Author Topic: Spoons For Bluegill  (Read 19853 times)

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Spoons For Bluegill
« Reply #30 on: Dec 27, 2017, 06:50 AM »
I fish for gills with rattle buckshots all the time. Also use Hali jigs, forage spoons and demons. My favorite is the buckshot though, but I always replace the treble with a dropper chain with a single hook or size 18 treble. They are so heavy on the rod it makes it incredibly easy to see the bite.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #31 on: Dec 27, 2017, 06:59 AM »
Small silver Hali and a couple spikes on the dropper hook...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 27, 2017, 08:55 AM »
Hali is a definite go to. I use the littler ones with a mini bobber on the hook. usually plucks gills right out.
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline Foxzyk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 02, 2018, 08:51 AM »
1/16th silver or gold hammered slender spoon with the treble switched out to a single hook dropper. I tie the dropper with 2lb Flouroclear and don't use a chain.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 07, 2018, 11:01 AM »
got to use the Clam pinhead minnow this year and man, in the smallest size that spoon is a gill killer. it's been a long time since i've had such aggressive strikes through the ice.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Sep 24, 2018, 05:47 AM »
I like the Northland forage spoons, and like others have mentioned, I like a slender spoon or something of the like that will search out to the side of the hole, but with a dropper line and a #14 ice fly on the business end.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #36 on: Sep 24, 2018, 09:44 AM »
My favorite spoon for bluegill is a 1/16th ounce slender spoon.
X2.
prefer a dropper single hook so your not digging out three hooks to get back to fishing.
spikes are all i carry for live bait.

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 27, 2018, 10:24 AM »
When I was younger I watched an old timer hammer the gills on the smallest Swedish pimple. Ever since then I’ve used them with good success. A lot of times I’ll start with one and never switch if the bite is good. Occasionally when you get a lot of lookers I’ll downsize to a 3mm tungsten. I put a waxie on everything or half of a ratso tail. The aggressive gills will hammer the spoons

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 27, 2018, 09:49 PM »
You can always make your own. The added benefits is that crappies love them, we catch perch on them. The down side is losing them to big large mouth bass.

Offline Big Lefty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 27, 2018, 10:15 PM »
I like the Northland forage spoons, and like others have mentioned, I like a slender spoon or something of the like that will search out to the side of the hole, but with a dropper line and a #14 ice fly on the business end.

Interesting idea.  I'm going to tie a few of those up.  For those who do it, does the single hook/floro dropper get hooked around the main line often?  I'm sure I would notice on the Vex, but I could see it happening, especially with a Slender Spoon.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Dec 31, 2018, 12:44 PM »
Your instinct is correct, the fly will once in awhile get fouled up with a slender spoon.  As you said, you'd be able to tell with the flasher.  Keeping the dropper line on the shorter side helps.  I use 4 lb line for the dropper line...using 2-3 lb will increase the chance of the foul-ups.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.