Author Topic: Anybody still getting out NJ?  (Read 7904 times)

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Anybody still getting out NJ?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 24, 2012, 02:08 PM »
Nice snotrocket BigYam. That thing is a chunk. :o

We went out yesterday and man was it brutal out there. Got only a couple fish but one was a decent chunk.
(Image removed from quote.)

Last week we weren't expecting much but we probably had our best day of the year quality wise. Our five best smallies almost hit 19lbs.

Those are some nice smallmouth. You should both send in a picture for the NJ Skillful Angler award in the "Catch & release" category. They have to be at least 19" to qualify. They both qualify I'm sure. Here's a link for the program. I got mine earlier this year. http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/skflang.htm
The application needs to be sent within 30 days of the catch and is at the bottom left of the page I attached.

Offline KneeDeepSteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 24, 2012, 05:19 PM »
Those are some nice smallmouth. You should both send in a picture for the NJ Skillful Angler award in the "Catch & release" category. They have to be at least 19" to qualify. They both qualify I'm sure. Here's a link for the program. I got mine earlier this year. http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/skflang.htm
The application needs to be sent within 30 days of the catch and is at the bottom left of the page I attached.
I thought about it but I didn't get a length measurement, only weight. I guess I could use my fingers as a guide and use some technology to get close but idk. Anyone out there a tech guy and able to guess a length, fish was real long, would have broke 5 if it had any type of gut.

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 24, 2012, 07:24 PM »
I thought about it but I didn't get a length measurement, only weight. I guess I could use my fingers as a guide and use some technology to get close but idk. Anyone out there a tech guy and able to guess a length, fish was real long, would have broke 5 if it had any type of gut.

Well you could use a conversion chart to guesstimate since I'd argue they look like they were long enough. I don't think you'd get any slack from NJDEP if you sent that pic in and said it was 19 1/2" long. Especially, if you know that it was around the 4 1/2 lb. mark. I'm convinced by the pics that more than one meets that requirement. Besides they like to give those awards out but without a picture you'd be toast. The picture is proof positive that you have some nice catches. Go for it! Here's the chart:- http://www.in-fisherman.com/2011/10/22/bass-length-to-weight-conversion-chart/

Offline cchick27

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 24, 2012, 09:52 PM »
just went and checked an early ice spot and it was full skim. we will see how long it will last with a 4 day stretch of 45 degrees forecasted in the next 3 weeks. only time will tell. alls im saying is im holding off a little longer on buying my waxies and spikes.
Im not sure what forecast youre seeing...the accuweather forecast i just checked said its not supposed to climb above 38 in the next couple days then dropping back down to just barely above freezing with temps dropping into the teens at night.
Chris

Offline KneeDeepSteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 25, 2012, 07:02 AM »
Well you could use a conversion chart to guesstimate since I'd argue they look like they were long enough. I don't think you'd get any slack from NJDEP if you sent that pic in and said it was 19 1/2" long. Especially, if you know that it was around the 4 1/2 lb. mark. I'm convinced by the pics that more than one meets that requirement. Besides they like to give those awards out but without a picture you'd be toast. The picture is proof positive that you have some nice catches. Go for it! Here's the chart:- http://www.in-fisherman.com/2011/10/22/bass-length-to-weight-conversion-chart/
Yea I hear ya, thanks for the info. Those conversion charts are pretty shaky but I'm pretty confident mine broke 19.5". A couple years back I won the catch and release category for the hybrid category. Just trying to be legit about my stuff.  Also Merry Christmas.

Offline oneofour

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:09 PM »
Nice snotrocket BigYam. That thing is a chunk. :o

We went out yesterday and man was it brutal out there. Got only a couple fish but one was a decent chunk.

Last week we weren't expecting much but we probably had our best day of the year quality wise. Our five best smallies almost hit 19lbs.

glad to see you are still gettin out bud! I had ACL surgery and the short time before that I didnt fish due to sandy. Looking forward to gettin out on the ice this year. How did you make out in the storm?

Offline KneeDeepSteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:44 PM »
Bunch of trees came down, some roof damage. Could have been a lot worse. Yea sandy messed up the fall run big time. How did you make out?

Feel free to come up anytime and hit the ice with us.

Offline oneofour

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:57 PM »
I would love to bud, you guys hitting any spots yet? Ill text you tomorrow, we will talk. I have a lot of free time on disability haha.

Offline canada72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:20 AM »
got out new year's day not a bad start of the year 3 bass & a picky ,can't wait to go get some eye's
play hard,fish even harder

Offline KneeDeepSteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:28 AM »
I would love to bud, you guys hitting any spots yet? Ill text you tomorrow, we will talk. I have a lot of free time on disability haha.
Not yet, tomorrow am will be my first trip out. Just hoping that where I am going has some safe ice.

Offline Icemark247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:50 AM »
were is the mighty "eel"
Hard Water Addict
FISH ON!!!!

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 05, 2013, 07:44 PM »
Got plenty but they didn't do much today.

Offline Doitnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 13, 2013, 07:24 PM »
Hit Round Valley today,5 lakers to 22 inches. All on bait at 80 feel.

Offline icefisherman309

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 13, 2013, 08:18 PM »
hey where did you get those mousees

Offline beartracks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:18 PM »
Nice January 2013 laker.

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:12 PM »
Hit Spruce Run today from 2 -4pm, got one nice fat pike, 26-28"

Offline Icemark247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 14, 2013, 08:38 PM »
hit a river by my dads got a nice pike the other day and today hit a small pond from lubbers run and got a nice bass.
Hard Water Addict
FISH ON!!!!

Offline cchick27

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:48 AM »
Ive been hittin some trout streams gettin into the holdover fall stockers pretty well
Chris

Offline Icemark247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:31 PM »
hopefully this weather they are saying is going to happen next week actually happans if it does we will be back on the ice hopefully by that weekend
Hard Water Addict
FISH ON!!!!

Offline reelfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 17, 2013, 03:09 PM »
I'm still stocking up on bait. I have a few dozen fallfish in the freezer now and got around 30 goldens and suckers today. Bring on the ice!

You catch your bait? ive been trying to get my hands on some suckers but dont know where to look??

Offline Tep151

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice!!!
« Reply #50 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:48 PM »
where do you guys get the goldens and suckers from, im in central jersey and no where around here has them is it only the streams up north...

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 17, 2013, 07:53 PM »
Suckers can be found in most NJ streams. I just caught about a dozen on Sunday, from 5 to 10 inches out in Hunterdon Cty. Already got one pike from Spruce on them. Look for slow holes around bridges or below rifts where it is easy to get above the stream to look for them. They can be hard to spot if you can't visually see them, they blend in well with the creek bottom. I prefer to look in small streams. Seem to be hungry for worms this time of year. Also heard of a bait shop on Rt 33 around Hamiltom if your in south Jersy that sell them. Keep them aerated with fresh stream water and they will live awhile.  good luck

Offline reelfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:41 PM »
Will i have any luck in raritan river or passaic river trying to catch them. i have seen them in the summer but will they bite now???

Offline MattC1896

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:24 PM »
I know a place in hillsborough thats loaded with them. Send me a PM

Offline reelfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 18, 2013, 10:04 PM »
pm sent

Offline reelfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 19, 2013, 05:34 PM »
do you catch any in raritan river this time of year???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.