Author Topic: The Things Mother Never Told Ya  (Read 527 times)

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happiness is a big gut pile.
The Things Mother Never Told Ya
« on: Oct 06, 2012, 11:56 AM »
That is unless she fished the hard water...

ROPE... Check

ICE-PICKS... Check

Sphincter-Check... Check                           OOOOPPPPPPSSSSSSSS you get that one free on first ice.

For the new guys, the ice-picks are cheap and may just get you back on top once you have fallen through. Cheap insurance. And it might be a good idea to refresh the safety procedures that are posted at the start of this site. Always use 1 extra sandwich bag when making lunch for a day out, put the phone in it.
And for the guys with the case of the CabinFever,         Been There        Done That        Still doing it.

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: The Things Mother Never Told Ya
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2012, 11:15 PM »
Here's the obvious for some. Never have like 10 guys standing in a circle singing kumbayah on 4-6" of ice. The new version of frozen kumbayah was not a hit. And don't go telling others the ice is safe in those conditions like I did last January. Some folk take you out of context and make you out to be a monster on other forums. That's when mob rule really comes into play. They're like sharks in blood stained water circling their victim eager to take a chunk out.

Never go on less than 4" of ice by yourself unless you weigh 150 lbs or less. Never fish within 15' of anyone on 4" of ice that weighs, +- 20lbs of the 250 mark. And all the more so if you can't do the 40 in less than 10 seconds on ice.

Remember the 1st principle key to actually helping someone is to NOT become a victim yourself. Make sure you do not get wet when fetching others out. That means have at least 100' of strong rope tied to a tree so you can't be pulled in by bigger buds. If you fish Hopatcong make it 1000' of rope or just call 911 and go back to jigging. You did your good deed for the day.

;) ;) ;) For those whom you don't like bring a bag of balloons and throw the bag to them with instructions on how to blow up balloons and float while hypothermia is setting in. For special effects you can play Zeppelins version of "In My Time of Dying". You will soon find out if they believe that "God" exists and you'll hear them renounce all the blasphemous comments they made about how god is a man made concept for only weak minded persons. ;) ;) ;)

Never fish ice that is over moving water, like a river.  The risks are to great and risking your life to catch fish is very foolish (another reason why I like boats better, especially in winter on a river). In fact, you really don't just risk your own life but others lives as well. Namely, any rescuers that have to come to your foolish aid.

Review and inventory all equipment and safety procedures ahead of time (like right now) and periodically review them during the season to keep them fresh in your mind.

Compliments of Alaska:- http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/education/educators/curricula/pdfs/ice_fishing.pdf
Compliments of Colorado:-
http://parks.state.co.us/SiteCollectionImages/parks/Programs/BoatingProgram/SystemWideFormsandInfo/Ice%20Safety-Park%20Pointer.pdf

You can't say I didn't "told ya so"! And some of the comments above are tongue in cheek, it's up to you to figure that out yourself. 

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happiness is a big gut pile.
Re: The Things Mother Never Told Ya
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2012, 01:00 PM »
Here's a classic that always gets my back up...

Your sitting on your bucket, a 100 off the beach on slick ice and some numb-nuts with no spikes on walks up behind Ya and asks "How Thick Is The Ice?".

That one is right there with the sound of some numb-skulls mellon making first contact ( hopefully not last either ) with the ice when they take a header.

Picks, rope, spikes and a change of old clothing, should Ya screw up and live to make it back to your ride.

I still can't believe guys will spend 2 grand for an ice setup and not 7-10 for a set of picks or whatever the going rate is for a set of Korkers. Amazing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.