Author Topic: Lead Free Jigs  (Read 1828 times)

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lead Free Jigs
« on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:55 AM »
Hey guys I like to fish the CT river set backs and im having to sort out my tackle for VT and NH to comply with the new Lead Free laws in NH. Im currious if any one knows if my Lindy Frostee spoons, rattlin fliers, northland buckshots, and rapala jiggin raps are allowed in NH now.

Offline MFallon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lead Free Jigs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:11 AM »
"Spoons" are still supposedly legal. I've heard the difference is a free swinging hook vs molded in hook like a jig/jighead. I think it will come down to the officer enforcing it though.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Lead Free Jigs Idea
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:28 AM »
I just had an idea. This has been a very hot topic this season. Every one has questions about it. This is the first ice season that will be put to the test. Hopefully our questions / experiences on the ice will make it clearer. Hopefully nobody gets busted due to misunderstanding the law. Perhaps if anyone is un lucky enough to be questioned / or maybe even fined...... Perhaps we can share our real experience as it happens. I'm betting by all the questions someone is bound to find out the hard way. I mean has anyone even been approached as of yet this season and asked about lead tackle by any wardens etc...... has anyone had any interaction with wardens this season on this very topic? Just wondering.
Salmonemia

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
Re: Lead Free Jigs Idea
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:44 AM »
I"m guessing NH is all lead free lures/flies/jigs for fishing now - I haven't read the regs because I do not usually fish in NH but that is changing.

WRT the wardens and inspection of gear, I'll suggest a method that has worked for waterfowl hunters:

Waterfowl requires non-toxic shot, there are several options with steel being the most prevalent.  Wardens carry a magnet to check your shells.  If the shell is labeled Tungsten, Bismuith, etc the warden has discretion if he wants to open a shell and verify materials - you pretty much have to either earn this level of scrutiny or the warden might be named "Richard".  Either way, you've got no choice but to surrender a shell.

Here's the thing, those fancy loads are about $3-5 each so getting reimbursed from the state for destroying your property is real and there is precedent.  The hunter and warden decide on what's a fair reimbursement, usually $5 and the warden takes the shell, tests it and ends you a check - unless you've reloaded lead into a hull and are guilty.  Then it gets what we waterfowl guys call Bad.

So understand the replacement cost of the item = the cost of the item + S&H + mental anguish and so on.  How much would you pay for the hot jig of the day?

Know the law, know your gear, be safe
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline MikeSJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:59 PM »
Here's a novel idea.  How about writing the regs in common everyday English instead of having attorneys who are using terms and language inspired by "Black's Law Dictionary" write them in such a way that they "Gotcha" no matter what.  After years of complaints from fisherman, Oregon finally started doing this with regards to Steelhead/Salmon regs.  C'mon NH, you can do better than this ::)  I just got my first NH license and couldn't believe some of the stuff I was reading in the Digest ???

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:12 PM »
I completely agree with this. Make a sticky post or something. I don't feel like it's all that confusing really. I THINk I have my head around it completely and am not really concerned about being in non-conformation due to 'error', mis information, whatever. But I definitely do want to see, hear, know, how/when/where it's going to enforced. It's all about that really.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:36 PM »
But I definitely do want to see, hear, know, how/when/where it's going to enforced. It's all about that really.

that's what I was getting at basically. It will be interesting to hear about real world situations specific to NH.
Salmonemia

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:46 PM »
that's what I was getting at basically. It will be interesting to hear about real world situations specific to NH.
agreed. Only way to 'know',

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2017, 02:19 PM »
 Mass has had the ban for a few years now... I've got dozens of various sized lead jigs that are now banned everywhere I fish... lucky for me.. my favorite jig is the pimple.. and I own LOTS of them... I do believe the hali's are lead... not sure about the PK's... something no one has mentioned is our lead depth sounders.. I need to see if mine weigh more than an ounce... or I'll be using a stainless bolt with a alligator clip crimped on...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline MikeSJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2017, 02:22 PM »
Here's a novel idea.  How about writing the regs in common everyday English instead of having attorneys who are using terms and language inspired by "Black's Law Dictionary" write them in such a way that they "Gotcha" no matter what.  After years of complaints from fisherman, Oregon finally started doing this with regards to Steelhead/Salmon regs.  C'mon NH, you can do better than this ::)  I just got my first NH license and couldn't believe some of the stuff I was reading in the Digest ???

I apologize for being off topic and frustrated ::) :'(

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2017, 03:10 PM »
Mass has had the ban for a few years now... I've got dozens of various sized lead jigs that are now banned everywhere I fish... lucky for me.. my favorite jig is the pimple.. and I own LOTS of them... I do believe the hali's are lead... not sure about the PK's... something no one has mentioned is our lead depth sounders.. I need to see if mine weigh more than an ounce... or I'll be using a stainless bolt with a alligator clip crimped on...

Sounders are excluded from the law, as are spoons.

RSA 211:13-b Lead Fishing Sinkers and Jigs; Use Prohibited.

Section IV:

Lead sinkers and lead jigs shall not include lead fishing related items including but not limited to lead core line, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, spoons, poppers, plugs, or flies.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2017, 03:53 PM »
Personally I don't find the law hard to interpret... I simply printed out this pdf... http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/documents/illegal-jig-examples.pdf 
This is what the state has given us for a guide line as to the definition of a "jig". I keep a copy in the Bayrunner. If I bump into a CO that is unsure of what constitutes a "jig" I can remind him with this picture. My personal opinion is that this law will not be enforced unless blatantly broken... sorta like jay-walking, you gotta really try to get a ticket for that.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2017, 04:01 PM »
I think that link stealth provided is what they will use. I know I went up to AJs last weekend for smelt, and I asked him about the lead law. He said he had a CO in a few weeks ago, and wanted to confirm what tackle he had for sale would be legal/illegal. The CO went out to his truck bought in his chart, and AJ gave him a few jigs to see if they passed. If it was on his chart it was a no go, but if it wasn't on the fart it was fine....

Allan was pretty perplexed by it all, but I think stealth is right in comparing it to jay walking. Time will tell

Offline salmotrutta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:57 PM »
Rapala jigging raps and jigging shad raps are zinc weighted.Should be good on those.

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:32 PM »
OK thanks guys I think i have a handle on it now, The spoons a raps are ok, but the frostee's are out. Not a biggie will just go to the tungsten jigs if i need a small presentation. I printed out the chart and put in my binder with all my other regs and depth charts. Think ill make another tackle bag up just for NH waters.  :tipup:

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:50 PM »
I'm more curious about the weight side of the reg. As in, over one ounce. If it comes to actually putting them on a scale, that scale better be properly sensitive and calibrated.... one ounce is one ounce. Ounce and a couple 16ths is not "one ounce or less."

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:50 PM »
Thanks for the link - lead core line also removed from the list - talk about a witch hunt on materials.  Once those power boaters on Winnie start getting their props wrapped in wire we'll see another ban...
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline dbickom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2017, 06:06 AM »
I wish they would do something about stores selling lead jigs.  I bought some Crappie Magnets to replace some some of the same in my box.  I was assured by the store they were not lead.  The manufacturer does carry a non-lead version.  I'll save the ones I bought to use in NY but found out once I got them home they are also lead - heated one up in my lead melter to be sure...glad I did. 
Good things come to those who Bait!

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:29 AM »
My jigs are mixed up and we can't use lead in Ma. I sent a email in to a EPO officer asking what they use when on the ice to determine what is lead. he said there is no way for sure for them to know or tell! I was hoping there was a real easy way to tell, like a scanner, tester, etc.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline fullerbn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2017, 12:08 PM »
Rapala jigging raps and jigging shad raps are zinc weighted.Should be good on those.

Just so everyone knows i e mailed rapala and they said there jigging raps are made of lead

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2017, 12:31 PM »
Just so everyone knows i e mailed rapala and they said there jigging raps are made of lead

Still legit though... they are not "jigs"
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline salmotrutta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2017, 06:02 PM »
Under the no lead law it's also illegal to sell lead jigs or sinkers under an ounce.Every sporting store i go into sells Jiggin Raps.I use them and will continue.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.