Author Topic: Question about parking on US41 while fishing on Keweenaw Bay.  (Read 1114 times)

Offline mjbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
We are planning a fishing trip on Keweenaw Bay soon.  There is not parking in the area we want to leave shore from, except on the shoulder of US41. I believe the area is called Assinins (?).  There is a little parking lot off the highway on the lake side near there, maybe a veteran memorial type area, with a few spaces.  It is always full when we get there.  What are the rules for parking along the highway in that area?  Are people regularly doing it?  I know in most cases it is illegal to park on a highway shoulder unless it is an emergency. In the past I have seen cars parked along the side of the road in that area, but not this year.  Can anyone tell me what the rules are for there and if it is okay or not.  I know with all the snow, the shoulder might not be wide enough to park without creating a hazardous situation.  In that case, we would not park. But if there is room, what can we expect from local law enforcement?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Question about parking on US41 while fishing on Keweenaw Bay.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2019, 05:24 PM »
Might want to call state police in area and ask. That’s who will prolly show up if any problems arise, or the conservation officer.

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2019, 05:39 PM »
Snuggle up to the snowbank and go fish.  The only thing I would consider is whether the snowplow has been through and cleaned as far to the shoulder as they would like to without your vehicle being in the way.  The plows have been finished before I would get started most days so no plows, no problem.

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2019, 07:04 PM »
Had some issues with it not plowed. To the op if u have a sled and trailer keep going and park on old us 41.
"Did you  clip your barbs,  you remember to clip your barbs."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.