Author Topic: pick up truck on hoit marsh  (Read 1839 times)

Offline loudonfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • don't have to ge crazy to ice fish/ but it helps
pick up truck on hoit marsh
« on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:42 PM »
 :-\ saw a full size p/u truck on the ice today. two guys fishing next to it about 50 yds of shore. not too bright. i know it's been cold but that's just not thinking too straight

surflizard

Re: pick up truck on hoit marsh
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:57 PM »
Some folks just don't have the brains God gave a Rock !!

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2012, 06:56 PM »
i would not go to that extreme, not even a hot action packed spot like that. LF, welcome back home

Offline whtmtniceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mora... Hold her tight and DRILL HARD!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2012, 07:00 PM »
Well... 50 yds is a long way to walk  ::)

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2012, 07:39 PM »
Well... 50 yds is a long way to walk  ::)

Hey, hey, let's be fair... how you gonna hear the radio with the truck 50 yards away?
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:43 PM »
Best quote ever----Can't fix stupid
Jig em up!

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:06 PM »
Hey, hey, let's be fair... how you gonna hear the radio with the truck 50 yards away?

I'd back the truck to the edge and open the door and turn the sterio up loud.......LOL

Oddfish
stick around something odd will come out soon.

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:08 PM »
Have you or anyone else been there?
We loose fisherman every year. That is a fact, but to keep reprimanding those that go out on thin ice or what you may think is thin ice, and then commend those that catch big trout..I mean common fellas..many others read these posts..

I deal with the local police every year.."is that ice safe?"

"well,  I don't know is it? venture yourself out here and we will see. Ya think I am going to risk my kid's life??'

We are all fisherman and many read these posts, so bash and feed those that do not know better?? Other than that if it really means that much, make some legislation, add it too no lead..." no one on the ice until some fat cat comes to measure your ice thickness, that being 24" of ice before doing anything."
Get a solid grip fellas..you are or once were young, but smart too

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:27 PM »
Oh and yes, I too have lost a few friends to ignorance. Hell I even jigged up a corpse on Lake St Francais.

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2012, 06:27 AM »
Have you or anyone else been there?
We loose fisherman every year. That is a fact, but to keep reprimanding those that go out on thin ice or what you may think is thin ice, and then commend those that catch big trout..I mean common fellas..many others read these posts..

I deal with the local police every year.."is that ice safe?"

"well,  I don't know is it? venture yourself out here and we will see. Ya think I am going to risk my kid's life??'

We are all fisherman and many read these posts, so bash and feed those that do not know better?? Other than that if it really means that much, make some legislation, add it too no lead..." no one on the ice until some fat cat comes to measure your ice thickness, that being 24" of ice before doing anything."
Get a solid grip fellas..you are or once were young, but smart too

What??!!! 
Jig em up!

surflizard

« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2012, 06:43 AM »
  Didn't a truck go thru at BIP last year, someone posted that they hit a spring there or something to that effect ?
We have over a dozen reported drownings here this season already on IS and better then 75% of them have resulted from vehicles driving on thin ice ! If all this Harping prevents just one person from making the the Idiotic choice of driving a vehicle on thin ice then it is worth it in my Book !

Offline whtmtniceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mora... Hold her tight and DRILL HARD!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2012, 07:00 AM »
I never drive anything larger than a 4wheeler or snowmachine on the ice, no matter the thickness or distance it takes to get to the spot. thats my rule.

If someone is dumb enough to drive a vehicle on thin ice, then maybe they will be atleast smart enought to stop by their chevy dealer and get an underwater package installed  ::)

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2012, 07:45 AM »
I have been driving on the ice for 15+ years now, never had a problem. I dont go on unless 14", maybe 12" depending on lake. 14" or more I have no problem driving on. YOU MUST know the lake, know ice thickness. If you are not sure, drill holes before you drive, make a road of holes to test ice thickness. Also when you have loads on ice for a long time, you want to make sure ice is not saging.

There are safe ways of driving on ice, not everyone is an idiot or moron because they do so. Be smart and you should hopefully never have a problem. People fall thru because they dont check ice, they assume ice is good, they drive to fast, go near airators, go on joy rides half drunk, make there own new roads on the ice. With that comes more risk so more accidents.

I know I know..just another idiot ice driving talking on IS...my 2 cents
The outdoors, a real mans playground!!!

Offline dbritt0482

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Are you a bad fish too?
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2012, 12:17 PM »
  Didn't a truck go thru at BIP last year, someone posted that they hit a spring there or something to that effect ?
We have over a dozen reported drownings here this season already on IS and better then 75% of them have resulted from vehicles driving on thin ice ! If all this Harping prevents just one person from making the the Idiotic choice of driving a vehicle on thin ice then it is worth it in my Book !
True that!!! lifes too short to be taking stupid risks like that. ;)
It's Frickin freezing in here mr. bigglesworth!!

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2012, 06:09 PM »
guess what , i saw a truck on turtletown today too, spoke to a guy comin off , he said they got 8" of ice and they where doin doughnuts 50 feet away from him. i hate drivin on the ice, a machine fine but not a vehicle. in can walk

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2012, 06:33 PM »
I don't ever drive on the ice cause my wife says not too.

I'm scared of her.......

JIGGIN.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2012, 07:24 PM »
I don't ever drive on the ice cause my wife says not too.

I'm scared of her.......

JIGGIN.
x2!!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2012, 07:44 PM »
I know I can take her during the day time....but I gotta sleep sometime she says.

JIGGIN.

Offline MikeF-NH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2012, 06:41 AM »
If you want a dispassionate third party opinion about the risks of driving on ice, go ask your insurance agent if they will cover you if your vehicle goes through the ice....better yet is their ANY way you can get ANY coverage if driving on ice. Insurance companies are all about risk aversion. If they think they can make money off of it, they will insure it.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2012, 07:01 AM »
I know I can take her during the day time....but I gotta sleep sometime she says.

JIGGIN.
Dats exactly what my wife says! ;D She tells me "You better sleep on yer tummy too."

I have no need to drive the vehicle that carries all my tools and equipment which provides for my family onto the ice just to make it physically easier on myself. Have always been a fan of the Friedrich Nietzsche quote, "That which does not kill us makes us stronger.”  I use to lift and do aerobics when I was younger, need to make time to do it again, but till then , my work and my recreation are my "workouts" and the only way I stay in shape. I benefit greatly from the haul out and back , dragging my gear . Just can`t see leavin my lil hottie of a wife just yet , cuz I`m too lazy to hike a couple hundred yards , checkin the ice as I go!
Besides , she would cut em off in my sleep if I sunk the truck and managed to survive. :o Good thing I like to stay in shape! ;D

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Can't catch em from the couch.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2012, 07:09 AM »
You would never catch me drivin my truck on the ice. But if you give me the keys I will gladly take yours! ;D

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2012, 07:20 AM »
You would never catch me drivin my truck on the ice. But if you give me the keys I will gladly take yours! ;D

X2 that is exactly my motto
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

surflizard

« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2012, 07:33 AM »
There no Doubt about it, Driving on the ice is Inherently Dangerous ! With that being said, it can be done with careful planning ! I made my living for 2 years driving a skidder on Winnipesakiee when some of the islands were logged ! There was a dedicated 2 man crew who's whole responsiblity was to monitor the ice conditions constantly for the duration of the job ! These 2 men were both in their 60s at the time, life long fishermen that knew the lake like the back of their hands, even the boss knew better to dispute the decisions they made, they said Go, we went, they said No, we didn't it was that simple !
 The point I'm trying to make is that driving on ice is possible, if certain safety procedures are followed ! Trouble being that 9 times out of 10, the people who fall thru the ice with vehicles and SURVIVE, normally say the same thing, "I saw other people driving out, so I Thought it was safe" !!
  Granted it is a personal choice to drive out onto the ice, But there are some very serious consecenses connected with that decision, even if you could care less about the risk to you own life, Don't forget the risks to fellow fishermen and rescue personal that have to risk there lives to help you if you break thru !! You are Ultimately taking their lives in your hands also !!!!!

Offline sgthoskins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2012, 07:37 AM »
There no Doubt about it, Driving on the ice is Inherently Dangerous ! With that being said, it can be done with careful planning ! I made my living for 2 years driving a skidder on Winnipesakiee when some of the islands were logged ! There was a dedicated 2 man crew who's whole responsiblity was to monitor the ice conditions constantly for the duration of the job ! These 2 men were both in their 60s at the time, life long fishermen that knew the lake like the back of their hands, even the boss knew better to dispute the decisions they made, they said Go, we wewnt, they said No, we didn't it was that simple !
 The point I'm trying to make is that driving on ice is possible, if certain safety procedures are followed ! Trouble being that 9 times out of 10, the people who fall thru the ice with vehicles and SURVIVE, normally say the same thing, "I saw other people driving out, so I Thought it was safe" !!
  Granted it is a personal choice to drive out onto the ice, But there are some very serious consecenses connected with that decision, even if you could care less about the risk to you own life, Don't forget the risks to fellow fishermen and rescue personal that have to risk there lives to help you if you break thru !! You are Ultimately taking their lives in your hands also !!!!!

+1

Growing up in MN driving on the ice was how we did it.  I don't ever remember not driving on the ice.  Hell we used to have pizza delivered to the ice house. 
“The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government”

www.northeastshooters. com

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.