Author Topic: SLOUGH  (Read 8631 times)

Offline STUMPY

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
SLOUGH
« on: Feb 03, 2019, 10:34 AM »
Hit the slough yesterday did a lot of hole hoping but we ended up with a nice mess of gills. :)

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: SLOUGH
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2019, 10:42 AM »
Hit the slough yesterday did a lot of hole hoping but we ended up with a nice mess of gills. :)
WTG, How is the ice holding up? Snow???

Offline STUMPY

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2019, 10:50 AM »
It should be very wet and sloppy by today,but go for it. ;D

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2019, 11:58 AM »
It should be very wet and sloppy by today,but go for it. ;D
Maybe mid week after it refreezes.

Offline Den58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2019, 12:35 PM »
Front or back?

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2019, 07:50 PM »
Alot of water on top today. Wind layed down and the water began to seep in. Still water on top during the walk off, but not near as much as when arrived at 9 a.m.

Ice was in good condition coming off, no worries for myself.

The roads are getting the worst of it getting back to the access points.
Got one goin'!

Offline minnowkeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:02 AM »
Fished the front yesterday, not to wet in the morning but much wetter on top later in the day. Many gills from 2 to 7" and only a few over the 7" mark. The quality isn't anything like it was a couple years ago. The bass are doing well and it seems like more redear then normal. Looks like another short ice season. Time to start thinking about spring.
Leave nothing behind but your footprints

Offline Iceman4521

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2019, 12:37 PM »
Anyone think the freezing temps Thursday night and Friday/ Friday night will save any ice for the slough for the weekend? I was there this past weekend and was on 8-9” of ice
Andrew

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:41 PM »
These warm temps are not helping, but the real killer is the rain they're calling for rain here again Wednesday with a high of 40. And again Thursday with a high of 50!it would be my guess that there will still be ice there but the guys may be walking boards to get out. The high is 18 for Friday and below freezing temps for the weekend hard to tell what is going to happen I would imagine somebody is going to try it this weekend

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:53 PM »
Just heard a page for a rescue off of filbert lane. Hopefully everyone is ok. Be safe people.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:36 PM »
Just got chills ! Hope everyone is ok too !

Offline Iceman4521

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:52 PM »
The guy went through walking through the weeds, he made it out and is doing okay. But the fire department and CO deemed the ice unsafe and shut the lake down to ice fishing for now.
Andrew

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2019, 05:47 AM »
The guy went through walking through the weeds, he made it out and is doing okay. But the fire department and CO deemed the ice unsafe and shut the lake down to ice fishing for now.
Glad he's ok but shutting down the lake is the wrong call. I would think that would make people think if it's open, then it is "safe" ice.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline hookitNcookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2019, 11:11 AM »
I just called they said the front is open for fishing and people on it right now. Slough isnt that scary as long as you stay away from the channels. Most of it you would only fall in to your hips. So that bein said im on my way haha. And for all you safety crazy people that remind everyone how dangerous ice fishing is....I Know!! Im not an idiot thanks
"It aint how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward."

Offline denhar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:03 AM »
Fished last night. ice was good solid. If they closed every lake when someone broke through we would have a very short season. Always use a spud. Use caution in the reeds .

Offline BandSearcher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:28 AM »
Did you do any good?

Offline denhar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2019, 06:58 AM »

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:10 AM »
And for all you safety crazy people that remind everyone how dangerous ice fishing is....I Know!! Im not an idiot thanks
Ligthten up Francis!
Most of us like to refresh peoples memories about the dangers of ice fishing because we don't like to read or hear about tradegy. With that said, since you're so offended by all of us preaching safety...just ignore whomever seems to sound concerned. Afterall, we're just crazy.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:38 AM »
Well put Jigmup! Only takes one mistake on these conditions and it could be your last. As old as I am I still value my life way more than a damn fish! Ultimately it's your call good luck, I'm waiting for cold forecasted for tonight and tomorrow. Be safe! Hex

Offline hookitNcookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:31 AM »
My names not Francis and I dont wear a toupee!
"It aint how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward."

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:42 AM »
Well put Jigmup! Only takes one mistake on these conditions and it could be your last.............

Agree 100%. I'm 64, ice fished 50+ yrs and knock on wood, only ever got my boots wet from bad edge ice.

Most in here are experienced veterans and if some post seem repetitious/boring/useless/etc. about condition warning you have to think about this.

Newbe icefisherman are not as experienced in ice safety and they do come in here. If they are not constantly warned they may end up dead. To me its worth all the repetitious warnings if it saves one life.

To all newbe's who read this. I suggest wearing a life vest, get ice picks, and a spud bar. I wore mine all last weekend and I could care less if it may look funny, if I fall thru I'm gona float. It also helps insulate you keeping you warmer in cold weather.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:57 AM »
I'm really thankful for my Striker suit.  I don't run around like an idiot just because I have it but its good to know it should keep my head dry and make it a lot easier to get back topside if for some reason I go through.  They are a little pricey but your life is worth more.  Spud bars are cheap and everyone should have and use one.

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2019, 10:31 AM »
X2, what Roeboat said! Hex 

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:38 AM »
Good stuff guys.
When I went in I kept my head from going under the water. Probably another thing that saved my life!
How many of you have a bag in your vehicle with a couple of big towels, underware, T shirt, sweat shirt, pair of soft pants or jeans, stocking cap, couple pairs of warm socks, extra gloves, boots or gym shoes, a blanket or two????
I'm sure some think this is silly but I carry it all winter long! You never know when you might come up on an accident on the road? Could be a life saver!!!
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2019, 09:48 AM »
Good idea there Teach! May just throw together a survival bag and keep it in the car or truck, just in case. Hex

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2019, 03:02 PM »
Anyone going today or tomorrow. Like to know if the ice is 5 inches up front? Like to go later this week for the first time this year before it is all gone.

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2019, 03:18 PM »
Get away from the computer and c
Go for a drive al bundy

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 09, 2019, 04:12 PM »
Get away from the computer and c
Go for a drive al bundy
Thanks soooo much 4 all ur help. I DO APPRECIATE IT. What size shoe do you wear???? LMAO

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 09, 2019, 04:22 PM »
Anytime anytime  ;D and I wear and a 11

Offline Iceman4521

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 09, 2019, 11:28 PM »
Drove by today about 4pm and saw like 6 shanties on the front of the lake and could see some out In the back too. Didn’t venture out myself to check ice
Andrew

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.