Author Topic: Lithium v SLA run time  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Inabell

• IceShanty Rookie
Lithium v SLA run time
« on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:57 PM »
Is there an appreciable difference between the run time of a lithium battery vs an SLA, ah being equal?

I am considering getting a lithium (EO or Dakota) as I am planning  a camping trip to Northern Minnesota to target lake trout. I'll be hauling all gear on a toboggan so the weight savings is a definite plus (every ounce counts when may be pulling for miles) but not worth the cost if run time is comparable.

Any estimate on the run time of either a SLA or lithium. I'll be using a Vex Fl-18.

Thanks

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lithium v SLA run time
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:32 PM »
I own a Energized outdoors battery, 12 volt 10 amp. I've been using it the last couple weeks. Haven't had it long, but so far I'm impressed. I have it paired with a Helix 7. It weighs half as much as lead battery. I'm not sure yet on run time but I would guess 2 or 3x longer run time. Plus you get more charging cycles out of the lithium batteries. One trip I ran my Helix for 14 or 15 hours without charging and it still was running strong before I shut it off. Worth it to me.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2019, 11:10 PM »
I own a Energized outdoors battery, 12 volt 10 amp. I've been using it the last couple weeks. Haven't had it long, but so far I'm impressed. I have it paired with a Helix 7. It weighs half as much as lead battery. I'm not sure yet on run time but I would guess 2 or 3x longer run time. Plus you get more charging cycles out of the lithium batteries. One trip I ran my Helix for 14 or 15 hours without charging and it still was running strong before I shut it off. Worth it to me.

I noticed way longer run times with a lithium as well.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:03 AM »
My third season running lithiums. Lighter and much longer run time especially when you turn the screen light down half power. They are well worth the investment.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2019, 11:03 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMaOdMUqfb0

Not so sure about the extended battery power on a lithium.  Watch the video. 

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2019, 12:16 PM »
lithium is not effected by cold like a SLA. You have far more recharge cycles with the lithium. A more consistent voltage during use with the lithium means the sonar will work more efficaciously. The weight reduction is significant, which means you can roll with a larger capacity and still be lighter than the SLA. I guess this guy in the video doesn’t understand what the amp hour rating is. If you have a 7Ah SLA and a 7Ah lithium they both will die after 7 hours of 1amp current draw under perfect conditions. However the lithium will go the full 7 hours irrespective of the temp unless it’s in Antarctica or something. The SLA is adversely effected by the cold. Meaning it will significantly reduce your run time if it’s cold regardless of what the Ah rating is. So over all the lithium is the way to go even though the initial cost is more, due to it having more recharge cycles (longevity is better) it will pay for itself in the long run. I run a K2 10Ah battery on a helix 7 mega di g3 and it is by far better than a SLA in the same class. You just need to understand the difference in the chemistry and what it all means before you decide for yourself. So do your homework and don’t make a decision based on some backwoods billy who you don’t know, nor do you know his background on YouTube. Research the science behind the tech from a reputable source. Just me two cents.
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2019, 12:19 PM »
With a Vex or other analog flasher, it may be worth it to go lithium.  My Lowrance does fine with a sla. I can run it all day and barely put a dent in the battery.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2019, 12:32 PM »
I got a lithium when I had an LX7 because I couldnt get a full day out of 1 battery, even at like 50% brightness..but with a vex IDK how long the stock SLA will last.  Can anyone chime in ?  If 3-4 days...then no reason other than weight reduction for lithium.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2019, 01:22 PM »
  So do your homework and don’t make a decision based on some backwoods billy who you don’t know, nor do you know his background on YouTube. Research the science behind the tech from a reputable source. Just me two cents.

I thought the video answered the OP's question very well.  I guess you're way better than he is, you backwoods billy goat you!

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2019, 02:44 PM »
Hey now, I resemble that remark 🤣
But seriously, the guy was in a static environment testing two batteries with the same capacity, and they both died around the same time. Captain obvious could tell you that. I would like to see the same test done with two brand new batteries, one SLA one LiFe Po3, only this time test it with an ambient temp of 0F degrees. I promise you that SLA will “fail” much quicker than the lithium chemistry one. SLA’s have their place, just not in my cold weather electronics!!!

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2019, 03:06 PM »
With a Vex or other analog flasher, it may be worth it to go lithium.  My Lowrance does fine with a sla. I can run it all day and barely put a dent in the battery.

Actually it's the opposite. Flashers are very low draw devices, while lcd fishfinders are higher draw. You will see the benefit of lithium with both, but more so with the LCD units imo. Flashers already run forever on SLA batteries. I'll never buy another SLA again, that's for sure.

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2019, 04:04 PM »
Actually it's the opposite. Flashers are very low draw devices, while lcd fishfinders are higher draw. You will see the benefit of lithium with both, but more so with the LCD units imo. Flashers already run forever on SLA batteries. I'll never buy another SLA again, that's for sure.

I second your opinion! I would in fact call your opinion not just opinion but a verifiable FACT!!!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2019, 04:20 PM »
What Kayl said... my LX7 Is a resource hog...

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2019, 05:28 PM »
Keep in mind that to maximize the life of SLA deep cycle batteries they should only be discharged to the 50% level.

They, of course, will discharge further but doing so damages their plates and shortens their useful life.

So the trick is finding the sweet spot between lithium's cost and SLA's reduced capacity or more weight, (bigger batt to get equivilent AHs).

Spend money on lithium or sweat equity on SLAs, I think that's the choice you face...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2019, 05:39 PM »
Can also charge the lithium I think 3-4x as many times as a sla battery

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2019, 09:45 PM »
I don't know how many hours I run my LX7, but with the Dakota 10A Lithium I got in the group buy last year, I go fishing 3-5 times before the voltage goes down to 12.? volts and I charge it...   I could likely go more but don't want to be in the middle of a trip and have it die. Use to charge my SLA after every trip out out.   Average trip out for me is like 5-6 hours.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Inabell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2019, 09:45 AM »
Thanks all for the conversation. I appreciate the information.

Offline Ice Thunder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2019, 05:27 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMaOdMUqfb0

Not so sure about the extended battery power on a lithium.  Watch the video.

Well color me stupid  :o, but if BOTH batteries are 7ah (amp hour) batteries and the draw is one amp, then they should theoretically both run out about the same time in around 7 hours. (Which is basically what the aforementioned posted youtube video showed).

The advantage being that the Lithium maintains peak voltage until it runs out, but on the other side of that is the fact that given a few minutes to rest, the SLA battery will still restart, the Lithium doesn't.

Granted, maintaining peak output may be important to a LCD type locator that's drawing more power, but flasher use draws lower amps to start with and doesn't have to drive all the functions a LCD locator/GPS does.

AND, if Lithium is so much better in the cold, why does EVERYONE tell you to keep your assorted drill, auger, etc. lithium batteries in a warm place?

The Lithium is less than half the weight, but 4-5 times the initial cost.

Lithium is supposed to have longer lifespan. (But I've had SLA batteries last 5 years or more, especially if you maintain them, not true with all of them though).

And then there's the issue of battery safety, I keep thinking of the lithium Samsung phone batteries and those lithium hover-board batteries bursting into flames spontaneously. There's a reason airlines won't let you fly with lithium batteries.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2019, 05:36 PM »
Well color me stupid  :o, but if BOTH batteries are 7ah (amp hour) batteries and the draw is one amp, then they should theoretically both run out about the same time in around 7 hours. (Which is basically what the aforementioned posted youtube video showed).

The advantage being that the Lithium maintains peak voltage until it runs out, but on the other side of that is the fact that given a few minutes to rest, the SLA battery will still restart, the Lithium doesn't.

AND, if Lithium is so much better in the cold, why does EVERYONE tell you to keep you drill, auger, etc. lithium batteries in a warm place?

The Lithium is less than half the weight, but 4-5 times the initial cost.

Lithium is supposed to have longer lifespan. (But I've had SLA batteries last 5 years or more, especially if you maintain them, not true with all of them though).

And then there's the issue of battery safety, I keep thinking of the lithium Samsung phone batteries and those lithium hover-board batteries bursting into flames spontaneously. There's a reason airlines won't let you fly with lithium batteries.
they run longer because they have more volts /energy.lithium charges to 14 volts and mine holds a steady charge of 13.8.my sla charge and hold at 12.7.i get about 35 hrs on my Dakota lithium and about 26ish on my 9ah n my vexilar flx28.

Offline Ice Thunder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2019, 05:46 PM »
Hey, I'm LOOKING for a reason to buy one, but when I add it all up, I just can't get over the top vs. my cheaper 9ah SLAs.

26 hours of run time over a weekend off of a 9ah SLA works for me with my Vexilars, I understand it may not work for everyone. (And generally I can charge every night anyway, but recognize that in some situations you might not be able to)

On the upside, if a lithium bursts into flames in your shanty, you can shut the Mr Buddy heater off  ;D. (Hopefully that doesn't happen in your truck, trailer, garage or basement. Just sayin'.)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:02 PM »
Hey, I'm LOOKING for a reason to buy one, but when I add it all up, I just can't get over the top vs. my cheaper 9ah SLAs.

26 hours of run time over a weekend off of a 9ah SLA works for me with my Vexilars, I understand it may not work for everyone. (And generally I can charge every night anyway, but recognize that in some situations you might not be able to)

On the upside, if a lithium bursts into flames in your shanty, you can shut the Mr Buddy heater off  ;D. (Hopefully that doesn't happen in your truck, trailer, garage or basement. Just sayin'.)
I like the lithium batteries for weight and run time but  personally i have not had good luck with them.on my third one due to mysterious blue corrosion all over the top by the terminals.my replacement will be here Monday.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:14 PM »

I get 2 full days out of sla 12 v  10amp on my hummin bird LCD
  Lithium are lighter and do give more  run time

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.