Author Topic: January Gorge Trip???  (Read 7786 times)

Offline wyoute

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: January Gorge Trip???
« Reply #30 on: Dec 29, 2015, 08:06 PM »
This sounds like a pretty fun time! I see that some of you guys stay on the ice all night! what do you do for sleep? go back to a hotel/trailer during the day or sleep on the ice? I have fished for burbout a few times! but never fished the Bash or Classic! Was planning a trip for that weekend but mainly was gonna target lakers/rainbows.

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #31 on: Dec 29, 2015, 08:16 PM »
This sounds like a pretty fun time! I see that some of you guys stay on the ice all night! what do you do for sleep? go back to a hotel/trailer during the day or sleep on the ice? I have fished for burbout a few times! but never fished the Bash or Classic! Was planning a trip for that weekend but mainly was gonna target lakers/rainbows.

we do both and when we stay on the ice we sleep on cots heaters running with fresh air flowing at all time so it don't shut down and then there is times that we have my hotel on wheels  ;D ;D

Offline Owens222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 29, 2015, 08:47 PM »
Always wanted to go up and fish the gorge, maybe this year will be the year.

Offline Duneman101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 30, 2015, 08:41 AM »
Me and a couple buddies should be there for the BB. 

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • friends with the same mental disorder....priceless
« Reply #34 on: Dec 31, 2015, 08:43 AM »
My plan is to bring the mother ship up again this year. I plan to do a drive by on the 16th or 17th to check out the area. If the water is higher I may have to park on the road just above where we parked last year. I'll keep every one posted.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #35 on: Dec 31, 2015, 10:40 AM »
Looks like slap, fishonone, hooffish and Luke are going up there Saturday to check it out and stay on the ice for the night. They have been talking about it on the utah R&C board for the gorge.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 31, 2015, 04:54 PM »
Great...will save a drive by .

Offline Woofy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 31, 2015, 05:52 PM »
... Anyone remember the guy who took the jeep out there a few years ago?

The guy with the Jeep was my buddy Mark, he's out in Massachusetts enjoying the warm weather the east coast was cursed with.   

Offline Lowens110

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 02, 2016, 07:12 PM »
Confluence was 13" yesterday in the channel! The -27° at 6 am is for sure making it thick fast. Grew about 9" in a week

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 06, 2016, 08:26 AM »
Looks like slap, fishonone, hooffish and Luke are going up there Saturday to check it out and stay on the ice for the night. They have been talking about it on the utah R&C board for the gorge.
Did you guys make it to last years spot ? If so how did it look ?

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #40 on: Jan 07, 2016, 07:44 AM »

sorry it took a while to get back we did not go to the same spot but we were in the same area but the ice is down stream more so more than likely I think slap was talking about going down to buck board I am still trying to work things out so I can go 

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Jan 07, 2016, 07:57 AM »
If and when you guys decide let me know where and I can get the map out. I do have the previous years spots marked and the spot we looked at last year before the ice went to crap
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline SlaptheFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The best things in LIFE are done on ICE!!!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:20 AM »

Roads were covered in packed snow, but traction was still good.  There were a couple of "small" trailers that made it down Lost Dog, but I'm not even 50% confident that we could pull our trailers down the road we did last year if conditions stay the same up there.  There are some warmer temperatures ahead so I don't know what that will do for the roads.  The second item is the drive from Lost Dog to the BB registration is quite a bit out of the way.  I think as long as the Ice grows plenty down by Buckboard we will take our chances pulling the trailers the short distance in there.  Only time can tell for us now, hope it gets cold and the snow stays away up there. 

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:23 AM »
Ice should be plenty good around the shores of buck board by then. I believe they already are
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 07, 2016, 05:58 PM »
Thanks Slap and Fishonone, I agree that if the roads are questionable that Buckboard would be the safe bet. Don't want to get the Mothership stuck until spring. I'll keep my eyes open for any changes. Thanks again

Offline bronvike21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 09, 2016, 07:47 PM »
Is there snow on the ice? Enough for snowmobile? With the ice being good this year are you guys camping at lost dog or buckboard?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Jan 09, 2016, 08:48 PM »
3-4in of snow on the ice this year, sled should be good to go. Just be aware if how much ice is under that snow. The further south you go the less ice you will find
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline bronvike21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 09, 2016, 09:15 PM »
We are thinking just north of buckboard. From what I've heard it should be ok. If someone knows different let me know.
Thanks

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #48 on: Jan 10, 2016, 11:08 AM »
I think we will be at buckboard it is looking very good for me going ;D ;D I will know tomorrow for sure

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 10, 2016, 04:27 PM »
Good news Fishonone , do you plan on using the RV park ? I heard that they frown on wheelers.

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #50 on: Jan 10, 2016, 05:15 PM »
No if we go to that area we go down road 8 it is just past buckboard it is a good place for trailers and I will be sleeping on the ice this year

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 10, 2016, 07:34 PM »
Fishonone there is about 6" plus at Buckboard. Drifts are deep, taking a trailer down any of the roads would be tough. All four wheels chained might be ok, Might! 4 wheel drive is a must all the roads I went down. Wind started blowing hard when I left today, I imagine it will create pretty deep drifts.

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #52 on: Jan 10, 2016, 08:17 PM »
Thanks liv2hunt we like going down road 8 it's just past buckboard it is a pretty flat road but the good thing for me is I am not taking my trailer I will be stay on the ice for BB weekend

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 11, 2016, 06:41 AM »
Good luck! I hope the weather is decent and have fun..

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #54 on: Jan 11, 2016, 07:16 AM »
thanks and be safe out there

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 11, 2016, 08:58 PM »
Got up early and did a drive by starting at Green River and going south. The road out to lost dog was well traveled , you are good to go as long as you stay in the middle. Got about three quarters down when I ran into a truck with a small trailer that had slid off the road. I turned around and was able to get them back on the road. They said that the ice was 12 to 14 inches at Lost Dog and they had caught their limits of bows. I don't think that I would take my trailer down this road. Next I went down to the Buckboard Marina. The ice was a good 10 to 12 inches thick with 6 inches of snow on top at the bottom of the ramp. I then drove out road 8 , it was also well packed and heavily traveled. I wouldn't hesitate to take my trailer down this road . I was able to drive out to the end and back without going into 4 wheel drive. They are expecting more snow this weekend so conditions could change. Next I stopped at the Lucerne Marina but was unable to get on the ice. The lake is capped as far as I could see but just recently. The ice was only 1.5 to 2 inches thick. So unless things really change everything is looking good for the BB.

Offline wyoute

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 11, 2016, 10:11 PM »
Thanks for the update Geezer!!!

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #57 on: Jan 12, 2016, 07:14 AM »
Got up early and did a drive by starting at Green River and going south. The road out to lost dog was well traveled , you are good to go as long as you stay in the middle. Got about three quarters down when I ran into a truck with a small trailer that had slid off the road. I turned around and was able to get them back on the road. They said that the ice was 12 to 14 inches at Lost Dog and they had caught their limits of bows. I don't think that I would take my trailer down this road. Next I went down to the Buckboard Marina. The ice was a good 10 to 12 inches thick with 6 inches of snow on top at the bottom of the ramp. I then drove out road 8 , it was also well packed and heavily traveled. I wouldn't hesitate to take my trailer down this road . I was able to drive out to the end and back without going into 4 wheel drive. They are expecting more snow this weekend so conditions could change. Next I stopped at the Lucerne Marina but was unable to get on the ice. The lake is capped as far as I could see but just recently. The ice was only 1.5 to 2 inches thick. So unless things really change everything is looking good for the BB.

thanks geezer I cant wait till next weekend so did you fish at all or just a drive to check thing out

Offline SlaptheFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The best things in LIFE are done on ICE!!!
« Reply #58 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:07 AM »
Amazing report Geez, hoping for the weather to work with us a bit, and we will see you all up there next week!  I imagine we will have enough man power and rigs to get anybody unstuck should it happen.  As of now I think we are planning on leaving Thursday morning around 7-8 am.

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:00 AM »
What is the plan for the utah invasion? I may be able to swing down for a day and fish with everyone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.