Author Topic: Smitty sled stability  (Read 2591 times)

Offline Gondolarides

• IceShanty Rookie
Smitty sled stability
« on: Mar 06, 2019, 10:27 AM »
I’m getting ready to build a smitty sled and I’m curious what the side to side stability is like on those things once they are loaded with gear.  It seems like they would have a tendency to fold over, especially the taller you go.  Anyone have any input or thoughts on this issue?

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Smitty sled stability
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2019, 10:33 AM »
Depends what materials you use.  I've broken several and the one I made this year seems the most sturdy.  Make sure whatever you put the cross braces on, usually like a 2x8, is sturdy.  Also, making notches in the 2x8 so the cross braces sit flush with the 2x8 seems to make it much more stable.  Lastly putting some type of bolt through the cross brace down into the 2x8 seems to help.  Dont let it freeze to the ice.  Thats how I've broken mine in the past but they were doomed from the start.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2019, 11:26 AM »
Last trip out my wife put a shovel under the front of the ski's to keep my sled from going down hill while I went and parked the car. I came down to get the sled and the wife was standing next to my sled which flipped on it's side because she took the shovel out and forgot to grab the rope. The whole thing was on it's side. I had the straps pretty tight and all we did was turn it back over.
<===Lefty===

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2019, 12:02 PM »
I haven't had any stability issues, but I made mine wider than a lot of guys.  I also made the cross members extra wide so my auger goes on one side and the shelter on the other side of my sled.  Keep the weight low and that will help. 
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2019, 01:08 PM »
I just mounted the skis right to bottom.The higher it is the harder to go up and down snow drifts hill and parking lot piles as well as less stable.Also easier to go thru deep snow.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2019, 01:21 PM »
 I used 4pcs 4"x 2"x 4" high aluminum Blocks mounted to the skis and up to the sled  (Medium otter)  I have not had any stability problems with the way it was built.
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2019, 01:29 PM »
Mine has been very sturdy, but it's only a touch over 36" wide and it's only used for hand pulling.  Made my risers out of 2x6's and notched them so my 36" long 1x4 cross braces sit flush.  Used 3/8" x 4" long galvanized carriage bolts as the fasteners to pin the cross braces into the risers which were drilled with 7/16" holes.  My 20' long tow rope is attached to the ski tips and I have eyebolts screwed into the outer side of each riser that I attach bungee straps to secure my load.  Has worked and held up very well.

Offline Gondolarides

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2019, 02:38 PM »
Thanks for all the input  guys I’ll keep all of this in mind,  I guess to be more specific I’m concerned that where the cross member meets the riser piece seems like a weak link.  As though the platform could hinge right there and crumple up.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2019, 03:22 PM »
I also used 4 x 8's notched out with a 6" x 3/8" carriage bolt going through the cross members. I made the Smitty 6" wider than my sled on both sides, one side for my pop up and 1 side for my clam plate auger.
Haven't come close to tipping it yet.

Thank you Smitty!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2019, 04:04 PM »
If the snow gets deep and one ski gets out of the trail, they can and will tip. And when they tip they do put pressure on the risers. The best advice i can give you is attach your risers ( if they are wood) so that the grain of the wood runs PERPENDICULAR to the skis. If the risers are attached to the skis so that the  wood grain runs parallel and after drilling holes for eye bolts and such, the odds of them breaking are very good if you get on uneven ground or deep snow.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:05 PM »
The carriage bolt going through the 2x4 cross member and down 6 inches into the 2x8 stabilizes the whole sled.  Another key is to cut out pieces in the 2x8 so the 2x4 lays into the 2x8.  It should be smooth across the top of the sled.  You don't want the 2x4 resting on top of the 2x8's. These sleds are easy to put together and take apart too.  You just have to take a mallet and hammer the cross member up and off of the 2x8 skis.

Same here. Here is a picture of mine. I’ve had it several years and never tipped over. My sled is fairly wide which helps with stability. It will accommodate my jet sled with hub beside. I’ve since added metal straps to the ends of the 2x4s as there is a good bit of torque when turning. Longer risers help prevent the “notch” from tearing out from turning.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:33 PM »
Good discussion boys......the original Smitty Sled has never had stability issues & I still have it to this day....

[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2019, 08:11 PM »
I used 2x6 for the uprights and 2x4's for the crossbars. uprights are attached with 3 #10 3 1/2" wood screws. the tops are notched for the 2x4's (2x3's would probably work just as well) the 2x4's are pinned with two 1/4x 3" carriage bolts on each side. 1/4 x 2" eyebolts for tie downs. I used cinch straps cuz I don't trust the bungee. keep the load low and balanced. Put the bulk of the weight toward the rear.  make sure the width of the sled is at least the width of the load. I also have a 3" screw on either end of the notches to prevent the tops from snapping off

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2019, 12:33 AM »
I made my 1st Smitty 2" narrower on both sides then my hut.  I found that when I tightened the ratchet straps down tight they pulled the 2 ski assemblies outward and bent the carriage bolts.  My re-design was made to the same width as my hut and the ratchet straps pull straight upward now and holds my hut very secure.  I also use 2 larger dia carriage bolts (3/8" and 5" long) at each end of the cross ties for more strength and they go down into the risers a full 3".  Now, I do not have anymore problems.  As stated above until the bolts get worn in the risers, you should carry a rubber mallet to dis-assemble at the end of the day.

Offline JeJa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Retired and loving it
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2019, 07:21 AM »
I added 2

I added 2*2 pieces to the cross member on both sides. Very sturdy with the cross member in the 2*6, bolt, and added 2*2.

Somedays its not worthwhile chewing thru the restraints

Offline Augerholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 25, 2019, 12:28 PM »
So it sounds like your not screwing the cross members to the risers, just putting carriage bolts through the cross members and into holes drilled into the risers, so you can take it apart each time? I like that idea for portability, but does that give the stability needed.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 25, 2019, 12:51 PM »
So it sounds like your not screwing the cross members to the risers, just putting carriage bolts through the cross members and into holes drilled into the risers, so you can take it apart each time? I like that idea for portability, but does that give the stability needed.

Yes, that’s how most folks do it. I’ve had no issues, stability or otherwise, with this method in seven seasons of use. Be sure and mark the position and direction of your cross members after you drill them so that the bolts line up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.