Author Topic: salmon opener  (Read 1839 times)

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
salmon opener
« on: Mar 13, 2013, 11:55 AM »
anyone going to be going out i may take the kayak or pound the shore lines it is a Monday this yr and i made sure to take it off from work
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: salmon opener
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2013, 11:59 AM »
You are assuming you will have navigable water to do that from :-)

I know I cant commit to being out on the water UNLESS ice is out on the lake with a boat my sized. Im hoping Newfound will be ice free by then, but who knows??

Get R done kid!!!

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2013, 12:01 PM »
thats the nice thing about where i fish from shore ;-) plus i figure if any ice is out my yak will be money haha

Offline NH_RED

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2013, 02:20 PM »
A quick look at the extended forecast looks like it may be a slow melt. Still below freezing at night with several chances of winter weather. The usual river and dock areas might be the ticket!

I'm hoping not! new rods and lures just itching to be dragged!

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2013, 02:54 PM »
I'm going to try.....I will definitely be out first weekend 4/6-4/7 worst case  ;D  I troll with fly rods and they keep looking at me!  It won't be long now!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2013, 03:40 PM »
I'm not a salmon guy so I will be chasing smallies this weekend on the Contoocook river. Bring on spring!!
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2013, 06:07 PM »
Not worth taking a day off of work for...fishing will only get better through the month.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2013, 06:14 PM »
Not worth taking a day off of work for...fishing will only get better through the month.

You have that right!  Never seem to have much luck until it warms up a bit.
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2013, 07:37 PM »
I'm not a salmon guy so I will be chasing smallies this weekend on the Contoocook river. Bring on spring!!
you have boatable water out your way...keep me posted
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2013, 06:11 AM »
you have boatable water out your way...keep me posted
No boatable water yet.... a canoe is going to be the transportation this weekend.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2013, 06:35 AM »
i juslike the fact there wont be many crowds if i do go and i can fish where i want with out a buncha snaggers around haha

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2013, 06:38 AM »
now you guys got me wheels spinning and remembering last yr on the opener and there wasnt that many salmon being caught hmmm now i have a decision to make mayvbe take the following monday off??? I guess it all depends on how the next couple weeks play out

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2013, 07:22 AM »
I'm taking the day off, there are plenty of shoreline spots to fish. i'll bring my waders and fling streamers at em . sometimes it's great, sometimes not

Offline nhdeadhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2013, 09:17 AM »
I'll be out tossing flies around if anyone wants to get together and fish shoot me a pm.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2013, 09:19 AM »
do you use sinking fly line or floating that early? i just started really fly fishing last yr other than the "chuck n duck" style in NY for steelies

Offline nhdeadhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2013, 09:40 AM »
For casting  into the lake I switch between a floating and intermediate  sinking tip fishing 1-3' below the surface.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2013, 09:43 AM »
nice i used sinking line in the summer (for obvious reasons) and nymphs mostly or dragged streamers outta the yak

Offline JRFlatlander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2013, 11:14 AM »
Cant wait but still some good ice fishing left  to be done :icefish:

This is my winter project.  I went a little crazy, I  need to put the rings and hooks on now. All hand cut,filed,drilled from copper scraps .
[

Mama Says happiness is from magic rays of sunshine that come down when you're feeling blue.......

Offline Rob M

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2013, 11:36 AM »
That is an impressive collection you got going on!

Offline Fishsavage

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The phrase "Last cast" means "Not leaving"
« Reply #19 on: Mar 14, 2013, 11:37 AM »
I'll take the purple, pink, the greenish one, ah hell I'll take them all.  ;D  very nice, those styles are what I like to troll with during the open water.

no such thing as going crazy- can never have enough!

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 14, 2013, 12:00 PM »
JR those are sweeeeeeeetttt i need to start stocking up myself

Offline sgthoskins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 14, 2013, 12:11 PM »
Very nice JR!
“The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government”

www.northeastshooters. com

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 14, 2013, 02:14 PM »
What would you guys suggest, a 14ft v hull or a pair of kayaks for me and a buddy?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 14, 2013, 02:20 PM »
For what? What do you plan on using them for?

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 14, 2013, 02:25 PM »
For what? What do you plan on using them for?

Im guessing salmon fishing...

hd:  if you are just poking around the docks andinshore/bays/coves open water early season, I think either would be fine... once the lake opens up, both would be sketchy when a good spring wind whips up.  And remember - the water is going to be COLD!!!  Have all appropriate safety gear and wear a PFD.

Ive never salmon fished, but a few years ago on some thread/forum some guy hammered some wicked nice salmon not far from shore in a kayak....

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 14, 2013, 02:28 PM »
I mostly bass fish but would consider driving up for salmon and trout because ill have my liscence soon
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 14, 2013, 03:00 PM »
do you use sinking fly line or floating that early? i just started really fly fishing last yr other than the "chuck n duck" style in NY for steelies
usually sink tip is best, use a 4x tippet

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 14, 2013, 03:07 PM »
What would you guys suggest, a 14ft v hull or a pair of kayaks for me and a buddy?

A pair of Kayaks can easily be strapped to the roof of just about any car... A small v-hull would likely need a trailer or at the least a pick up, just something to keep in mind.
If you for the most part are targeting bass with just the occasional deep water/big lake salmon trip then I would look to a 14-16 foot John boat... I've got a Tracker 16 foot John for the real skinny water trips, if I flip up the out board I can pole/ore it along in just 3 inches of water.
Lots and lots of things to consider when deciding on a floating toy

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 14, 2013, 03:13 PM »
I have an 04 gmc Sierra to haul around a trailer or throw something in the back. How did you like your Jon boat? I've never been in one only a 14 ft v hull and my old tracker v17

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #29 on: Mar 14, 2013, 03:19 PM »
I have an 04 gmc Sierra to haul around a trailer or throw something in the back. How did you like your Jon boat? I've never been in one only a 14 ft v hull and my old tracker v17
i would start with a Jon boat with a trolling motor
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.