Author Topic: Help targeting brown trout  (Read 687 times)

Offline LimerickShaw

• IceShanty Rookie
Help targeting brown trout
« on: Feb 08, 2019, 10:43 AM »
Hey everyone,

Fishing for browns tomorrow and I'm looking for some pointers as I have never typically targeted them. The area I'll be fishing is about 40 FOW. Where would you set your bait? From what I've read/researched it seems like browns can be a PITA because they can be throughout the water column. I'll be using shiners. Any tips or tricks? Sounds like there are smelt in the pond but the few people I know have used shiners there and have had great luck. Also - how do you guys like to hook your shiners? I've been going right through the back. Thanks and tight lines!

Offline Gimper

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Help targeting brown trout
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2019, 12:12 PM »
Between 'Bows, Brookies and Browns, I think Browns are the easiest. I usually like 15-25ft of water. I usually set up about 6 feet off the bottom with tipups or dead sticks and shiners. Smaller shiners will catch big fish but big shiners are far less effective on smaller fish. An easy way to measure that out is to know that it is about 6ft from finger tip to finger tip when your arms are stretched out to the sides.

The first three hours of light will have the most aggressive bite. After that the bite will slow down and trickle down to almost nothing.

Offline antelope76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2019, 12:30 PM »
I like to find about 30 feet of water and then fish bottom to a few feet above bottom.  I've also caught them in the water column anywhere from 6' to 20' in 30-40 feet deep water.

Offline Fatcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2019, 01:23 PM »
fish about 1/2 way down, 6lb test long leader with small hook. Ive found small to medium size shiners work better than large bait or smelt.  tight lines.
Maine . 200lb Bucks & 6lb Brookies  !!!!!

Offline sawbelliesam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2019, 03:05 PM »
I fish for them just under the ice to about 15'. Set some at 3' under and stagger. Hook your shiners thru the back, but go shallow enough to miss the spine.

Offline Vine Valley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:06 PM »
I like to set my tip ups suspended at various depths beneath the ice. I like to set my tip ups very close to a steep drop off. Many times I suspend the bait 1/2 the depth of the water. Last week I caught a nice brown on a tip up set 25 ft down over 50 FOW. I have a secret trick. I measure out different suspended depths at HOME. I use a small split shot to mark the depth. I then write on masking tape the depth on each tip up. This way when you get to the ice, all you have to do is put the bait on and lower it to its' designated depth. This saves you time but more importantly your hands will stay warm. I've done this for years. I sit back and relax watching my tip ups while other fishermen are struggling to to set up their tip ups in the cold. Good Luck!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2019, 05:54 AM »
small willow leaf blade up the line, held with tiny split shot.  small ball of Berkley trout bait on the hook eye. 2 tips that up my catch.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline LimerickShaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:28 AM »
I like to set my tip ups suspended at various depths beneath the ice. I like to set my tip ups very close to a steep drop off. Many times I suspend the bait 1/2 the depth of the water. Last week I caught a nice brown on a tip up set 25 ft down over 50 FOW. I have a secret trick. I measure out different suspended depths at HOME. I use a small split shot to mark the depth. I then write on masking tape the depth on each tip up. This way when you get to the ice, all you have to do is put the bait on and lower it to its' designated depth. This saves you time but more importantly your hands will stay warm. I've done this for years. I sit back and relax watching my tip ups while other fishermen are struggling to to set up their tip ups in the cold. Good Luck!

This is a great idea. I've heard of some people doing something similar where they'll but buttons to mark depth when we're fishing our bigger lake (100 FOW or more in some spots). I never really thought about this for some of the water I fish but after fishing all day Saturday in 30 MPH winds on a cold day I might have to take this approach.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:44 AM »
This is a great idea. I've heard of some people doing something similar where they'll but buttons to mark depth when we're fishing our bigger lake (100 FOW or more in some spots). I never really thought about this for some of the water I fish but after fishing all day Saturday in 30 MPH winds on a cold day I might have to take this approach.

Could tie pieces of different colored yarn at 20-40-60-80 feet. Always know how much line to pull out
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:05 AM »
FIRELINE Maybe called tracer. Alternating black/chartreuse every five feet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.