Author Topic: Propane heater vs cold temperature  (Read 1708 times)

Offline guifisher28

• IceShanty Rookie
Propane heater vs cold temperature
« on: Jan 21, 2019, 10:08 AM »
Hi guys,

I know this subject may have already been covered here but I need your advice on really cold weather propane heater trouble. I'm new to heating my shack for ice fishing and I'm trying to fine tune my equipment to stay warm and to have fun on ice.

I own a Martin F12S propane heater (5000 btu wire stand sunflower style heater, see below for picture). I use a 6 feet adapter to connect it on a 5 lbs propane tank. My shack is an Eskimo Quickfish 3i insulated pop tent.

Both past weekend, we had -25 Celsius and I couln'd make my heater running properly. My tank was about 3/4 full. The tank was in my pop tent on a foam mat. I made some tests back home to figure out things. When my tank and heater are inside and warm I go outside and run it right away, it works perfectly.  I know my heater works fine. But when I get on the ice and walk to the spot (1.5 km walk), my tank (even if it was inside before and wrapped in a jacket when I go out) gets cold and I can't get it to work wich is pretty frustrating. I ear some small amount of gas coming in the heater but the pressure seems really low. I manage to make it work at a really low level of heat and it stops frequently...

I read a lot of stuff on cold conditions vs propane and I understand that propane tanks don't like cold. Some people say, run your setup on a 20 lbs tank and you will be ok. Some say use a 5 lbs instead of a 1 lbs wich is what I am doing right now. I would like to have your advice according to my situation. Should I change for another heater ? Run on a 20 lbs tank ? I carry a lot of stuff and switching to a 20 lbs tank means more weight to me. If I have to do so, I may consider buying a 15000 btu flower top tank heater instead to have more heat for that weight...!

I'm the kinda guy that goes out every weekend whatever temp it is so I need a reliable setup that works in any conditions (if possible).

Thanks in advance !

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Propane heater vs cold temperature
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2019, 10:31 AM »
My 1st guess, defective heater. Why my 1st guess ? Because I had one do the same thing, I borrowed a friends Mr.Heater and the tank and hose worked fine on it.

It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline guifisher28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2019, 10:34 AM »
Ok. Strange since it seems to be working properly when it is warm.
I am interested in earing other suggestions but I keep in mind yours ! Thanks for answering :)!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2019, 02:24 AM »
I don't know the exact science formula for the dispersion of liquid to gas in an airspace volume...but

more air volume = more propane gas

higher temp means more liquid boils to gas

a 30# tank will work better than a 20# tank in the cold.

the liquid to gas boils at -44F.  colder than that it's just liquid.  The closer it get's to that temp, the less the liquid vaporizes to a gas.  something like that.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2019, 05:25 AM »
I too would be looking at the heater side of things instead of the propane. I've used a 5# tank that's sitting outside in -30 and it's been fine. When trying to light your heater are you holding down the silver button on the side that opens the gas valve, and not just turning the knob to lo, med, or high? That's part of the thermocouple assembly. You have to get enough heat coming from the heater to warm the thermocouple so that it'll then hold the gas valve open on its own. That's what that little point that sticks in near the grate is. When it's cold sometimes you have to put the lighter right on it to warm it up enough to allow the gas to flow freely. If you're unfamiliar with the operation of such a heater look at the instructions that came with it, or go online and download a pdf.

Offline Republic of Alberta

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2019, 11:21 AM »
More than likely?  Your heater is drawing harder then the 5 lbs tank can supply gas at that temperature.  Tank needs to be warmer. 

One thing that can happen is you have a lot of butane in your tank which does not vaporize as easily as propane When you buy propane you are buying automotive propane which is not pure propane.  It’s got some butane in it as well.   If you use your tank in the cold a lot and refill it a lot the % butane in the tank can build up over time.   To get rid of it run the tank completely dry. 

Another thing that happens is lube oils get in the regulators,hoses and orfices.   In the cold the lube oil stiffens up and causes regulators to stick or blocks flow because the oil is so thick the propane gas can’t push it around. 

20+ years of gas plant operating experience making 100”s of millions bbls of propane in my career, operating propane refrigeration, as well as running engines off propane bullets in northern Canada. 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2019, 11:49 AM »
No expert here, but I think I would try a different hose assembly unless yours is very new. Also when using a hose I open the tank valve very slowly several times to fill the hose with propane. The tank valve has a safety valve in it that can close part way if opened too fast. If the cold isn't letting propane vaporize fast enough, you could try an 11 lb pancake tank which has a larger surface area for propane to vaporize. Your heater should keep a 3i plenty warm.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2019, 12:12 PM »
If you have a filter on your heater take it off and see if that helps, I've had trouble with the filters not letting heater run.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2019, 01:15 PM »
Make sure the hoses are tight, if not it may not let enough gas through it.  Some else had the same problem.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.