Author Topic: spoon/slab/jig topper?  (Read 2793 times)

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
spoon/slab/jig topper?
« on: Jan 15, 2008, 01:53 PM »
Has anyone ever tried to use a hook (with waxie or other) that slides free on the line above your jig? 
I've seen/heard of folks using a treble hook (with feather's tied on) that is free on the leader above a jigging spoon on soft water.  When the spoon falls, the treble falls slower.  When the spoon is lifted, it looks like it is chasing the smaller treble above it.
I was wondering if that would work for perch.  Especially when they are picky.
I'm going to try it out this weekend and see if I catch anything on the top hook.
Nick

Offline fishingrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: spoon/slab/jig topper?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2008, 08:38 AM »
I do  put flies above my jig.I use a rocker or something else to get me down quick and then put a black fly or two spaced about 8"-12" above .It did pretty good on the perch.
If your going to go out with the boys,You better get up with the men.

Offline Big Smith

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing like a Crappie Ice Hole!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2008, 11:12 AM »
I've never really targeted perch, but I fish in the WI River, so I catch a few by accident. I'm plan on going early in the morning while it is still dark. I plan on using a small S. Pimple (either glow or orange). I am running a 2.5" mono dropper with a small treble hook. ?- Do you think this is a good perch rig? I think it'll work on walleyes, but I'm not sure about perch. Also, I'm leaving the first hook on the pimple and still adding the dropper. Should I tip both hooks? Waxies, or Minnow heads?? Please help, I'm fairly new at this. I also have a couple jigging raps and a couple airplane jigs, would those do better? Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Stay on top!

Offline flyman1002

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2008, 03:15 PM »
Often times for panfish i will use a type of dropper...It doesn't slide like you discribe.  I tie a figure eight knot anywhere from 12-18 inches above my jig.  That leaves me with a 2 inch long loop knot off my main line.  I loop on either a size 12-14 bare hook and put a spike or two on that or at times a fly off the dropper.  Works really well at times.

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2008, 05:48 PM »
 What I usually use for perch is a Hali glo(perch color) jig! Swedish pimples are good,too! Just tip them with a waxie! Forage minnows by Northland work great, too! And when the bite is off and they get a little finicky, I'll switch to a small yellow Dot teardrop and a waxie! Make sure you bounce them off the bottom to stir things up!! Thats my perch tips for today!  ;D
TEAM  PA.

Offline zonks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2008, 02:42 PM »
Try a McGathy hook or a Hali with a perch eye

Offline jdisci

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The snack that smiles back, goldfish"
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2008, 02:49 PM »
I use a flapper that comes with a swedish pimple sometimes above the lure so it slides freely on the line above a small jig for panfish. It works the same way. I've watched the fish follow the flapper right down to the jig and hit the jig. Just leave enough tag end on your knot so it doesn't get caught on the knot to the jig.

"Like minnows in a bucket..."
Joe

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.