Author Topic: Ice fishing mid layer( sweatshirts and pants  (Read 1123 times)

Offline trout hounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If it swims ive caught it
Ice fishing mid layer( sweatshirts and pants
« on: Feb 19, 2024, 12:32 AM »
I’m looking for a good hoodie and pants for ice fishing for under my bibs and jacket
if it bites I chase it

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice fishing mid layer( sweatshirts and pants
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2024, 05:09 AM »
Arbor wear hoody

Offline Dan in NH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2024, 05:26 AM »
I wear an Under Armor hoodie and Carhartt lined pants

Offline fish-N-forage

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2024, 09:34 AM »
I have the Eskimo bibjack I would recommend it. I especially like it since I got it for 35 bucks on sportsman's warehouse a couple years ago

Offline fishchef

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2024, 10:24 AM »
As an avid, cold weather hunter, I tend to use my Kuiu huntin gear under my insulated Carharrt bibs when ice fishin. They work great, extremely light weight and I already have them.

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2024, 10:27 AM »
I have the Eskimo bibjack I would recommend it. I especially like it since I got it for 35 bucks on sportsman's warehouse a couple years ago
I like my bibjak, watch sales, don't spend over $50. Order your normal size if you want to use it as a layer, or up a size if you want to use it as your outer layer. I use it as an outer layer with my bibs when it's going to be warmer out, say over 25, or I'm planning in being in a shack all day.

I have several hoodies I use depending on how cold its going to be. The ones that have been good are the Striker UNRL and the Carhart rain defender for when it's cold. When it's not as cold, I like the one I have that is mossy oak branded, but lots of other brands make the same type. Polyester, breathable, and with a little extra material that comes up around the neck. I used to just use cotton hoodies but they don't breath and want to bunch up under my jacket, poly is the way to go.
This is the one I use the most:
https://store.mossyoak.com/collections/mens-fishing-tops/products/mossy-oak-fishing-elements-logo-hoodie

Pants I do the nylon wrangler outdoor hiking type normally, when it's really cold, I have the same type but with an insulated lining, and those are Eddie Baur branded. Again, I'm sure there are lots of brands making very similar.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2024, 06:09 AM »
Problem with Carhart rain defender is they, and most others, are eliminating the waffle insulation, replacing it with a fleece lining. Never buying fleece. Can't stand the stuff.
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2024, 07:49 AM »
I like my bibjak, watch sales, don't spend over $50. Order your normal size if you want to use it as a layer, or up a size if you want to use it as your outer layer. I use it as an outer layer with my bibs when it's going to be warmer out, say over 25, or I'm planning in being in a shack all day.

I have several hoodies I use depending on how cold its going to be. The ones that have been good are the Striker UNRL and the Carhart rain defender for when it's cold. When it's not as cold, I like the one I have that is mossy oak branded, but lots of other brands make the same type. Polyester, breathable, and with a little extra material that comes up around the neck. I used to just use cotton hoodies but they don't breath and want to bunch up under my jacket, poly is the way to go.
This is the one I use the most:
https://store.mossyoak.com/collections/mens-fishing-tops/products/mossy-oak-fishing-elements-logo-hoodie

Pants I do the nylon wrangler outdoor hiking type normally, when it's really cold, I have the same type but with an insulated lining, and those are Eddie Baur branded. Again, I'm sure there are lots of brands making very similar.

Must agree on most of the above post ...the Wrangler Outdoor/ATG or a nylon/polyester equivilant is my goto pants ...with a tech/silk weight base layer. Midlayer I have a couple of hoodies mostly cooton/poly blends ....I add a fleece vest atop that I am am good to go on most days . My Striker Ice Predator suit has not let me down ...but the jacket gets minimal use . I do have a soft shell jacket that I got from Sportsmans Guide in a larger size that is quite nice and fits the bill most days that require another outer layer and for $20 bucks and no bulk its a no brainer.

jrjach75  thanks for the sizing info on the BibJack . If I can ask you a question ? What is your height and weight and what size did you  purchase ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2024, 09:34 AM »
Must agree on most of the above post ...the Wrangler Outdoor/ATG or a nylon/polyester equivilant is my goto pants ...with a tech/silk weight base layer. Midlayer I have a couple of hoodies mostly cooton/poly blends ....I add a fleece vest atop that I am am good to go on most days . My Striker Ice Predator suit has not let me down ...but the jacket gets minimal use . I do have a soft shell jacket that I got from Sportsmans Guide in a larger size that is quite nice and fits the bill most days that require another outer layer and for $20 bucks and no bulk its a no brainer.

jrjach75  thanks for the sizing info on the BibJack . If I can ask you a question ? What is your height and weight and what size did you  purchase ?

My non-insulated pants are the Wrangler ATG as well, forgot to mention that.

I'm around 5'9" and just under 200lb. I normally buy everything in L, including my ice suit. If I were buying the Bibjak to go under my bibs with minimal layering, I would buy a size L. Since I'm using mine as a pull over, over my bibs and want to wear a heavier layer under it, I went with an XL. All that being said, I would say that overall the Bibjak does run a little small in the L and XL sizes. I'd go up a size if you are on the edge of being in between sizes.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2024, 08:35 PM »
Anything 100% merino wool.  Either icebreaker or smartwool is the way to go.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2024, 11:53 AM »
I once saw that downhill ski suit, kind of like the Olympic style competition wear.  Thought that would be great to have, then thought about how I need to get access to piss...and no go for me.  ;D  But still afterwards just went with standard athletic compression wear and has worked great for me.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline MissRappala

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Better than the best, get your rest.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2024, 03:48 PM »
Anything 100% merino wool.  Either icebreaker or smartwool is the way to go.

As someone who struggles to stay warm (even deal with Reynauld’s that makes it harder), full merino wool is the way to go. Duckworth makes a variety of great layers to invest in as a MT/America-based brand!

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2024, 04:41 PM »
Here is a great pullover, wind proof and water resistant. Very warm and cuts out allk the wind. It also has removable hood and mask. I have used it as my outer layer outside the bibs 3x now in mid teens for weather and have not yet needed a coat. Only down side is there  is only 1 big pocket in front. The problem with the Eskimo bibjak is it is ment only to be worn inside as the wind proofing is only on the top, the bottom is cotton like a regular sweat shirt so it doesn't block the wind when worn outside bibs, the one below does. Today in 20 mph winds I was nice and warm and my buddy was not with the  bibjak! And its a third the price.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2024, 07:19 PM »
Here is a great pullover, wind proof and water resistant. Very warm and cuts out allk the wind. It also has removable hood and mask. I have used it as my outer layer outside the bibs 3x now in mid teens for weather and have not yet needed a coat. Only down side is there  is only 1 big pocket in front. The problem with the Eskimo bibjak is it is ment only to be worn inside as the wind proofing is only on the top, the bottom is cotton like a regular sweat shirt so it doesn't block the wind when worn outside bibs, the one below does. Today in 20 mph winds I was nice and warm and my buddy was not with the  bibjak! And its a third the price.

Do you have a link to this pullover you are talking about?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2024, 09:02 AM »

Do you have a link to this pullover you are talking about?

Search softshelll on Amazon ...tons of items ...made my head exploded ...at fairly decent pricing ..with and without hoods ...detachable hoods ...pockets pocket pockets .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline wyatt_8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2024, 10:13 AM »
The Aftco reaper is worth a look.  I have both the sweatshirt and the outer shell.  Both are very light and warm, shed water, and are very wind proof.  The sweatshirt dries really fast.  I don’t use the built in mask but do keep it around my neck as a gaiter and it’s great at keeping wind and snow from blowing down your back.  The outer shell jacket does still have the waffle cut insulation instead of full fleece too, and has great cuffs and zippers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.