The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Looking for some advice  (Read 2849 times)

Offline markum

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking for some advice
« on: Jan 23, 2020, 07:10 PM »
Hello fellow ice anglers. I'm reaching out to you from Indiana. For several years in a row ice fishing or the lack of it has been disappointing.
I'm looking to head up near the Madison area or maybe another hour away. Looking for bluegill and crappie  I don't have a snowmobile or quad so I'm walking just looking for a little action not looking for specific areas just a little guidence. Lakes ,bait shops and then I'll take it from there.
Thanks for any help
Mark

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Looking for some advice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2020, 11:58 AM »
your going to want to go further north than madison to find some decent ice.  even sketchy up north yet.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2020, 05:38 PM »
Monona Bay is a pannie factory.  You’ll be fishing in a crowd of up to hundreds, in the city, with sirens and traffic sounds, but if you want easy access and action in Madison, follow the crowd.  Otherwise, Lake Redstone can be productive, and has safe ice right now I’m told.  Fox Lake is another I hear that gets good action.  These are all well known lakes with safe ice, but you will not be alone.  I understand just needing to scratch the itch, and if you just wanna feel tug after tug on the line, these places might be what u r looking for.

Offline markum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2020, 08:53 PM »
FilletShow
Thanks for the info I  spoke with a guy at a local bait and tackle shop today regarding conditions.
Like you said I'm just trying to scratch the itch.
Thanks a lot
Mark

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2020, 10:58 PM »
Curious if the WI board will help out another IN angler looking to scratch the itch. Just like the OP mentioned I am not looking for spots, just general guidance. Headed up to Petenwell and will be walking out as well. I am staying at a motel right on the lake a few min east of Adams county ramp. Looks like decent depth all around that Bay and drops quick off Shore. Is that a decent place to setup shop or if you were stuck walking out would you pick a different ramp. I'd love to hit main channel type stuff but does not seem walkable especially with the slush I've read about.

Thanks!

Offline markum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2020, 07:08 AM »
I am also thinking about maybe southwestern Wisconsin I have cousins in Mineral point maybe Governor Dodge State wildlife area i might try. Any feedback would be helpful like I said not looking for specific details just don't want to waste gas or time
Mark

Offline LENNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2020, 11:45 AM »
hello, to tschneid- Petenwell is a large body of water, fishing changes daily out there, best advice I can give you is find the pack of portable shanties and join them, those guys have been following the bite since it froze over.
to Markum, if you look in the Wisconsin fishing reports you might find some info on Gov Dodge park, it's under twin valley lake, there is also a second lake in the park, Cox Hollow, rules are very different depending on which you fish, Cox has a ten panfish per day limit but they are larger than twin valley. Twin Valley has more panfish but you might find 50 small perch/crappie before you find a good one. Walleyes are stocked in both lakes. Twin Valley has Musky but the season is closed until May. Also look at Highland, Blackhawk lake park, there are good panfish and pike, not too far from Mineral Point either.

Good luck to all, keep an eye out for ice conditions as it hasn't been the best winter for adding ice thickness.

Lenny

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2020, 04:00 PM »
hello, to tschneid- Petenwell is a large body of water, fishing changes daily out there, best advice I can give you is find the pack of portable shanties and join them, those guys have been following the bite since it froze over.

Good luck to all, keep an eye out for ice conditions as it hasn't been the best winter for adding ice thickness.

Lenny

Thank you so much!

Offline markum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2020, 08:19 PM »
Lenny thanks so much for the advice I appreciate it I spoke with Dan at the county park and he was very helpful and informative.
I'm just trying to scratch the itch not trying to move in on people I'm going myself so if I keep 10 to 15 Nice gills for a nice meal for a night I will be happy
Best regards
Mark

Offline markum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2020, 09:32 PM »
Thanks for all the advice I received. I did make a trip in mid February and had a great time. I had great advice from a local angler, owner of a great bait and tackle shop. I will be definitely be returning to these parts again for my ice fishing adventures.
Thanks Dan and Mark. If you are on this side then you know who I am.
Best Regards
Mark

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.