Author Topic: Recipes  (Read 2273 times)

Offline treeplucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Recipes
« on: Jan 15, 2019, 12:42 PM »
How's everyone cooking their catch   perch and walleye.... ???

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Recipes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2019, 02:25 PM »
There are a ton of ways to cook your fish, and everyone will have their own favourites.  Fry, bake, deep fry, with different coatings....store bought, beer batter, shakeNbake, panko, corn meal, flour.  Dip the fillets in egg first then coat them, etc. etc.  And I have tried and like them all.   

I just mix flour, salt, pepper in a plastic bag and then shake your fillets in the bag to coat them.  You can use your
own mixture, or store bought ones.  I like to put a little lemon pepper in with the flour, salt, pepper, little garlic powder.

Now this is the important part for me.  We always use lard (not oil, or anything else).  Lard gets hotter then oil and holds the heat better.  So
I melt a junk of lard (depends on how big the pan is), in the frying pan and also add a tablespoon or 2 of butter or margarine in the lard.  This will
help give a nice color and flavour to your fish.  When you put the fish in after the lard is hot, make sure you put the skin side down first, otherwise
the fillet will curl up on you if you put the rib cage side down first.  Cook one side about 1/2 way through and then turn and cook the other 1/2.  Perch only take a couple minutes on each side.  Walleye a little longer.  I like mine just cooked evenly, I have to leave my wife's fish in until it is well done.  I don't recommend this as you have no taste left after cooking the S--t out of it.  We also cook our potatoes in lard with a little margarine, throwing cut up onion when the potatoes are 1/2 cooked.

With the lard your fish won't get soggy like when it is cooked in oil.  With the fishing camp I had we cooked over 10,000 shore lunches and all with lard.  We have been told...."how come your shore lunches are so much better then other camps".  A lot of camps use oil.  I know most people are worried about their health/ weight and think using oil vs lard will be healthier.  I just told people for 3 or 4 fish fries (or some people will have 8 or 10),  a year, a little lard isn't going to hurt you.

This one is a family favourite for us:

Take your perch/walleye fillet and cut them in chunks (about 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch).  Toss them in your flour mixture and fry them up....yes, in lard.
Then take them out of the frying pan and put them on paper towel.  Then clean out your frying pan, just wipe it clean and then re heat the pan (doesn't have to be supper hot).  With nothing  in the frying pan dump your chunks of fish in the pan and quickly pour some VH sauce on them and toss them around so they all get coated.  I like to use orange ginger, garlic, teriyaki , etc.  Just make sure you don't put to much sauce on them, just enough to coat them.  This isn't one of those... if a little is good,  a bunch would be better.  Just use a wooden spatula and toss the fish as you pour the sauce on.  Just toss and coat them enough to heat them back up.  I usually will make two batches up after the fish is fried.  Say ginger and garlic, or ginger, teriyaki, just in case your family doesn't like one, they should like the other.  If your kids won't eat fish, try it this way.  They should like it.

We really like this one if you prefer baked fish, (and yes, no lard required)

Take your fillets and lay them in a sprayed or greased glass cooking dish.  You can put on seasoning salt, pepper, etc lightly on the fish. If you have fresh dill (or you can use bottled dill), sprinkle/lay it over the fish.   In a bowl mix 1/2 sour cream and 1/2 mayo along with a little more dill mixed in.
If you are using a 8X12 dish, one cup of sour cream and one cup of mayo should be enough, or maybe go 1 1/2 cups of each (you will just end up with more sauce which I pour over my rice.  After you have your sour cream and mayo mixed spread it all over the fillets, making sure they all get a good layer of coating.  Then cover the dish with tin foil and put in the oven.  Usually 350 for 1/2 hour or so (it will depend if they are perch, walleye, or pike).
Test after 1/2 hour and if need cook longer.

Ever try fish on a stick:

Now if you are out in the bush, I like to start a fire and gut a Walleye leaving scales head, etc on.  Then taking a green willow stick and sharpen one end and shove the sharp end through the tail part and run the stick up through the gutted belly and then run the stick through the back of the head and out the mouth. Let the fire down a little (you don't want a roaring fire).  Just keep the fire going with smaller pcs of wood.  You can lean the fish over the fire and use a couple rocks to balance and hold the willow over the fire.  Or you can just hold the willow over the fire.  This will take 10 minutes on each side at least.  The skin will get black (don't worry), and start to crack, etc.  Once it is done just lay the fish down and pull out the willow.  Then using a fork and fingers just break it up so you can get at the meat.  Sprinkle with salt/pepper and enjoy.  It will be so juicy.  I just like to put it on a pcs of buttered bread and have a sandwich.  This is one easy way to pack a shore lunch.....bread, butter, salt, pepper, fork.  We don't even take a dish.  You can lay the fish down on a bow off of a spruce tree and open it up with the fork and eat it, or make a sandwich.

mmmmmmmmm.....after this, I think I will have fish for super.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2019, 04:46 PM »
Bacon wrapped perch (or walleye) works really well for appetizers at a party or snack. 4 - 12" perch usually fill one baking sheet and use up a pack of bacon.

- First filet and debone your perch. Cut perch into chunks the same width as your bacon. The tail end if the fish can be left longer and rolled up. I like to place all my fillets in a bag with lemon pepper and mix it around till fully coated.
-Cut your bacon strips into quarters or thirds depending how big your fish chunks are. You only need to wrap around once. Pin the bacon in place using a tooth pick.
-Place on a foiled baking sheet and cook at 350F for 10-15min (depending on thickness of fish). Remove once bacon appears to be done. The bacon takes longer to cook than the fish. so be careful not to over cook.
-Remove from the oven and serve. the bacon grease with keep the fish from sticking to the pan.

Offline treeplucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2019, 03:11 PM »
Anybody ever smoke them ???I know  I know they are very hard to keep lit lol

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:00 PM »
 hey whytie, when i cook up bacon wrapped anything i like to fry the bacon on one side until it's just about done.  then wrap the cooked side of the bacon towards whatever it's going around, gets the bacon crispy without overcooking the fish.  works for me and works really well with burbot.

as far as recipes go i never really follow em too close but lately i've been soaking my walleye fillets in a 50/50 mix of franks and tapatio hot sauces for about 15 minutes, shake off excess then into seasoned flour and panko or italian breadcrumbs with just a touch of parmesan.  cook in hot oil and serve with thai sweet chili sauce...so good and surprisingly not overly hot.

good tip for cooking fish is to bring it up close to room temperature before beginning the seasoning and cooking process.

pike usually end up as poor man's lobster boiled up in salted water and 7up until the chunks float and then served with drawn garlic butter.  been meaning to try pickling some pike and will hopefully get around to that once it warms up a bit.

now i'm starving, thankfully there's fresh from the butcher venison stew bubbling on the stove.

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2019, 07:30 PM »
Anybody ever smoke them ???I know  I know they are very hard to keep lit lol
[/qu

I smoke whitefish and pike, whitefish are really good smoked. Mind you anything is good smoked

Offline dkruks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2019, 07:58 PM »
I just ate some pike that we caught today. Just a little salt and pepper fried in butter. My all-time favourite way to cook pike.  Out of cold water they are fantastic.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:34 PM »
Smoked trout is a personal favourite. After the brining and an applewood smoking, brush on a little maple syrup as the cooking finishes. If it is not as good as candied salmon, it's awfully close.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2019, 06:49 AM »
Fry in lard or butter, but not in vegetable oil. That suits my pallet best. As long as I stay away from vegetable oil, just about any coating of fish fillet gets tasty fries.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2019, 05:52 PM »
Try fish cakes...

Fish deboned and ground mix with shredded potatoes  ground.

I pre-cook fish and potatoes.

Then mix in some eggs, panko bread crumbs, fresh dill, parlsey and green onion.

Salt & Pepper and some lemon zest.

Mix all together.

Deep fry .

Serve  with wedges, fries or coleslaw.

Also you can serve on toasted bun with a homemade tartare sauce.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:20 PM »
Try fish cake...
Great recipe.

I would chop fish and potatoes into small chunks, and add some corn starch, water and spice. Mix and fry. It's like fish hash brown.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.