Author Topic: Moving to a different state  (Read 1114 times)

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Moving to a different state
« on: Mar 24, 2019, 08:00 AM »
Me and my wife are thinking of moving to the Palouse. Not sure how to set up a big move like this. My wife may be the only one working depending on my surgeries and if my disability goes thru. We would be renting not able to buy a House unfortunately. Thank you for any suggestions.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

Re: Moving to a different state
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2019, 07:37 PM »
45 - A buddy of mine moved the wife and two babies from NJ to Georgia by freight carrier - check and see who services the area you would like to go to, and where you are
     leaving from, sometimes there is service to the areas, his load took up a 20 ft. trailer, loading ramp and unload service at the delivery end, $2,400.00, if my memory
     serves me right, nothing to lose right now, just phone calls, and time - If the surgeries are a 'go', good luck
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2019, 07:53 PM »
Thank you for that. Surgery number 1,  4/2 preop and 4/9 cervical spine surgery 2 discs fused.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2019, 06:04 AM »
Might not be what you want to hear but,a lot of people sell everything they can before moving and buy on the other end. I feel for you on your surgeries. I have had 2 back surgeries and wasn't happy with either one. After 19 Years I am finally better though and get around pretty good. I just can't do a lot or I pay for it for days.
<===Lefty===

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2019, 07:33 AM »
Might not be what you want to hear but,a lot of people sell everything they can before moving and buy on the other end. I feel for you on your surgeries. I have had 2 back surgeries and wasn't happy with either one. After 19 Years I am finally better though and get around pretty good. I just can't do a lot or I pay for it for days.

That’s what i’ve Heard is that you have to sell everything. Does make sense. If I do to much now I pay for it. I’m hoping the neck surgery helps. I have a constant headache and haven’t been able to sleep because of the pain in my shoulder.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline marquette

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2019, 11:50 AM »
Try looking at PODS. I have a friend in Denver that has used them twice and was pleased.  They will store your stuff until you get settled at a new place and then deliver your stuff

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2019, 12:12 PM »
X2 on the pods, lots of folks use them like if they get a new job till,they get settled. About your surgery wish you the best of luck, C-5, c-6 fused here. C-7 needs it for a few years now, and now sciatica can’t do what I used to without paying for it for days after! On hopeful note, my surgery was 18 years ago, so many advances since! I was out for ten weeks and a year later right back to square one with c-7. Again good luck!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2019, 12:22 PM »
I used PODS, albeit intrastate. Had time between apartment and closing on house. They kept my stuff at their facility until we closed, then i left it in the driveway and moved items in as we cleaned/painted the house. Very convenient.

Best of luck with your surgeries

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2019, 05:43 PM »
There are companies out there, one is called Two Men and a Truck, it's a franchise started in Des Moines.  They will tell you an hourly rate for labor and the truck before they start, can also bring 3 or 4 people to help load. 

In your post surgical state the last thing I would want to do is move.  Maybe put it off until summer/fall...

I moved 300 miles in December 2017 and fortunately my company paid for most of it.  I rented a couple mini-storage units temporarily and moved some stuff myself.  I made the mistake of reading the fine print.  It said they won't pay to move bulky non-valuable items.  I have lots of stuff so I made several trips to the area house hunting and brought a load of stuff with me each time and put it in the storage.   When the movers were here, they said they will anything and the companies never balk... 

The pods are a good idea, you can load one over time and then when full have them ship for you.  Nice to have it waiting for you in new city.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2019, 06:47 PM »
We would like to wait till fall but unfortunately we’re having landlord issues. He hasn’t given us a date.
Take a kid ice fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.