Author Topic: anybody use the garmin stryker 4  (Read 9616 times)

Offline tspace

• IceShanty Rookie
anybody use the garmin stryker 4
« on: Jan 28, 2019, 08:13 PM »
i got garmin stryker 4 bundle and try it for ice fishing.   i cant get it to work right on flasher mode it has alot of junk on screen. any help be greatful

Offline fishslayer730

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: anybody use the garmin stryker 4
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2019, 08:16 PM »
Turn the sensitivity down and if your next to another finder turn the noise reduction on

Offline rilobsterman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2019, 08:18 PM »
use the the 'A' scope on traditional mode.way clearer and less confusing.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2019, 08:19 PM »
i have one. takes a while to dial it in. if you are in weeds they will show up. be sure not to use it without water or drop the ducer, not good for it.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2019, 08:19 PM »
use the the 'A' scope on traditional mode.way clearer and less confusing.

i agree.

Offline Doppler2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2019, 10:53 PM »
I have the same model. I would use it on graph mode. It really isnt made the same way flashers are, and seeing the history on the graph you can make out what is fish in a lot of clutter. Also try switching between the frequencies. Weedy areas show up junky but chirp mode seems to work better. How deep are you fishing?

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2019, 11:43 PM »
i agree.

X 2 . I never learned to use a flasher . In graph mode you can see your lure/bait and fish checking it out . I use dual frequency so I don't miss anything .

Offline tspace

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2019, 05:33 PM »
I was in 15 feet of water Saturday I bought this online when I got it I got no book so I’m just flying blind most of the time

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2019, 06:30 PM »
Im sure you could find the book online and there are plenty of videos on Youtube on these.
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2019, 07:05 PM »
when it comes to tech if i can figure it out most anyone can

Offline tspace

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2019, 07:52 PM »
yea i just watched a bunch of videos on youtube. i will have some stuff to try when i get back on the ice. it be too cold to go to my pond the next couple days. thanks for the help guys. cranberry pond down here in addison ny was very hot today for pan fish friend of mine got 25 big gils and one big perchand 12 inch crap.

Offline Adimariano3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2019, 08:21 PM »
I also have the Garmin Striker 4. I always use it on traditional mode. Seems to be the most of effective for me. Adjusting the settings can work well for a certain set of conditions be not work well for another. So expirimenting is best.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2019, 08:28 PM »
I just ordered the striker 4 should be here tomorrow but my good friend fishslayer has one so I'm sure it will be easy for me to learn it he said it works really good.ill post back after I use it this weekend

Offline Justinrc21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2019, 08:41 PM »
Change the setting to chirp 200...
'For those who have defended it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know' ~Unknown~

Offline Doppler2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2019, 09:16 PM »
X 2 . I never learned to use a flasher . In graph mode you can see your lure/bait and fish checking it out . I use dual frequency so I don't miss anything .

Yes I'm always on dual frequency too. Most of the time I watch 77hz but sometimes when it gets a little screwy 220 hz can show me a little better what is what.

You can also go to settings and click remove surface noise.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:34 PM »
Thanks Doppler , I'll have to try that next time out . With so many guys using the Striker 4 , we should keep this thread going just to help each other out with settings since the manual isn't much help . Of course along with YouTube .

I'll start . For those of you that bought the $99 - $110.00 plain unit for a boat and wish to make it portable , I built my carrier out of a $10.00 cooler from Wally world . I mounted the transducer to a piece of thin PVC , ran the cord up through it and slipped a piece of Pool Noodle over the PVC so it floats in the hole . The cooler holds a 7 amp hour battery , transducer set up and the Striker 4 unit very nicely . As a bonus to using a cooler , if it's really cold out , you can place a chemical hand warmer in beside the battery to make it last longer on the ice .

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2019, 03:18 AM »
Nice how long do the battery's last that come with the unit..I'm putting a 12 volt with mine .just wondering about battery life

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2019, 03:19 AM »
Nice how long do the battery's last that come with the unit..I'm putting a 12 volt with mine .just wondering about battery life

I was able to get 8-16 hours on a full charge when the temps weren't brutally cold using mine if i remember correctly.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2019, 03:21 AM »
That's not bad at all actually pretty good I got the unit thinking it will be good on my kayak also

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2019, 04:03 AM »
That's not bad at all actually pretty good I got the unit thinking it will be good on my kayak also

That's why i got mine too. I wanted something i could use on the ice as well as adapt for use with my canoe. Worked out really well in both aspects, especially for the price.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2019, 07:46 AM »
I bought a Striker 5 with the portable kit, I've only used it while in my boat. In the warm weather, I get at least 15 hours on 1 charge.
I'm tempted to try it out on the ice. Can you just put the transducer in the hole or do you need to adapt it like 4X4 Dad did?

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2019, 07:50 AM »
I have had the striker 4 ice bundle for 3 seasons now. This year I got the ice transducer for it. I absolutely love this unit. The graph mode works great and pair that with the underwater camera and it is even better. The only downfall that I have found with this unit is not being able to view or load the lake contours on it. I will be buying contour maps for my handheld garmin astro 320 to fix that issue. I would highly recommend this unit for someone that doesn't want to pay an arm and a leg.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Woodyvtwin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing is Life!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:03 AM »
I have the striker 4 ice bundle and the ice transducer. I have used it 2 years now. I really like the fact that I can widen or narrow the cone angle on the transducer. Depending on the depth of the water, wider for shallow water and narrower for deeper.
Fishing is like a pizza, even when it's bad, it's still pretty good!

Offline kmanz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:20 AM »
I use mine in the 200hz mode with the flasher in twenty feet of water +/-. I just got to the point where I can catch the fish using the flasher. see the fish rise up , stay with it till the colors intermingle and boom.... you got em. Dont know about the scrolling screen yet. Overall im liking it a bunch for the price.
Love the peace ice fishing brings

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:57 AM »
i bought the portable kit. the battery lasts several outings before i charge it even in very cold. I have not had it die while out yet. i always bring it in at night. i have mine set with A-scope on and auto zoom. i dont like to mess with the setting much fraid i will not get it back the way i like. took a while to get to dialed in.

Offline jschmitt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2019, 09:26 AM »
I get how some guys like to tinker but all the mods, and changing cones, and power levels? Dual frequency gives both cone angles, and regular graph mode is better than a flasher all day because it leaves the history on the screen for you to see rather than memorize what the fish did.  The sticks to hold the sonar are a pain to transport.  Just stick the transducer down the hole and fish.  I can see the mini barrel swivel, and minnow head separation on a jigging rap treble in 20 ft with my zoom set to the bottom 5 ft.  Keep it simple.  The machine pretty much works out of the box.  Oh and smashes a flasher because of the history thing and ability to use in summer on my boat or kayak.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2019, 12:20 PM »
This unit is sounding like it's very popular it's a good deal whole package for 177..just got mine in mail today can't wait to try it out..wish it was a tad bit bigger but overall viewing screen is very clear

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2019, 01:18 PM »
I bought a Striker 5 with the portable kit, I've only used it while in my boat. In the warm weather, I get at least 15 hours on 1 charge.
I'm tempted to try it out on the ice. Can you just put the transducer in the hole or do you need to adapt it like 4X4 Dad did?

The only downside I've heard of to just placing the transducer and bare cord in the hole is , you take the chance of damaging the cord either by sharp edge of the ice or putting a hook or gaff point into the cord . Not only will you need a new transducer , but you could possibly damage the unit . At the very least wrap the cord with some type of protection from damage . Rubber hose maybe ?

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2019, 05:54 PM »
thats a good tip thanks. i was a little concerned when having to pull it out of ice when it freezes to to the side of the hole. 

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:50 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I'll drill a separate hole for the transducer and use a hole cover to prevent freezing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.