Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice and the current temps ...  (Read 1866 times)

Offline badgercreekfreek

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take a kid fishing!
Ice and the current temps ...
« on: Dec 28, 2004, 04:25 PM »
I'm curious to hear what people have to say about how long the ice will hold out given our near 50 degree temps today through Saturday.  Will the ice hold out that long on smaller ponds and lakes in central Iowa?  I looked on weather.com and found that the highs and lows:

Tonight: low around 27
Wed: High around 46 and low around 39
Thu: High around 55 and low around 34
Fri: High around 46 and low around 30
Sat: High around 48 and low around 34

Those kind of temps for 5 days straight has me a little concerned and I'm wondering if there will be enough ice the end of the week to even be out.  I don't like getting wet!  ;)

Offline davegenzjr

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice and the current temps ...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2004, 04:32 PM »
It is smart to be concerned, luckily it looks like next week is going to be pretty cold.

Lots of winter left, don't take the chance.

Offline icedbunz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2004, 07:41 PM »
  We feel the same way so we are going north. We found 5-6" of good ice on Brushy but could not find any fish. Still had a good time.

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2004, 09:31 PM »
My thoughts....that rain will hurt a thousand times more than the heat. Ice will keep solid longer than some think under warmer temps, but that rain will erode it from the top down turning any honeycombs into brittle crap. Right now things are still fine, but rain will be bad.....VERY BAD here in cental Iowa.

With the ice I have seen recently, the only thing that worries me about ice fishing on a day like today (50degrees and sunny) is getting a burn....that sun comes off the ice just like water!

.....Also, I look at those overnight temps. High 20's and low 30's for the most part. That will refreeze any slight thawing done during the day. As long as they stay low we are fine. Also, dont like to see that wind....any open water that might come up will shred the ice with the wind. Just pray for no rain you iceheads......

goody
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

iceman480

« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2004, 11:23 PM »
The temps aint good but the north part of the state is supposed to get rain Thursday that will kill the ice I fish Brushy and if we get rain it will open up Quick

Offline Iowa ice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If the bobbers under set the hook.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2004, 09:06 AM »
The temps. won't hurt it much, but if we get any rain the ice will be gone quicker 'an snot on a cold day
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "............Holy crap.............what a ride!"

iceman480

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2004, 01:45 PM »
Heading to Brushy right now the current temp is 27 I'll post when I get home tonight.

CSP88

« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2004, 07:48 PM »
Iceman, how did you do at Brushy?  I'm thinking of going there Friday.

iceman480

« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2004, 12:13 AM »
Caught Afew nice Crappies Some nice gills and aWalleye 20inches Around the north boat ramp. Fished tonight till11:30pm caught nothing marked alot of fish just couldn't get em to bite.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2004, 01:12 PM »
52 degrees and rain here!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and 17mph winds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.