Author Topic: Hand Augers  (Read 2688 times)

Offline tdannhauser30

• IceShanty Rookie
Hand Augers
« on: Mar 03, 2019, 09:31 PM »
Soooooooooo left my dads Lazer that hes had forever a few weeks ago so gotta replace it. was just gonna buy another 8 inch lazer but am having trouble finding one in stock this late season... I know nils are hands down the best but the price tag for an 8 inch hand auger is not somethin I am about to do. whats comparable to a lazer?? Eskimo hand augers are garbage like Moras yes? Any input would be helpful. I know tons of posts of augers already but seems mostly about fancy gas or electric ones. we ol' fashion here.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Hand Augers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2019, 09:52 PM »
An auger is only as good as the sharpness of the blades. A mora or equivalent Eskimo with shaver blades is fine as long as they are sharp. A mora with good blades is better than a Nils with crappy dull blades.

Lazers are good. I have a 7” that has cut a ton of holes. The downside is that 7” Lazer blades can be a bit tricky to find. If you can track down a Nero that might be the way to go. Price point is in line with a Lazer, offset handle, works pretty good on a drill.....but it might be more difficult to track a Nero down than it will be to find a Lazer.

Offline tdannhauser30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2019, 10:00 PM »
If anyone knows where to get an  8 or even 7 inch lazer right now let me know. I have been looking a bit and most places seem to be out of stock of the 8's.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2019, 10:14 PM »
Ohh brother. Left it, huh? Your penance should be using the spoon auger from the back of the garage.

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2019, 10:15 PM »
Strikrmaster on Amazon shows that they are in stock.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2019, 11:09 PM »
I wouldn't exactly call Moras garbage. They're not quite as good as a lazer, but only about half the price and worth every penny. I have a 15 year old Mora that will outdrill my Mag 2000 any day on 12" of ice or less. (Anything over 12-15", my shoulder and arm starts getting tired and I slow down.) Like footsteps said: blade sharpness is everything, also the availability of replacement blades.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2019, 01:53 AM »
Bummer deal that you left the Lazer but where did you hear that Moras and Eskimos are garbage? I’m assuming you haven’t used either. Either of them are far from garbage. I’ve used all three by hand and attached to a drill. Keeping the blades sharp is priority #1 with any auger.

I know you want (and probably should) replace the Lazer with another Lazer but don’t rule out moras and eskimos just because you “heard” they were garbage. Lazers aren’t cheap but just because the others are less expensive doesn’t make them any less capable of drilling a hole. 9 times out of 10 with augers, the problem with them is the guy using it.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline johnb340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2019, 07:25 AM »
I've read so many posts about the Mora being inferior and junk that I guess I'm having a hard time understanding because it has not been my experience at all.
Does it have to be an 8"?  My son in law bought a new 8" mora and I have an old 6" mora where the handle threads into the blue bottom.  It was such a huge difference drilling by hand with the 8" compared to my 6" that he doesn't use the 8" and we take mine.  I've pulled some good size Northerns and bass thru a 6" hole on tipups. I mainly jig up panfish so I don' t need anything larger.  A used 6" mora can be had for really cheap and I really like the old threaded 6" after putting the stainless blades on many years ago.

This year after drilling thru 2 ft of ice repeatedly I decided to buy a milwaukee drill that came with two 5ah batteries and also an ice adapter and it's super.  I'd like to drill against other augers out there just to see what kind of difference there is just for myself.   I don't think many people run this combo so I'll tell you my experience so far.  The first day I used it we drilled about 40 holes in 2 ft of ice and I still had 2 bars left on the first battery.  I'm not even sure how many holes it will drill with 2 batteries but it's alot.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2019, 07:33 AM »
Neros are both good and inexpensive.

Look at a Nero.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2019, 08:48 AM »
Neros are both good and inexpensive.

Look at a Nero.

X2 ;)

Offline tdannhauser30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2019, 08:56 AM »
Only experience I have with a more is this old one  I have been using, quite old and got it with the hut when I bought it used so its probably not the sharpest thing out there haha.  Never used an Eskimo but it just looks so similar to the Mora I figured it would probably perform the same. I have tried to keep my Mora in good shape and be careful with it but man that thing is a bearrrr to drill reguardless it sems. hangs up and have to apply a ton of pressure to get it to actually shave any ice.

https://www.amazon.com/Strike-Master-STRIKEMASTER-LAZER-2-PIECE/dp/B00QXVQSQU/

Thanks 3300,
 I saw that one available too but its like 140 bucks for a lazer, feel like I have seen them way cheaper before. He doesn't need a replacement thatt bad lol

Offline tdannhauser30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2019, 08:56 AM »
Looking at fancy finbors now

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2019, 09:17 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/Strike-Master-STRIKEMASTER-LAZER-2-PIECE/dp/B00QXVQSQU/

Thanks 3300,
 I saw that one available too but its like 140 bucks for a lazer, feel like I have seen them way cheaper before. He doesn't need a replacement that bad lol

retail is 109$
i bought mine new for 70$ at a ice fishing show and the vendor matched a discount coupon from gander.

95$
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/strikemaster-lazer-2-pc-hand-auger?a=1592193
EXPECTED AVAILABILITY: 3/25/2019

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
<===Lefty===

Offline tdannhauser30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2019, 09:27 AM »
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/nero-folding-7-hand-ice-auger-with-drill-adapter-and-extension?a=2157724

Can't go wrong with this setup.

Thank ya lefty!!!!
That looks like an awesome deal. IDK why I am so nervous about getting something with the offset handles. Is this thing comparable to a lazer?

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2019, 09:33 AM »
I got a work sharp blade sharpener for Christmas and thought I'd try sharpening my old dusty Mora.  The blades are pretty much straight on it compared to my Lazer hand auger.  Well the Mora works just as good as my Lazer now.  16" of ice takes 60 cranks and I rest at 40.  I have a lazer Mag Express but use the hand augers when I have to walkin like now because of the snow.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2019, 09:34 AM »
I think I got 10% off right now at this place if you want the code private masage me.. code: tenflash good till 3-5-19. Flash sale .. at optics planet also google cupons for optics planET see if better deal out there?

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/strikemaster-lazer-auger.html?_iv_code=3NH-F0-STR1338-LD-8&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt_6euufo4AIVVJ7ACh0dIAs8EAQYBSABEgLqhvD_BwE

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2019, 09:42 AM »
Thank ya lefty!!!!
That looks like an awesome deal. IDK why I am so nervous about getting something with the offset handles. Is this thing comparable to a lazer?
offset handle is no issue. Thing I liked about the Nero is the set up is drill ready. I chase gills so I actually went with a 5” auger. Checked out a lot of videos this cut as good as any of the others! Getting out tomorrow So will post a first impression.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2019, 09:59 AM »
Thank ya lefty!!!!
Never used a Lazer but this thing rips with no effort at all. Make sure you turn both handles and not just the bottom. I saw a guy do a video of it and he was trying to keep the top handle stationary which defeats the purpose of offset handles.  Watch this guy use one. Of course this is a Russian one that turns counter clock wise but it is about the same with the American Russian auger.
<===Lefty===

Offline tdannhauser30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2019, 10:13 AM »
Alright looks like he's getting one of these. I might look for an 8 inch but 7 will prob be sufficient. That trustworthy Russian sold me lol. The one from sportsmans warehouse will turn the way I am accustomed to?

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2019, 10:23 AM »
I have a Nero and it works great, by hand or by Drill.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2019, 10:27 AM »
Alright looks like he's getting one of these. I might look for an 8 inch but 7 will prob be sufficient. That trustworthy Russian sold me lol. The one from sportsmans warehouse will turn the way I am accustomed to?
Check out Marine General. Three days from order till it was at my door flat rate shipping.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline FrozenJig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2019, 10:30 AM »
I've had my trusty Mora for 15+ years. I do replace the blades every few years but it's as reliable as it gets. Won't hear a bad word out of me about Mora's.
Look for the beer flag, that's where i'm at

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2019, 12:17 PM »

I have the 7", turns clockwise like my strikemaster mora

Offline niceout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2019, 12:39 PM »
been hardwater fishin' almost 30 yrs
have an 8" mora, sharp blades, never had a problem
my buddy uses a 6" mora , way easier, but the holes freeze up quite a bit quicker
l really like the 8" vs 6" unless it's end of season warm day
then l might even bust out the 5" spoon
l'd have to agree it's all about sharp
even a dull spud is a drag

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 04, 2019, 04:40 PM »
8" is the way to go. It may be a little harder drilling, but worth it in my opinion.

Offline tdannhauser30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 04, 2019, 05:11 PM »
Thank you guys for all your input. He's cool with the Nero so I am gonna go with that.  Chilly Willy appreciate the offer but guess I am gonna try somethin new. And for all you Mora lovers out there  don't get me wrong I honestly love the thing even though the entire thing must way 15 lbs, is 1 piece w/ no height adjustment so is super tall which is annoying, and is incredibly dull now lol. Despite all of this I know its going to cut a hole, just gonna take some real effort lol. There is something to be said for its reliability even w the dull blades.

Some Cultures tattoo ya to become a man, some whip ya, some burn ya.. I just ask ya to drill my 7 holes w my mora... Thats the real test of a man lol

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 18, 2019, 10:06 PM »
I've been using a Mora 8 inch since the early 70's.  I bought a second set of blades and have been sharpening both sets since then.  Yes, sharpening is a long task....especially when using stones and oil but the blades get razor sharp.  There have been days where I needed to use a hatchet in order to open up the top of the hole so that the auger will get through the ice.  It gets cold up here in Quebec.  A few years ago, I decided to buy a gas auger but the hand auger still gets use when I have to walk long distances to the fishing spot.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 19, 2019, 10:16 AM »
The nero. Using my buddys lazer was like pulling teeth after a season of using my nero. Cut through ~30inches in greenbay no problem.
Team Comfy Skunks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.