Author Topic: Strikemaster mora  (Read 1653 times)

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
Strikemaster mora
« on: Mar 18, 2019, 09:46 PM »
I bought new blades in December of 2018 for my strikemaster mora 7 inch. Ended up getting a deal on a new Milwaukee m18 with two 5amh batteries and a clam plate.  Absolutely loved the setup and ended up drilling around 30 holes a trip for my friends and myself. Batteries were awesome by the way, not once did I need to use my backup battery and we had some cold days.  Nevertheless, my problem is that my blades are all nicked up and dulled now.  I am a novice ice fisher, is that common wear or should I make a change for next year?   I am looking at the strikemaster lazer 8 inch to pair with things but that is another 100 dollars into things. Believe me I’m hooked and will pay the 100 if need be but I was wondering what the ice fishing community felt about this situation? That vexilar is what got me hooked. I’m a video gamer from the 80’s so it doesn’t take much to peak my interest. Think Atari 2600 days. 

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Strikemaster mora
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2019, 10:10 PM »
If your blades are beat up....I guess the only option is to buy new ones.  The blades on my Mora auger have lasted close to 50 years and are still sharp as razors.  But I hand sharpen them after every day of use.

Offline Longshoremen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2019, 11:10 PM »
Ice be mindful when walking from hole to hole when drilling so that you are not banging the blades on the ice, I've seen it before guys walking from hole to hole using there auger like a walking stick, put new blades on and always put your cover on when you are done. And make sure you are in drill mode and drill speed on low #1.👍

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2019, 02:41 AM »
Sounds like dirty ice.  It can Nick blades up quickly.
Don

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2019, 06:03 AM »
If it’s dirty ice, no amount of new blades will remedy the problem unless you go with a chipper style blade (the moras have shaver blades) which will require a different auger bit and even at that, dirty ice will eventually end up winning the battle. But chipper style blades help.

If it isn’t dirty ice, you’re abusing the hell out of your blades. Some tips:

You’re auger is an auger, not a walking stick. Gently place your blades on the ice, no amount of force should be used when setting them on ice. Don’t let your friends use your auger unless they agree to chip in on some new blades. Lending your auger out is the quickest way to destroy the blades. When using it on a drill, don’t add any extra down-force when drilling (that just puts unnecessary strain on the blades). I’m not saying you did any of those things but auger blades need to be respected. Also, don’t think those dinged up blades won’t still cut your finger off

FWIW, I’ve been using an 8” Lazer for 7 seasons still on the original set of blades. The last 3 seasons it’s been on a Clam Plate w/ a Milwaukee Fuel. Make sure your StrikeMaster blades are made in Sweden and not China. The Chinese blades are much softer than the Swedish blades. Mine are Swedish.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2019, 08:36 AM »
Thanks fir all the comments.  I took a few pictures to display what I was trying to describe. I have been relatively careful with transport and walking with my auger.   However I have been using downward pressure when they started to not cut as quick. Not really sure what dirty eyes means. I have brought up weeds at times. My cover latch broke so I rigged a piece of bungee across to hold it on. It does seem to move around within the cover and you can bits of red plastic stuck in the nicks from travel.  Again thanks for the help. 

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2019, 12:14 PM »
You can get those blades sharpened, Fish 307 (banner on top of the page) sharpens blades.

I would buy a second pair to keep in your sled, as someone mentioned it may be from dirty ICE (not eyes).
It would help if you put your location in your profile, some areas are prone to dirty ice.

If your'e banging up Mora blades, I would think twice about Laser blades. The Laser blades are thinner and not as durable as the Mora. I have an 8" Laser and I love it, I treat it very gently, still rips through holes after 3 years and 100's of holes.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2019, 01:40 PM »
You've got a dandy little setup there and there's no need to change it up. It sounds like you've been spinning through some dirty ice. As bowski says, ship off those ragged blades for a good sharpening. Your local sharpening shop probably will not do a first class job, at least my local guys can't. Buy a set of new ones to have on hand as needed and off season is the time to buy them. Personally, I went from an 8" hole after 40 years to a 7" hole with a Nero auger this year and could not be more satisfied with the hole size or the auger blades.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline IceFishFreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2019, 02:57 PM »
I think i've had the opposite experience with the mora.  i had a 5 inch about 15 years ago.  I thought it dug holes well (manual crank back then) and I only had to get new blades say every 2 years.  That's fishing 2-3 times a week for several months.  I used a lazer and I sold my mora at a rummage sale for like $10.  If you have the means to sharpen correctly,  then great.  That will do.  If you don't have the correct means and it's a hack job,  those blades need a perfect angle or they'll walk on you and cut for crap.

I personally would get rid of it and buy a lazer and it will cut great with a milwaukee even if they are dull.  Those 7 or 8 inch mora's....that's a lot of diameter to cut,  they dull fairly quickly with that style of blades.  Plus you can't reopen holes with them....and if you are,  that's your chipping issue.

Smaller the auger,  the longer it will feel like it's getting the job done easy.   that's just my take on the mora.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2019, 03:15 PM »
An example of “dirty ice” is when a river gets going and dumps sand and debris all over the top of the ice, and then it refreezes. If you’re in a situation like that the blades are gonna be full immediately after drilling through the ice.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2019, 03:22 PM »
Windy  states that have constant strong winds that blow dirt,sand and debris on to the ice is a good example of dirty ice.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2019, 03:29 PM »
Dirty ice can also be caused by the wind picking up nearby sand and dropping it on the ice surface. Real tough on blades. Chinese blades are better than they used to be but try to locate Swedish steel if you can. Better yet is the Russian steel used on the Neros, unfazed by dirty ice, but those blades only fit Nero augers.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2019, 09:23 PM »
Thanks for the 307 information, I think I am going to send them in to be sharpened, I have a second set, so two sets for 30 dollars is worth a try.  Also thanks for the knowledge of what dirty ice is, obviously the “eyes” comment in an earlier post was a mistake due to talking into my phone to make a post. I have fished Chautauqua  red house  cuba lime and Harwood .    Fished Cuba afterwork today.  Not a single bite, but marked a bunch. Ice was still about 10 inches. 

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2019, 10:43 PM »
Buy a good sharpening stone and tune up the blades every other trip. Those blades look beaten up, dirty ice can kill them as well as dull blades can kill your drill ! I also have a 7 inch Mora for probably 15 years with same blades that cut great with regular sharpening. One of the guys I fish with has the same Mora with horrible blades and he struggles all day, quite honestly I drill most of the holes so I don't have to see him close to cardiac arrest.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2019, 08:51 AM »
The blades made in Sweden will hold up better than the ones you have.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 20, 2019, 07:16 PM »
Thanks fir all the comments.  I took a few pictures to display what I was trying to describe. I have been relatively careful with transport and walking with my auger.   However I have been using downward pressure when they started to not cut as quick. Not really sure what dirty eyes means. I have brought up weeds at times. My cover latch broke so I rigged a piece of bungee across to hold it on. It does seem to move around within the cover and you can bits of red plastic stuck in the nicks from travel.  Again thanks for the help. 

Those in the pictures are not "MADE IN SWEDEN MORA BLADES". The Rapala VMC blades are not even worth resharpening.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 21, 2019, 04:54 AM »
Yeah after further research and comments,  I have decided  to buy a strike master lazer 8 inch instead. I can’t seem to find one for sale this late in the season and will probably just wait till next year to get it.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 21, 2019, 05:55 AM »
Throw those blades in the trash and buy 2 sets of Swedish blades.  You will be much happier with your results.  When 1 pair gets dull, ship them off to be sharpened and you still have another pair to keep you fishing.  My local shop gets my blades sharper than they come new, imo, so it might be easier to do that.  But as others have said, the cheep Chinese blades that you have now, is your problem.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 21, 2019, 06:16 AM »
I bought some blades to take the place of my original Mora's that had drilled a ton of holes in the dirty sandy ice of Silver Lake that is adjacent to the Silver Lake sand dunes in Western Michigan. Sand is constantly getting blown onto the ice. I kept them useable by hand sharpening them.

After moving away from their I decided to buy a new set of blades. I think the new blades were from Eskimo that were nothing but Chinese  junk. They had chips in them after only a few trips on clean ice. I sent the original blades to a place in Michigan and had them back in just a few days. They cut  just like they did when I bought the auger back in the 80's.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #19 on: Mar 21, 2019, 06:53 PM »
When I bought my 8" mora I was upset to see Chinese blades on it and I just called strikemaster and they sent me swedish replacements no problem

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.