Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Big Spirit Early Ice  (Read 1839 times)

Offline Spud_bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Poppin' Swedish Pimples since '96
Big Spirit Early Ice
« on: Nov 23, 2004, 10:23 AM »
Hey, I'm new to iceshanty.com and and looking forward to relaying the hot spots in southern mn and the iowa great lakes via this forum. I realize that the ice conditions for Big spirit are a little tough right now as there is none and it will probably be some time before there is however, does anyone know of annual hot spots on big spirit where the ice may form the fastest where I could pick up some perch or wallies? also which other smaller lakes in the area are worth fishing early? Is it too soon to ask when the great walleye weekend will be held next year?  ::)
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

deadduk

Re: Big Spirit Early Ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2004, 01:18 PM »
Spud_Bar--I would try around the Marble Beach area for Perch.  Other than that keep an eye out for other huts.

Offline Spud_bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Poppin' Swedish Pimples since '96
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2004, 04:09 PM »
just straight out from the landing? I seem to recall having some luck up by buffalo run. are you from the area?
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2004, 03:49 PM »
Anglers bay on spirit typically freezes over first and gets hit the most first.  Lots of fish taken from there on early ice.  Plan to hit it as soon as I can this year with some folks I know up that way. 

goody
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2004, 06:02 AM »
You`ll see folks fishing Anglers Bay once theres about 2" of ice. It stays good on Anglers all winter but the bite definitely slows down. First Ice is hot there for crappies gills and perch. Perch pop is down right now. Heavy harvest and a lot of baby walleyes to escape from. Silver Lake Lake park is another to try. Its kind of a strange lake but so many walleye and crappie that something has to bite. And remember, they have to eat sometime.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Frabil3

« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2004, 05:11 PM »
The great walleye weekend or opening walleye weekend is always the 1st Saturday in May.

iceman480

« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2004, 11:20 AM »
Has anyone heard about the walleyes they hittng and if so what have you heard they are biting on plan on going up this weekend

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.