Author Topic: ITS TIME  (Read 15442 times)

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ITS TIME
« Reply #60 on: Mar 02, 2019, 03:28 PM »
I was merely stating that I don't go by photoperiodism when relating anything to the spawn myself; and having to do with fishing I was just stating when fishing during this period; this is what I have witnessed; as I don't travel to our area lakes without a rod and reel just to watch and see if the fish are on our lakes dams or not. I stated earlier that under the ice or with lower water temps that I don't believe they would spawn; however; if the water temps are at 45 degrees at this time; the walleyes will be there to spawn. I say this because as you travel south; walleyes and saugers are spawning sooner in southern lakes in which they inhabit due to the water temps being at their preferred range earlier; otherwise; all walleyes across the country would be spawning at relatively the same time based off of photoperiodism and the change in available light; and this is just not happening.

Offline A0fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Mar 02, 2019, 03:44 PM »
You didn't answer the question:  45 degrees in mid February, are they spawning?  I make my first annual trip to Cedar Bluff almost every year in late March with my son during his spring break.  Depending on how late into March it is, some males are already almost out of milt.  When I go there in April, very few males have any milt.  A typical walleye spawn lasts 3 weeks.  This would put the beginning of the spawn in early to mid March.  I know from other people who have gone there during that time that they are starting to spawning at Cedar Bluff anywhere from early to mid March.  Your statement that if water reached 45 degrees now, they would be spawning is no surprise to me, and it is just circumventing the question. 

Yes, walleyes spawn during different months depending on the region.  But in each of those regions, they are not going to spawn simply because it's the "right" temperature range.  It also has to be the right photoperiod, or the right time of the year.  I am not a believer that they will spawn right on a specific date.  My observations is that the period can be shortened or lengthened by up to 2 weeks, depending on water temperature.  This based on walleye fishing I have done in three different states. 

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Mar 02, 2019, 04:35 PM »
I did answer that question in my last post; at 45 degrees; the walleyes will be spawning whatever lake they are in and whatever month in the late winter to early spring that temperature is reached. Different lakes with different sizes and depths and clarity will determine how fast the waters will warm to the desired spawning temps. In years past; with differing temps coming out of winter and into spring; I have witnessed the spawn occurring as early as the 1st week of March and as late as the 1st week of April; I've fished them in Kansas from El Dorado north to Lovewell and Glen Elder during these weeks of the spawn and our southern reservoirs in this state will normally start a week to 10 days earlier than our northern reservoirs; same holds true for Milford; one of our larger; clearer reservoirs; it can start a full week or more behind Glen Elder. I grew up in upstate New York and the walleye opener consistently started somewhere close to the walleye spawn and this was around May 12th. Given a late ice out and varying cold temps in that area of the country; the water temps were around the mid 40's by the 1st week or so of May on Oneida Lake; granted ; this lake has a surface area of 79.8 square miles and is 22 miles long and about 5 miles wide at its widest point; fairly clear and fed by natural rivers with no dams; so runoff as well as warming days played a part in the temperature of this lake and when the walleyes  spawned there. As May arrived;  the longer days helped warm the waters faster but the walleyes didn't begin spawning as soon as the length of the days there increased. This is why I don't pay attention to photoperiodism when referring to the walleye spawn itself; but it does help the water to warm faster as there is more available light during a longer period of the day to help warm them; but a severe cold front during this period can also knock them off the banks. Here in Kansas they don't last long enough to suspend the spawn but rather delay it a few days. In our northern states and Canada; they can last an extended period at times and long enough  in given years such as these; that many of the female walleyes will reabsorb their eggs and some year classes will be weak; which is why up north you have  strong year classes some years; and others not such strong year classes. Many of these lakes have natural reproduction and depend on a strong spawn; here in Kansas; that doesn't matter; as the majority of the walleye we are catching are stocked fish. Our natural reproduction in Kansas is poor at best; and looking at stocking reports and the numbers stocked into each lake here in our state can mislead some when you look at the numbers as the survival rate of stocked fry is relatively small as well and the reason so many go into these impoundments is so that a fishable number will remain after all forms of mortality are taken into consideration. As far as the full moon or dark moon phases and fishing are concerned; I look at 4 major time periods each day; sunrise and sunset; and moonrise and moonset in conjunction with weather patterns to choose my best days and times to fish both at night; as well as; during the daylight.

Offline A0fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Mar 02, 2019, 05:18 PM »
So you have not witnessed them spawn in mid February...  All you are saying is more or less what I am saying.  March to April.  How is that different from: it still has to be the right time of the year?  The reason for that is simple:  animals and plants don't just rely on temperatures.  Suppose temperatures warm up really quickly one year.  Those plants that bud ealry, or fish that spawn early would not fare well if the weather cools back down to more normal temperatures subsequently.  Simply put, year over year, photoperiod in any region of the world is a better predictor of the season than temperature on any given day.  Animals and plants that ignore that are more likely to win the Darwin award. 

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Mar 02, 2019, 05:42 PM »
I've never myself witnessed them spawn  in mid February ; not trying to turn this into an argument; but have read reports from southern states and looked at spawning charts and the walleyes down in southern states will spawn as early as February if the water temps are where they need to be. Here in Kansas; definitely March to April; given weather, size of the reservoir and water clarity to determine when exactly during this time frame it will occur. As stated above also; there are plenty of years up north where exactly what you referenced occurs; it warms up and the walleyes begin showing at their spawning locations only to have an extended period of cold move in; they leave for deeper waters in proximity to their spawning grounds but if the weather stays cold they will reabsorb their eggs and the spawn that given year will fail; giving you a poor year class; the opposite holds true when conditions are perfect; many fish spawn, conditions remain stable and they end up with a strong year class that given year. I believe fish feel pressure changes but will not know what the weather will be doing a couple days out; they react to the given weather system that they are given at any one time. How many times have you seen; if you grow flowers, Krokuses or other early bloomers; come up and bloom when we have had very warm temps in late February or early March; only to be snowed on or have a late freeze and loose their petals and die off? I've seen this myself numerous times. If they knew the cold or snow was coming; why did they bother to bloom so early?

Offline A0fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Mar 02, 2019, 06:00 PM »
It's not argument, unless we want it to be one.  We are having a discussion.  ;D 

No walleye spawn in mid February in KS.  Yes, they do spawn earlier in warmer states.  I think what's more relevant is the season.  In terms of weather patterns, spring or the transition into spring comes earlier or later, depending on the region.  I am well aware that plants sometimes bloom early.  If early bloomers die as a result of that, they don't get to pass on their genes.  The result is that the plants and animals that pay attention to photoperiod and temperatures, not just temperatures will do better.  There are variations in nature, but the plants and animals that do best will represent the bulk of the data points / observations.  Based on my own observations, I do believe some plants and animals respond more to temperatures and others respond more to photoperiod. 

Moving on fom the walleye spawn, when you get a gradual warm up that corresponds to the right time of the year, it's a fun white bass and crappie spawning season.   ;D

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Mar 02, 2019, 06:53 PM »
No argument here either from me; and absolutely agree that no walleye here in Kansas are spawning anytime in February. And as you stated along with Darwin; the strongest survive for sure. I myself as you love a gradual warm up for any of the spawning fish in Kansas; around here it seems that just as things get going good; we have a heavy rain; brings the rivers up and muddies the waters; particularly Tuttle Creek Reservoir; as for White Bass; love catching them both in the rivers or at night in several lakes off wind blown points or the dam where they are running. That is a blast.

Offline CaptainT16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Mar 04, 2019, 07:57 AM »
In other news, I made it to Glen on Saturday and nothing going on at all. Several of us tried everywhere out west and couldn't find anything.  Spoke with one guy around 5 p.m. and he had caught two in the morning and nothing after.  I finally caught my first one around 4:30 that afternoon.  Tough day out there. 

Offline A0fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Mar 04, 2019, 09:26 AM »
I averaged 2.2 fish per day on two ice trips to Glen this year...  And the 0.2 matters when it's that slow.   ;D

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #69 on: Mar 04, 2019, 06:56 PM »
I averaged 2.2 fish per day on two ice trips to Glen this year...  And the 0.2 matters when it's that slow.   ;D

Long way to be brutalized!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline postman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Mar 04, 2019, 07:59 PM »
Almost wonder if the area lacks baitfish and fish are in main lake. Dont know. Its been awful slow this year.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Mar 04, 2019, 08:13 PM »
So are you guys seeing/marking fish?

Offline CaptainT16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Mar 05, 2019, 09:15 AM »

I marked very little baitfish everywhere I drilled.  I drilled all over west of the causeway, as did several others. I would see some shad go through maybe once or twice every 10 minutes or so. It was bad and very surprising as usually the baitfish are thick out there.  Nothing chasing them at all.

Like someone mentioned, maybe they are still out in the main lake?  I'm contemplating on heading up there one more time on Sat to try it out? 

Thinking I may just take the 12 gauge out up there while fishing and whale on some snow geese, as that would've been a better option this past Saturday.  LOL

Offline A0fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Mar 05, 2019, 09:20 AM »
Long way to be brutalized!
For sure...   :( :'(

Almost wonder if the area lacks baitfish and fish are in main lake. Dont know. Its been awful slow this year.
That's what I am guessing.  The fish we did catch were not as fat as they usually are this time of the year. 

Not as many as usual.  And there is just a short window in the morning and another one around sunset.  There are almost no fish to be seen during the day time.  Most of the fish you see don't want to bite.  There is more current this year than in years past.  This could be causing the shad to not occupy the area in great numbers => fewer predator fish around?   

Offline ksfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Mar 05, 2019, 11:27 AM »
Any reports on kanopolis?  I'd think the area around the tower would be getting close to being fishable

Offline postman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Mar 05, 2019, 06:14 PM »
For sure...   :( :'(
That's what I am guessing.  The fish we did catch were not as fat as they usually are this time of the year. 
Not as many as usual.  And there is just a short window in the morning and another one around sunset.  There are almost no fish to be seen during the day time.  Most of the fish you see don't want to bite.  There is more current this year than in years past.  This could be causing the shad to not occupy the area in great numbers => fewer predator fish around?   
I do believe the current is a factor. Stronger than normal. Water dirtier than normal. And Flint, didnt mark much activity which leads me to believe baitfish is scarce west of causeway. I generally mark baitfish

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Mar 05, 2019, 08:34 PM »
Wow sounds like tough fishing.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Mar 11, 2019, 09:33 PM »
Greets from Colorado:  As Slayerfish says long way to get brutalized, but If I don't get out of the house, I may get brutalized.  So with that thinking of later April and head to Cedar Bluff.  With boat in tow, if nothing else see how it runs at a lower elevation.  Any recommendations on camping at Cedar Bluff ?  Would think reservation would be wise at that State park.  Oh and there a bait shop near there ?  PM's accepted  ;D
Bud

Offline lovetofishnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Mar 11, 2019, 09:47 PM »
Bud,

You don't need reservation at Cedar Bluff State Park, lot of nice camp grounds in there.  We always pitched a tent in one of those nicely mowed camp grounds.  It doesn't have a electrical hookup but the area is big, has picnic table, and you probably can pitch 3 tents and still have room for your boat there.  There are also lots of camp spot for electrical hookup, just have to pay more  The gas station right outside of Cedar Bluff State Park sells minnows, worms, etc...

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Mar 12, 2019, 09:05 AM »
Thanks fishnow, good to know. 
Bud

Offline A0fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Mar 12, 2019, 09:38 AM »
I have never had trouble finding a camping spot at Cedar Bluff.  But, for peace of mind, you may want to reserve a spot.  There is a convenience store / gas station / bait shop near the entrance into the park:  https://goo.gl/maps/6BkfeMMyxQq

By the way, you can get an annual camping pass with electric and water hook up for about $600.  We see the same people and RVs there year after year.  It looks like they stay there for months.  Some of them appear to be retired folks. 

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Mar 12, 2019, 09:32 PM »
 A0fisher thanks for the goggle map.  That helps a lot.  That way maybe even I could find my away around in the day light  ;D
Bud

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Mar 15, 2019, 08:28 AM »
A0 spose $600 a year might be less than Storage ? and just leave them there year round ?
Bud

Offline A0fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Mar 15, 2019, 10:39 AM »
A0 spose $600 a year might be less than Storage ? and just leave them there year round ?

I don't know if you could leave an RV there year-round.  It looks like you cannot stay more than 14 days at any given spot.  In terms of cost, it's $202.50 for an annual camping fee + $431.50 for an RV spot with water and electricity:  https://ksoutdoors.com/State-Parks/Park-Fees

I've been tinkering with the idea of calling it quit early and spending half a year in the KS state parks and then the other half further south.  ;D  $600 buck doesn't even cover my water bill for 6 months around here... 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.