The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: A dusting on windshields . . .  (Read 729 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
A dusting on windshields . . .
« on: Nov 08, 2019, 07:17 AM »
of the cars in the "lower elevations" where I live, while the surrounding mountain peaks are actually snow-capped.

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: A dusting on windshields . . .
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2019, 11:03 AM »
Encouraged by yesterday's harbinger of things to come, I took a drive up to the Savoy State Forest this morning to check on Burnett's Pond.

There was an inch of snow on the shore and a thin coating of ice on the pond itself.

I managed to sidle out onto the ice about a foot from shore (where the water is about a foot deep) with my spud, and chopped out a hole about another foot in front of me.

I stuck my finger through the hole in the ice and determined it was about an inch thick.

Fingers crossed that the cold weather remains, and that figure will have quadrupled by Thanksgiving.

Offline manitron2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2019, 11:14 AM »
The pond side of Onota causeway was iced over last night and still was at 11:30 this morning
Get off the fence and protect your rights!

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2019, 12:14 PM »
getting there ;D

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2019, 01:01 PM »
Despite the ominous rise in temperatures where I live (to about 45 degrees), I headed back up the mountain to check out Burnett's Pond again, and was encouraged by what I saw.

Although there was less snow along the side of the road on the drive up, the snowcover "held on" better the further uphill I went - - and the amount immediately adjacent to the pond seemed almost as thick as yesterday, with temps about 5 degrees cooler down in the valley, and a noticeably stiffer breeze that made it seem even colder.

Also promising was the ice on the pond itself.  The hole I chopped yesterday was frozen over, so I had to chop it out again, and it appeared to still be about an inch thick.   Moreover, the ice further out seemed to be even thicker - - with the only discordant note being a faint sheen of water blowing across the top.

I drove back down the mountain and fiished a brook trout stream at the Greylock Glen that usually produces, but this time without success.  (Although I did manage to reel in a 1" x 2" rock, which is only the fourth or fifth time I can recall doing that in nearly five decades of fishing).

As I walked back to check out the Gazebo Pond, I saw a great blue heron walk (well, really more hop) across the road and perch on a guardrail until (as I approached) it flew downstream away from the road.

The Gazebo Pond was ice free, but one of the smaller ponds next to it had skim ice across it.

I drove to a private pond in the hope of catching some stocked brookies to make up for the wild ones that I was unable to entice at the Glen, but was foiled again because there was a skim of ice covering it.  Not enough to walk on, but too much to actually get my bait in the water.

On the plus side, I did see a mink at the upper end of the  private pond - - which is only the second time I can recall seeing one in the wild.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.