Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: water on the ice  (Read 1972 times)

buzzdpm

water on the ice
« on: Feb 10, 2004, 09:06 PM »
Got in a discussion for the reason behind all the water/slush on the ice recently. I argued that it was the weight of the snow forcing the ice to create increased pressure on the water below, thus pushing it up cracks, holes, etc.  My buddy argued it was melt from the snow.  I think it has been to cold for that theory.  Anyone care to join in the discussion??

rksportsmed7

Re: water on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2004, 10:25 PM »
I think it's the pressure the snow puts on the ice.  The lake becomes concave due to the weight of snow, melting snow, and slush so the water has to go somewhere.  Or you could look at it as water displacement.  Now those are just my theries and I could be wrong.  But If anyone knows the real reason....let's hear it!

Jigginrap

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2004, 11:49 PM »
Yes your right I've been ice fishing for many years and its all that waight on the ice its pretty common to see that in minnesota when all you got is 10 to 15'' of ice

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2004, 08:31 AM »
Yes, the water coming up through the holes in the ice theory is true.  A little spooky if you have never been around it before and I can tell you I was a bit worried the first couple of times I experienced it....of course that was many moons ago, but still remember it well.  Now sometimes there will be water on the ice due to melt, but this recent stuff isnt that.

goody
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

iceman480

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2004, 05:58 PM »
Its the weight of the snow. if you watch around the edges the ice isnt wet but the farther from shore the more water there is.

raleigh

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2004, 11:01 PM »
I find when it gets slushey, if it is cold enough just throw snow on top of the slush and it will turn into solid ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.