Author Topic: Waubay  (Read 10503 times)

Offline FreddySL1

• IceShanty Rookie
Waubay
« on: Jan 10, 2010, 12:33 PM »
A few buddies and myself are heading up to Waubay the first weekend in Febuary, was wondering if anyone had any tips for us.  I have not been to that area in 5+ years so any advice would be helpful.  Are other lakes in the area producing better than Waubay?  Lures?  Bait?  Thanks for any help.

Offline iowaperch

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Waubay
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2010, 10:25 AM »
where are you guys headed me and some buddies are going up there the same weekend usually if you stop by the sportsmans cove they can point you in the right directions  thats where we are renting the our sleeper ice shacks from last year we were up there and fished out of them and did really welll

Offline Crash04

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2010, 07:25 PM »
I'll be up there the last weekend in Jan ....I'll post on here how I did.....U can catch alot of walleye from midnight to 4am  most times on waubay...glow lures work well ....but when they bite they will almost hit any thing....Other than that you just have to find out where the bite is that week...The guy at the cove always tells me where the bite was the week before....find some old guys drinkin cofffe some where in the morning and ask them ...they always have the best info...cattail-kettle is always a safe bet it has a little bit of everything.....Enemy swim is good for gills but I  aways have a hard time findin them...Watched an ice fishing show the other nite and they talked about blue dog but I have never fished that place...reetz has some great fish if you can find them....and they raised the daily limit of perch to 10...

Offline iowaperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2010, 07:07 AM »
where is kettle cattail locatated from waubay how far is it.  I heard about that lake alot this summer when we were camping up on roy lake last summer. Roy is also a good lake to try we did very well out there last summer for perch walleye crappie and small mouths.  I know what you mean about the night bite on waubay the guy at sportsmans had us set up on a spot for a late evening to early morning bite and man was it amazing we probably pulled in thirty to fourty eyes a piece between the two of us the one night we stayed.  For a good jigging lure i bought some jigging spoons called the stop signs.  They say they are the number one lure on lake of the woods and man did they ever work on waubay.  I had the ones that glow really really bright red and the eyes loved them!!!!

Offline FreddySL1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:33 PM »
We are staying at the Lynn Lake Lodge I believe, around 10 of us going.  Thanks for the tips and help.  How are the sleeper shacks though Sportsmans?  How many people do they hold?

Offline Crash04

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:52 PM »
Is Lynn Lake the one with the Island with the house and barn and some other stuff on it....if so does any one know how the crappie fishing is in it....

Offline Crash04

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:57 PM »
It seems like every year I go to the waubay area there is always a new lake that is really hot or just opend up tp fishin for the first time....If any one hears of something like this........it would be nice to have some info on the lake before I head that way....

Offline iowaperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2010, 12:35 AM »
sportsmans cove shacks are really pretty nice and he always puts you on fish and they are really decent on the price FREDDYSL. Whats your number we could get together when we are there and find some fish My number is 7122980359.And that lake crash you are talking about it lake thompson.

Offline Crash04

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2010, 03:39 PM »
No not thompson.. the one I'm thinkin of is west and north of webster SD some where...I have never fished Thompson....

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2010, 09:49 AM »
Anyone been there recently?  I'm wondering what the snow condition/depth is like on the ice as far as getting around with vehicles. 

Offline iowaperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2010, 03:18 PM »
from what i hear getting around is tough. i guess there is pretty good acess off busters and a pretty decent road all the way to duck island.  they say if you stay on that path you should be good to go but to bring shovels just in case.  they also said there has been a really good bit for eyes right now and they did take the minimum lenght limit off that lake as of january 1 and instead of 2 eyes you can keep four per person but remeber the state wide rule of only one over twenty per person. :tipup:

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2010, 06:00 PM »
Anyone been there recently?  I'm wondering what the snow condition/depth is like on the ice as far as getting around with vehicles. 
i was out on Waubay yesterday with no luck, went on at Grenville and the trail only goes out so far unless you want to venture out . was enough snow yet to say that you really have to keep your momentum going or you will struggle,then its so rough a ride that stuff in the truck flies all over. thought by now it would be crusted some that the atv would carry but not really,the snow was still quite soft yet.the snowmobile is still the ticket as their was alot of them on the ice. got settled in some 12' foot of water for the night bite and at 6:11 the wife got home and the steers were out and i had a hour drive yet to get home so don't know if the nite would have been any better.didn't have a bite all afternoon. read on the proud anglers report this morning that school bus produced some fish and that the refuge gave up some nice perch and walleye but its all on foot on the refuge so you would'nt want to haul too much stuff out.it said Pickeral was still producing crappies yet another report i read that Pickeral really slowed down ALOT. who knows unless you try it yourself. i was going to go to Pickeral today but opted to remove the snow off the cattle panels that got covered by the snow that came off the barn roof ,thats how steers got out and ruined my night bite,darn cattle..sounds like maybe some rain mid week,maybe that will crust the snow enough to get the atv out their.couldn't get on blue dog.pickups were out 100' ft. and no pickup trail out on enemy swim either at the public accsess.
born to fish---forced to work

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:44 AM »
where are you guys headed me and some buddies are going up there the same weekend usually if you stop by the sportsmans cove they can point you in the right directions  thats where we are renting the our sleeper ice shacks from last year we were up there and fished out of them and did really welll

Let me know how it goes.  I've got the Red Lodge reserved for Saturday and Sunday 2/13 and 2/14.  Any tips or info would be appreciated!  Good luck on your trip.  Tear em up!

Q

Offline iowaperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:10 AM »
any body been out lately in the area. leaving friday at 2am to get out there hope they are biting. i heard that they are catching some nice perch on reetz lake any body know what that is located from webster?

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:07 PM »
any body been out lately in the area. leaving friday at 2am to get out there hope they are biting. i heard that they are catching some nice perch on reetz lake any body know what that is located from webster?
was out on Sat. around the duck island-hellwigs island area.getting around with 4x4 pickup is tough. we got another 3 inches of powder snow today.this is on Waubay lake. i went out venturing where their WERE trails before and evidence that their was ice shacks at one time and went plowing through some old trails that were now blown in with snow and had the living crap scared out of me. man their were slush pockets i fell through.didn't know when to dtop,if you did right when you fell into one of them ,your done.i managed to stop on hard surface,drilled almost my whole auger length and was nothing but slush all the way down,through auger in the truck and got the heck out of their.how i made it out ,i don't know but you have no idea where their at. last time i'm taking the truck out.hardly anybody out their.saw 5 trucks all aft. in that area.i marked one fish at 5PM.never bit.Snowmobiles and atv will be your best bet as the snow hardened up now with the rain we got lastweek.can only get on Pickeral with sled or atv as is just about everyother lake in the area. i never been to Reetz. be careful out their..
born to fish---forced to work

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They just call me Major.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:18 PM »
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=webster,+sd&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=30.461748,78.75&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Webster,+Day,+South+Dakota&ll=45.257972,-97.514133&spn=0.026402,0.076904&t=h&z=14

hope this link for reetz works.  its a few miles straight south of webster.  its the big body on the west side of the road on this photo.  you should be able to pan out and see its relation to webster.  you can usually access on the SE corner off the hiway or NW corner off the gravel road.  Haven't been there this year tho.  good luck.

Offline soaknwet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:08 AM »
Are you taking about Reids in Clark county?
The river goes on forever and the fishing never ends.........

Offline Crash04

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2010, 06:09 PM »
I think the bite is over in reetz...or for a while any way.....and to many damn people are keepin walleye out of there when there not even near 28 inches....but i think the wardens are gettin wise...they are checkin people as they leave the lake

Offline iowaperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2010, 01:06 PM »
we spent this last weekend on reetz in the sportsmans cove shack. i did catch a 27 inch tagged eye and she was released after pictures(i wish i knew how to post them on here) caught her on friday and that was the only fish. saturday was a little better we got 8 nice perch but we marked the crap out of them they were just really tight lipped. both times we were out there we were checked coming off the lake wardens

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2010, 01:33 PM »
Glad to hear the C.O.s are doing their job. If they relax a bit Reetz will become one of the dead seas like some others in that area.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2010, 11:46 AM »
we spent this last weekend on reetz in the sportsmans cove shack. i did catch a 27 inch tagged eye and she was released after pictures(i wish i knew how to post them on here) caught her on friday and that was the only fish. saturday was a little better we got 8 nice perch but we marked the crap out of them they were just really tight lipped. both times we were out there we were checked coming off the lake wardens

Got any tips for me?  The GF and I have the red shack from Sportsmans reserved for Saturday and Sunday.  Anything you wish you would have brought along that you didn't?

Thanks,

Q

Offline iowaperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2010, 08:43 AM »
wish we would of brought dynamite along ;D no we had our best luck on genz worms green yellow or gold. a flasher is a must we did not get a bite on a bobber. i wish i would have brought some spring bobbers the perch were very lite biting. i am sure doug will have you out on reetz lake again the snow on waubay is just to much. he had us on fish in the shack we were just out there in the middle of a tough bite hopefully the fish will cooperate with you this weekend let me know how you end up doin.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2010, 09:46 AM »
Thanks a bunch for the advise!  I think I've got that covered.  I'll make sure I pack the Vexi and Camera.  We both fish with St. Croix Legend's so we've got the spring bobbers covered.  Were you fishing with waxies and/or minnows?

Looks like some weather is supposed to go through this weekend.  I hope that turns the bite on!

I'll bet that 27" eye was freakin great!  I can just imagine how fun that must have been.

Thanks again,

Q

Offline iowaperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2010, 12:03 PM »
waxis and wigglers worked the best we did have some minnows on the rattle reels anlong with a couple chubs on tip ups that whats nice about south dakota you can have four lines per person. we did have two real good bites on the chubs took the line out about 20 or thirty feet but never caught any thing and the chubs were still on both times.  i caught the eye on a halis jigging spoon with the chain and wigglers.but just  talk to doug he is a supper good guy and will tell ya whats up. oh the camera might be worthless on reetz the water is very dirty.good luck and be sure to report back

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.