on: Jan 27, 2021, 02:37 PM »
Ok so I Facebook messaged Eskimo concerning the best procedure to get replacement blades this was their response..I was doing this for a friend as he could not get through via a phone call and he is not a FB user...thanks to fishslap  for pointing me in the right direction.

ESKIMO

Good afternoon . The best thing will to have them get the unit registered. Once it is registered we can look at getting them out some new blades.  To register (you can do this for them as well, im ok with that)  Please provide me with the following:

Full name
Model number
Serial number
address
phone number
date of purchase
place of purchase.

Thank you

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #77 on: Jan 27, 2021, 02:50 PM »
I have used eskimo customer service a couple times on gas auger issues, they were always REALLY nice and instantly sent me out the parts I needed. Name and serial number is all they needed via email and I had my parts on my doorstep in 1-2 days. One of the best customer services in the business IMO.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Jan 27, 2021, 03:28 PM »
They have gone over and above for me too.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #79 on: Jan 27, 2021, 03:48 PM »
Thank you for understanding and for your contributions to this thread.  Case closed.

Whether or not you tried the included spare is moot... the blades that were on it were defective and deserved replacing under warranty. Even if the spare ones work fine, nothing changes the fact that a warranty claim is needed. Why someone else is upset with you trying the spares, well that doesnt make a lot of sense to me... Eskimo doesn't include two sets so hopefully one works.... IMO lazy would be just putting the spare on and not submitting a warranty claim.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Jan 27, 2021, 07:25 PM »
Whether or not you tried the included spare is moot... the blades that were on it were defective and deserved replacing under warranty. Even if the spare ones work fine, nothing changes the fact that a warranty claim is needed. Why someone else is upset with you trying the spares, well that doesnt make a lot of sense to me... Eskimo doesn't include two sets so hopefully one works.... IMO lazy would be just putting the spare on and not submitting a warranty claim.

Thanks.  I agree.

Offline Gent83301

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Jan 27, 2021, 09:12 PM »
This has me worried,  I just purchased an 8" pistol bit.  Maybe i'll drag my old one in the truck just in case for the first trip.  Work buddy wants the old one so....

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 28, 2021, 09:37 AM »
This has me worried,  I just purchased an 8" pistol bit.  Maybe i'll drag my old one in the truck just in case for the first trip.  Work buddy wants the old one so....

Yeah thats what happened to me I had already ordered it and came on here and saw this thread. Eskimo sent out new blades and I'm happy with the customer service. Make sure when you get it to register it, need serial # that is on a card tied to it, or mine was. Dont like when it happens that way but they did make it right.

FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #83 on: Jan 28, 2021, 10:50 AM »
My best guess is that Eskimo "caught" the problem early...and started a quality control/customer service fix .. hence the extra set of blades in the box ...as these extra blades were not advertised in any description I saw . They seem to be doing right by it thus far . Although I could be wrong.. as I haven't heard any one using/installing the "extra" set of blades ...and putting them to use.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Jan 28, 2021, 10:54 AM »
That's exactly what I was thinking.  Much easier and cheaper for the end user to just swap them out than to tear apart everything and change out the blades on their end.    Seems like a communication nightmare though...  Especially when it may seem you have a defect right from the get go. 

Offline Gent83301

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Jan 29, 2021, 12:32 AM »
Yeah thats what happened to me I had already ordered it and came on here and saw this thread. Eskimo sent out new blades and I'm happy with the customer service. Make sure when you get it to register it, need serial # that is on a card tied to it, or mine was. Dont like when it happens that way but they did make it right.

Well I'm going to take my chances.  Sportsmens was out of stock until just a few days ago.  I'm going to assume these are "new shipment" and give it a whirl.  I'm going to take my nero mini as a backup just in case.

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Feb 03, 2021, 06:02 PM »
My best guess is that Eskimo "caught" the problem early...and started a quality control/customer service fix .. hence the extra set of blades in the box ...as these extra blades were not advertised in any description I saw . They seem to be doing right by it thus far . Although I could be wrong.. as I haven't heard any one using/installing the "extra" set of blades ...and putting them to use.

I finally got around to changing out the blades and centering point.  The blades that were installed are at a much steeper angle than the ones Eskimo sent. I can see why they wouldn’t cut at all.  I’ve shimmed Eskimo blades before on a hand auger that somehow got off angle and I don’t think I’d try to shim these bad ones. 

For those who have been asking, the extra set of blades that came with the auger appear to match the angle on the new set that Eskimo sent, so after comparing them I wouldn’t hesitate to use them.  All good blade sets also have slightly longer screws. I might test it on the ice next weekend.  Sorry, I didn’t test it last weekend since I had my Milwaukee fuel and nero busy actually fishing for these:

Offline Fishin_Addiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Feb 03, 2021, 07:38 PM »
Did you put any blue loctite on the screws when you installed the new blades Ardisam sent you ?

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Feb 03, 2021, 07:47 PM »
Did you put any blue loctite on the screws when you installed the new blades Ardisam sent you ?

Nope.  Probably wouldn’t hurt though. I use it on auger shaft bolts but have never needed it on blade screws.  You have some come loose?

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Feb 07, 2021, 10:51 PM »
finally got on the ice with the replacement blades on the new 8" and am happy to report she cuts like a dream now
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.