Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: first ice  (Read 2107 times)

Offline ice-aholic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
first ice
« on: Dec 15, 2004, 02:54 PM »
went out last night, 2 inches of beautiful ice!!! only caught one gill but it was just great to finally be ot.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: first ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2004, 03:15 PM »
Gonna give her a whirl tommorow for some largemouth got 3 1/2 inches on a local pond should have at least 4 by tommorow morning...  I only weigh 150 so im not to worried...... ;)

haftafish

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2004, 03:37 PM »
I found a place that had 4-5 inches of good ice...i got three crappies, 10-11 inches.  ice to turn the auger more than twice!!!  Felt good to be out. 

Offline Spud_bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Poppin' Swedish Pimples since '96
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2004, 03:50 PM »
has anyone checked out the ice conditions in dickinson county?
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Offline mzellner

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Zeeman1
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2004, 09:08 AM »
 ;D ;D ;DGuys it's great ice is on.  We got about 2 inches here at points and the temp is going low.  Beautiful ice by the end of the weekend just in time for the holiday. Loving every minute of the cold.  Suppose we are a bit different than other people.??????

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2004, 02:00 PM »
5-6 inches and building on Clear Lake in Cerro Gordo county.  Some folks fishing around Ventura Channel and Farmers Beach area.

Dante83R

« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2004, 09:32 PM »
      Six inches of ice on Little Wall Lake and the cats were hittin good on sunday.  Great to be out once again

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2004, 08:14 AM »
....and  the TINY crappie were biting on Little Wall monday morning.....that 6" of good solid ice was there though!  That makes me happy :)

goody
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

Offline badgercreekfreek

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take a kid fishing!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2004, 07:54 PM »
I drove past Little Wall on Sunday and was shocked to see people out fishing.  I grew up there and haven't been back to fish since the lake became so low.  We've camped there three or four times over the summer, but didn't fish.  Where's the best spots now that it's been dredged?

Story City Point used to have a stakebed for holding/protecting panfish from larger predators, but I don't know any of the structure that was added/removed/modified during the dredging process.

The east side has a point that used to be good too, but I'm guessing a lot of the best spots have moved.

Hopefully the cold weather continues to put more ice on in Southern IA so we can get to fishing down this way too.  I need to cruise past Badger Creek sometime this week.

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2004, 10:51 PM »
Badger is supposed to have 3-4" on it.....close to my parents so I plan to check it this weekend as well.  Plan to run up to clear or cornelia early thursday morning until about 2p or so.

goody
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2004, 10:50 AM »
You'll be driving out by Christmas with this weather we are having.....Or wait at least I will..... 8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.