Author Topic: Shallow or Deep  (Read 2602 times)

Offline 24-7 Fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
Shallow or Deep
« on: Feb 06, 2012, 10:50 PM »
Where does everyone typically catch their biggest perch on a given lake....in shallower or out in the depths?

Offline siyakadog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Shallow or Deep
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2012, 09:22 PM »
Most of the time I catch them in the deepest, the lake I usually fish is only 22ft, yesterday I was on a different lake and was catching them in 60ft.  I hate the 60ft fishing due to you have to keep them all.  I only caught 2 dinks out of the 15.  I hate the deep fishing though, much prefer the 20ft, so much easier.

Offline PondPerchPounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2012, 10:03 AM »
The lakes around me are usually 20 ft at max so more than depth I look for structure in the lake, dirt mounds, trees, drop offs and things like that. The biggest ones I've caught are in a drop off or hole with some sort of weeds or trees near it.
--If it was easy they would call it CATCHING not FISHING

Offline wickedwind

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2012, 01:22 PM »
Flats,shallow or deep.Look at a topo map of the lake and see where the flats are ,all that much better if you fish in summer on the same lake and know where weeds and small or large hard bottom spots are on said flats.Also a knowledge of forage base in the lake helps,ie;bugs,minnows ,young of the year panfish?It all helps in narrowing it down.

Offline gillyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2012, 10:56 PM »
I fish a lake that is from 3-30 ft deep and perch seem to be everywhere.  But if I find them shallow it seems like they are more willing to feed.  The seem to come and go or you have to move to keep on them in shallow water, but they hit harder when shallow.  Deep perch seem to be pickier to me, at least in this lake.  But sometimes you can sit on them in one hole all day.
I have caught them over 30 in nebraska and as was said the air bladders come out their mouth and they have to go home.

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2012, 10:50 AM »
Most of my bigger perch have been caught in the deep holes with a small len thompson yellow five of diamonds with red diamonds. I have caught very large perch in 6 feet of water in late winter i think it all depends on the lake and the depth of the lake. :tipup:

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2012, 09:48 PM »
do they go shallow to spawn?? because if so they should begin staging with the warm winter weve had here...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.