Author Topic: Going to try and ice fish Big Creek this winter looking for tips  (Read 1595 times)

Offline morgansmisfit

• IceShanty Rookie
Hello Everyone!

Im new to the forum but not new to winter.

We got a wild idea of trying to get up to Big Creek Res this winter. I know you need snow machines to get in.

Does anyone have experience fishing this lake or even better ice fishing it?

We are planning a 2 night trip with some snowmobiles and the studabaker weasel. (she turned 80 this year and still going strong!)

If we dont catch any fish it should make for a great adventure!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Several years ago now, but me and a bud took snowmobiles into Big Creek for a day trip.  Another friend took his ARGO in.  We iced it the day after Xmas. We fished a couple spots on the lake but only caught 1 laker right near the outlet. Lots of snow on top of 4" of ice lots of slush. LOADS of wind. We had a hut but it was kinda brutal.

On a nice day it's be fine I think!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline morgansmisfit

• IceShanty Rookie
Oh argos are cool! How did that perform? how much snow do you think was there between christmas and newyears. would like to figure out a way to mitigate the slush fest if possible but we will see how it goes.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Argo was stupid slow He needed to use low range. In fact he turned around cause he woulda run out of daylight doing the entire round trip.  I think 1-way is 12 miles?

2 feet of snow I think back then.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline thill

• IceShanty Rookie
Have a plan B and plan on a real ice fishing adventure. 

It will be 14 or 17 miles each way, can't remember which.  You will park in windblown probably dirt lot and then go a couple of miles before you hit good snow for riding.

Wind/Slush/Wind - Don't even think about it if there is any wind in the forecast.   The last trip and I mean most likely ever the last trip, we had no wind until we were about 1/2 mile from the lake and then you couldn't see 100'.   Made it onto the slush, slowly worked our way along the bank as you couldn't see 100' and found what we thought was the area we wanted to fish.  Step off the snow machines and was in knee deep slush.   Had to park 2 snow machines in an L to attempt to set up our huts in this crap because of the wind.  Survived 2 hours and couldn't get off the lake fast enough.   Get a mile away from the lake and there was no wind!!

Make sure you go with a group of people and machines - no cell service.   Chances are you will be the only ones on the lake, if not one other group might be as mentally challenged as you are.  We ran into a group of guys that were bringing up a wall tent to stay for an overnighter.  I asked them where the hell do you set up a walltent - Slushy ice or waistdeep snow on shore - I asked them do you want me to notify search and rescue for you when we get back to the parking lot.

It will be an adventure if go and good luck.

Offline morgansmisfit

• IceShanty Rookie
well i was 100% for it and whiteouts and snow dont scare me.... this slush issue though.... i need to rack my head around how to mitigate that.... My friend owns the corner store there in walden and said we could notify him via garmin and he would come looking. The plan was 3 sleds and my snowcat for the heavy lifting. I mean are the fish worth it or are we just going for a winter adventure... cause if its the latter might as well go to my go to spot at camp hale where the weasel trained during the war. 

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
I was always "intrigued" with making a run up to Big Creek for a day of fishing. Even kicked it around with some other guys who have sleds and are into Mac fishing...not anymore.

Offline thill

• IceShanty Rookie
Now would probably be a good time to try as we haven't had much snow to build up any slush and not much in the forecast.  Doubtful it would be good for the sleds though yet..  Could be wrong, as I live directly west of the lake on the otherside of the divide and no where close enough snow to sled.   

There are definitely some quality fish in the lake and after a few ice trips you will understand why.

Offline morgansmisfit

• IceShanty Rookie
Do you think we would be able to get the truck closer if we went earlier? Whats the ice situation up there looking like right now. We are on the front range so its not as easy as just swing up the hill.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
when I went we just took a chance.  you'll hafta call someone up there to find any details.

Or just go it'll be an Adventure for sure. ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline thill

• IceShanty Rookie
It depends when they close the road.   The gate that closes the road is 8-10 miles before the turnoff to the lake.  I would drive up first and see if the road is open or locked shut.
It was closed last year by the 2nd weekend in December last year  and we had already had a crap pot of snow.  The parking lot was still complete dirt as were the first couple of miles.

Offline morgansmisfit

• IceShanty Rookie
alright im trying to pump the crew up for this.... the expectation is winter adventure and if we get a line in the water great.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
I made it there and it was the 1st time on snowmobiles in the backcountry! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sounds like death is a possibility lol

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
This thread makes the Adirondacks look tame by comparison. Fortunately, or unfortunately, we don't have a lake in NY that is as far from a parking spot as this one in CO that sounds harder to plan a trip to than a lunar mission. I like reading about it though, and glad there are still places in this country that are so remote and forboding.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Hello Everyone!

Im new to the forum but not new to winter.

We got a wild idea of trying to get up to Big Creek Res this winter. I know you need snow machines to get in.

Does anyone have experience fishing this lake or even better ice fishing it?

We are planning a 2 night trip with some snowmobiles and the studabaker weasel. (she turned 80 this year and still going strong!)

If we dont catch any fish it should make for a great adventure!

WELL? ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline thill

• IceShanty Rookie
Just a heads up.  The area around the lake has received over 80" of snow of the last 7 days.    The wind has been unreal - I wouldn't be surprised if there are actually dry spots as the wind has been hurricane force at times.  I am sure you can ride into the area if you have the right equipment.

You better hit it after this cold spell ends or the slush and snow depth will swallow you.  Bring your extension on your auger once the slush forms and freezes.

Good luck and send pictures if you go.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.