Author Topic: Great Day on the Ice  (Read 509 times)

Offline FishGuy603

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Togue1
Great Day on the Ice
« on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:15 PM »
I had a few hours to kill in the evening so I decided to do go out. I was stuck between going to Massy or sticking to a local warmwater pond. After looking at the traffic on the turnpike and anticipating a back up in Merrimack, I decided to stick local. I got set up around 3 and left around 5 or so. While I was setting up, there were these middle school age kids who got onto the ice and started to create a ruckus. They even rolled a tire and started kicking ice chunks in my direction, almost hitting a couple of my tip ups. One of them came up to me and asked me if the ice was safe and I told him brusquely that if we were on it, it was plenty safe. He started swearing and name calling and I acknowledged that I was a little rude since they were paying no mind to me fishing by kicking and pushing stuff in my direction. Not only did he not seem apologetic in the least, he went on to say that it was a public place and he could do what he wanted (expletive filled)  >:(. His friend, fortunately, diffused the situation, wished me luck and they walked away. As I went to set up in my jigging hole, I realized that I forgot my fish finder at home but decided to stick it out. After that, the fishing began, I got a flag and landed a pickerel. After releasing that fish and re-baiting, I started to jig using a simple lift, drop, pause technique and all my strikes came on the pause. After catching and releasing a few crappie, I got another flag (small bass). I continued to jig and catch fish then suddenly, I got another flag. I went over to the tip up to see the line streaming out like it was attached to a runaway freight train! I waited until it slowed down and then I pulled into something I knew was good!  :tipup:

It took me a few minutes to pull it into the hole, I was almost afraid it would break my 12 lb fluoro leader!  ;D
I fished on for another 45 mins or so and caught a few crappie including some real slabs. Once it got dark out, I decided to wrap things up and head back. Final stats: 2 bass, 1 pickerel, 10-12 crappie (I really wasn't counting), and 3 misses.

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Great Day on the Ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:35 PM »
Glad You had a good day. Thanks for sharing the pics

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:36 PM »
Nice!
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:40 PM »
Nice Larry and good job pulling the Crappie blind.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2017, 07:38 PM »
Nice job  :tipup:
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:40 PM »
Nice job sticking it out, NH.

After the fray had been diffused, a call to F&G or local PD might have been effective?
Neither one of those orgs appreciate rif raf.

BTW, it's illegal to harass anglers...much the same as wildlife.

Offline FishGuy603

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Togue1
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:39 PM »
Thanks guys! CD, I was thinking about it but after they left, I decided to let them be. I kept an eye on them just incase they came back

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.