Author Topic: School of small perch  (Read 3950 times)

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
School of small perch
« on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:19 PM »
What do you guys do if the only thing you're catching are little bait robbing perch 4-7 inch perch. I've moved, but everywhere I went the bait robbers were there. I kept hoping that there were bigger perch around, but was unable to find them. When I switched from wigglers and waxworms, to minnows, I didn't get anymore bites. It is pretty much the story every time, I go to that lake.
Any advice, other than stop fishing the lake, or move more.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: School of small perch
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:25 PM »
put the perch on a tip up and see if you get a pike? or bass? just make it so they can't swim to the bottom if there is tons of them around put one on a tip up. the local big fish will see those as table fair. only thing you can do is try it out.  best of  luck  that if you don't get nothing move it always best to move to a different lake.   

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:43 PM »
Move or drop a depth charge... ;D

Usually dink perch are a good sign that you are on the wrong spot. If the lake is LOADED with them, perhaps you are on the wrong lake.

Offline icyveins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:47 PM »
catch a dink and cut it up and put a decent size piece of it on your hook.....you will draw in the larger fish! from experience thats what I have always done...bigger piece means the smaller ones cant fit it into there mouth!
if it is to be its up to me!

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2012, 10:07 PM »
I've done some reading and I think the lake is overpopulated and therefore the perch are stunted. I'm sure that there are large perch, but there are too many competing for the same food. The lake is 4,230 acres, we refer to it, as the "Dead Sea", or Brevoort Lake.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2012, 05:50 PM »
Try some plastics. Seemed to work for me as my percentage of dinks went downand jumbos went up. Just a thought
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2012, 07:53 PM »
Bug out, hit a different spot on the bar or flat. If that don't get it, move to a completely different flat, bar, hump or whatever!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2012, 12:19 PM »
the lake I fish has lots of stunted perch and a few hogs the best I found was using a flasher and drop it righ in front of the larger marks. if you don't have one try fishing a foot higher than the school the larger perch are more aggersive and will not be afraid to break from the school for an easy meal.

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:20 PM »
Lots of dink perch could be a sign of over pop on a little body of water. I have fished bigger lakes where you had to suck it up and sort through the dinks to get to the bigger fish on a single location.

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • stay warm, safe and tight lines
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2012, 09:10 PM »
Try plastics, jigging raps, forage minnow, anything alittle bigger
Tight lines and big fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.